Cold?
IGNORED

Storms & Convective Discussion

Tim B

Posted
Its not in mine...yet. Little help anyone? :lol:

http://estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showfor...ormforecast.xml :D

Bit odd, the 2nd paragraph :lol:

he seems to be having a dig at the past two forecasts which uses the word "airmass" instead of, as he puts it, "air mass" or "air-mass". Talk about having your argument in public! :lol:

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

sounds good Ian.thx for that....

well sferics are being picked up on radar..

certainly intensifying..

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Is something happening south of Manchester?

Im in south Manc. Cloud of little interest at the moment coming over again from the south and gone VERY humid again in last 15 mins, but looking south cant see anything to get excited about tbh

Posted
oh good just the fact we havn't seen any storms in this heatwave apart from last week when i saw distant lightening and thunder.

Yes, it's been hit and miss, for sure. We had neat little thundery airmass cell pop-up just south of Bristol over the weekend, which inspired some nice viewer photographs taken after dark of CG's near Long Ashton, but the main action was the line of intense cells which 'grazed' Glastonbury Festival on Friday night and heralded a busy spell for the Fire & Rescue Service down that way, tackling lightning-induced structural damage and lightning-ignited property fires in parts of Dorset and Bridgwater, Som. I suspect they might be equally busy in some (maybe the same!??) districts tomorrow, too. Oh yes, and on the topic of local convective weather recently, we had the interesting funnel cloud in South Wilts on Friday evening, formed from some non-thundery and very low-precip convergence cells near Stonehenge. I received good photos of this one from different witnesses (I showed them on TV in our Saturday evening bulletin).

Posted
Yes, it's been hit and miss, for sure. We had neat little thundery airmass cell pop-up just south of Bristol over the weekend, which inspired some nice viewer photographs taken after dark of CG's near Long Ashton, but the main action was the line of intense cells which 'grazed' Glastonbury Festival on Friday night and heralded a busy spell for the Fire & Rescue Service down that way, tackling lightning-induced structural damage and lightning-ignited property fires in parts of Dorset and Bridgwater, Som. I suspect they might be equally busy in some (maybe the same!??) districts tomorrow, too. Oh yes, and on the topic of local convective weather recently, we had the interesting funnel cloud in South Wilts on Friday evening, formed from some non-thundery and very low-precip convergence cells near Stonehenge. I received good photos of this one from different witnesses (I showed them on TV in our Saturday evening bulletin).

(and of course I mean air mass :) )

Posted

Where in bristol do you live do you know where warmley or kingswood are.

Posted
Where in bristol do you live do you know where warmley or kingswood are.

Sure do. I'm up in the NW (Bradley Stoke area).

Posted

The severe risk bit is mainly for the heavy rain though, isn't it?

Posted
Sure do. I'm up in the NW (Bradley Stoke area).

My dad lives in winterbourne if you know where that is i go there every weekend.

Posted

Evening all :)

Any Chance for the southerners to catch some good old storms tomorrow?

This heat is starting to get unbearable :)

Posted
(and of course I mean air mass :) )

:) got to laugh at their public argument! No doubt at the next AGM PUCIK will get a right talking to :)

The severe risk bit is mainly for the heavy rain though, isn't it?

Yep, i see no severe storms mentioned there? :)

Posted
Looks like the storms in SE Scotland have completely died out, surprising given the high dew points and fairly high humidity.

yep only had one clap of thunder this evening i going to cry :):)

Posted
Yeh they did mention this earlier, I'll check the 10.30pm forecast.

Exactly right. Still a risk of severe t-storms but next model output might downplay the thundery element; we shall see. In any event, it's the rainfall that remains the key (and perhaps disruptive, for some) feature.

Posted
Exactly right. Still a risk of severe t-storms but next model output might downplay the thundery element; we shall see. In any event, it's the rainfall that remains the key (and perhaps disruptive, for some) feature.

sorry to ask, but what are the prospects for the southeast on Friday? I'm not really liking the GFS keeping all the good stuff in East Anglia :) Your thoughts would be much appreciated :)

thanks.

Posted

Yet again Thunderstorms missed us by a couple of miles, but we heard some rumbles and there were reports of torrential rain and lightning at our nearest village to the East, Bethesda - Still feeling muggy and we could see some storms tomorrow afternoon

Posted

Looking at the latest MetO radar and Sat pics (dont have NW extra lol), it is still looking very good for you guys in Devon and Somerset. Get your cameras ready for the rest of us :)

Posted

at least there is some lightening coming out of this import so not all bad news it may decay in lightening is it moves over channel but oh well.

Posted

Interesting, some increased development over the channel from the large area of rain heading up into the south west.

Could they be high based storms? It looks like the embedded cells are feeding off an area of high MLCAPE, the question still remains though as to if the area of instability will feed far enough northwards or whether like the last two recent scenarios similar to this, thundery activity will be limited.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
sorry to ask, but what are the prospects for the southeast on Friday? I'm not really liking the GFS keeping all the good stuff in East Anglia :) Your thoughts would be much appreciated :)

thanks.

Well the north sea cloud has again rolled in , wasn't it supposed to bugger off with the wind change?.

Still though it is really nice and cool outside , but i don't like north sea rubbish with storms

Posted
Looking at the latest MetO radar and Sat pics (dont have NW extra lol), it is still looking very good for you guys in Devon and Somerset. Get your cameras ready for the rest of us :)

its expanding on its northern edge towards Devon