Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms & Convective Discussion

Tim B

Posted
gutted PP.iv'e never seen anything like it in my entire life.

flashflood came through the nursery.and not a thing we could do to stop it.

i knew it was bad,when it picked up intensity around 1.45pm.

sorry to hear it's affected your business so badly.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Wow

What a storm that was,! Hospital in Gateshead got hit 3 times , we was out trying to doge lightning, as alarms w2as going off all over the place, got soaked, Lightning was excellent, and the thunder was the loudest i have heard it for a very long time!, im back home now, and my rain gauge here in Gosforth just acumulated 2,0mm rain for today, so it looks like Gosforth was on the edge, glad i was working, only trouble was with me working i couldnt take no pictures ,Grrrrr

Posted

The 'storm' to the SW is very reluctant to make any northward movement so we are only recieving light rain atm and the floodwater in my garden has sub-sided now.

I'm still hoping the 'storm' or heavy rain will make it here but i have me doubts, not that i will be all that fussed though considering we had plenty of rain today.

Posted

Those storms around me appear to be dissipating now and the rumbles have stopped though it feels more humid than ever, if what I am guessing is right then we are experiencing phases of pulse storms which cannot be good for areas that can flood easily.

@ the above post it might be worth mentioning this here so it doesn't get overlooked.

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=55680

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
latest FAX output has removed the trough over the SW/Wales/Mids tomorrow afternoon (at 1pm)? :lol:

http://212.100.247.145/fax/PPVE89.png

Looks even better to me , that front will have developed a "wave " along it so basically it will be very slow moving towards the east so torrential rain for some and some perhaps severe storms breaking out ahead of that front over the Midlands and with decent cape and LI things really should go out with a bang..... :lol:

Posted
Those storms around me appear to be dissipating now and the rumbles have stopped though it feels more humid than ever, if what I am guessing is right then we are experiencing phases of pulse storms which cannot be good for areas that can flood easily.

@ the above post it might be worth mentioning this here so it doesn't get overlooked.

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=55680

yes Brickfielder gave a forecast, based on the fact that there was a trough present. Well that's gone now :lol: However it can easily pop back up again, I've seen it happen many a time :lol:

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
Looks even better to me , that front will have developed a "wave " along it so basically it will be very slow moving towards the east so torrential rain for some and some perhaps severe storms breaking out ahead of that front over the Midlands and with decent cape and LI things really should go out with a bang..... :lol:

has the system in the SW moved a little further east.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

JOHN. I would LOVE to sort out my address etc. Sorry, can't do it. Need help. Please be patient till a techie calls in.

The Bowland Fells are just north of the Ribble, ie the fells north of Clitheroe. I'm at 550ft at the extreme SW corner with open views. Postcide PR3. 12 miles from Preston.

Meanwhile that big thundercloud that came across from Manchester way is now banging approx over Skipton, eastwards from here. Looking black to south of here also.

Posted

The storm has moved away to the north now and there's nothing else to concentrate on!

It's like somebody turned off a switch and all the convection disappeared!

The cells in Wales have intensified and formed a line but the flow is keeping them away.

Karyo

JOHN. I would LOVE to sort out my address etc. Sorry, can't do it. Need help. Please be patient till a techie calls in.

The Bowland Fells are just north of the Ribble, ie the fells north of Clitheroe. I'm at 550ft at the extreme SW corner with open views. Postcide PR3. 12 miles from Preston.

Meanwhile that big thundercloud that came across from Manchester way is now banging approx over Skipton, eastwards from here. Looking black to south of here also.

To be fair you, post your location at the start of your posts, so it doesnt really matter it isnt on the left hand side.

You can go here http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?a...rCP&CODE=01 and enter your location in the your Location' section.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
Normally I'm pessimistic about the chances of storms for my area but for tomorrow I'm optimistic. Why? Well when you have soaring temps touching 30C and a cold front/trough coming in from the West, not to mention high SB CAPE, well then you have to fancy your chances of seeing a good storm if you are from the Midlands.

Meto say that some showers will break out over the West Mids and Thundery rain will come through in the afternoon, to me, that's vague but it does suggest further that the Midlands will see something interesting over the next 48 hours.

The scenario you describe is identical to what occured on July 3rd 2001....not sure many people in the west of the UK have forgotten what went on then!

Posted

i agree with weather 09, the potential for some significant thunderstorms to develop due to the cold front moving east. It looks like it's going to be fairly slow moving thus giving the potential for some large hail, maybe golf ball size, especially over the Welsh mountains on the Moors in South East England

Posted
The scenario you describe is identical to what occured on July 3rd 2001....not sure many people in the west of the UK have forgotten what went on then!

Don't remember it at all myself (probably because i have always lived in Kent!) but here's the pressure chart at midnight on the following night: :lol:

bracka20010704.gif

Posted

Cancel what I said earlier about the lack of convection. A tower has just shoot up out of nowhere to the east/southeast of me. I'd say Derbyshire area. Can anybody from that area confirm?

Karyo

Posted

Quite a rare thing to see the sort of convection and thunderstorms that some places in the northeast of england have seen today.

The pictures below were taken at about 12 noon of a cell that shot up to the southwest of newcastle.

The thunder could be clearly heard from that cell despite it being a fair distance away.

Had a torrential downpour with thunder at about 2pm,which is probably the same one which caused mayhem up at consett.

Still some rumbles of thunder here at the moment.

Posted
Can anyone confirm storms near channel islands.

There are some over northern France but I cannot see any that I would call near at the moment.

Nice pics Cloud 10, that rapid development is the same as I saw to my south east today, it was amazing how quickly the CB I was watching developed in to an electrified storm.

Posted
There are some over northern France but I cannot see any that I would call near at the moment.

cool some v nice cells going up in france looking good so far with some lightening being detected.

Posted

Two anvils now in view towards my south (north wales area) although nothing showing on the radars yet. Difficult to see properly but appear to be mid to high level convection.

Posted

i dont think wev'e had the last of this today.

its bouncing down,and loads of places still flooded :girl_devil:

Posted

A stunning skyline both east and west now alt-cas at it`s best for quite a long while with mid-level towers going up with this heat into TCU a few,I did take a pic but it looks better still now.

Explosive development along the west once again can see more today 10 showers alone thunder CB`s,just that little bit further west to yesterday and this is what happens on days like today,a few very distant rumbles heard aswell.

Posted

That convection in west wales is actually visible from here. Looking at sat24, I am approx 40 miles directly east of the southern tip of the convection, would suggest mid level convection. Stratus and Altrostratus has steadily broken up here allowing this view over many miles. Note I am near the top of a valley and sit 390m asl

Posted

Aye, those cells in Wales look exactly like the storms that clipped me earlier judging by the radar, albeit slightly bigger.