Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms & Convective Discussion

Tim B

Posted

It hasn't rained here for two weeks and June was the 5th dry month in a row here coupled with the decent amount of sunshine we have had the ground has dried out and the grass is nearly all brown so i think we need some rain hopefully we won't get too much of a deluge though.

Posted
It was a cloudburst here with gusty wnds that ripped the branches of trees. Also local flooding.

Sounds impressive! You must have received the direct hit. I only had some moderate rainfall.

What do you think about the precipitation the radar shows for south of Manchester? I think it's an anaprop!

Karyo

Posted

Is that mass on the radar to the south of Manchester anaprop? :clap:

Ha, Karyo you beat me too It

Edited by Chassisbot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
Sounds impressive! You must have received the direct hit. I only had some moderate rainfall.

What do you think about the precipitation the radar shows for south of Manchester? I think it's an anaprop!

Karyo

I think it's anaprop too Karyo. Why would that one cell be moving in a Southerly direction after they've all been moving north today?

Posted

a few heavy cells hitting Cornwal now

Though cant see any sferics from the showers down there

Edited by dogs32

I think it's anaprop too Karyo. Why would that one cell be moving in a Southerly direction after they've all been moving north today?

[personificate] I guess some like to be the centre of attention and break the mould. If I were a storm I would! :D :huh: [/personificate]

No it's anaprop :clap: :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
What does anaprop mean?

Essentially just false returns on radar. When radar waves are refracted by things like inversions down to the ground, and are then reflected back, it shows up as a return, but in reality there's nothing there. There's a load out in the North Sea at the moment.

Edit: 1035 forecast mentioned the cold front weakening as it travels East. Doesn't bode well, but you never do know...

Edited by Paul R

Posted
Essentially just false returns on radar. When radar waves are refracted by things like inversions down to the ground, and are then reflected back, it shows up as a return, but in reality there's nothing there. There's a load out in the North Sea at the moment.

Edit: 1035 forecast mentioned the cold front weakening as it travels East. Doesn't bode well, but you never do know...

yes the stuff in the north sea happens everytime there's fog there! Which is what is there tonight :clap:

Posted

Thanks guys, anaprop it is then!

Regardless of what happens tomorrow with any storms, I am looking forward to the cool down on Friday! It won't be fun trying to sleep to sleep tonight...

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

We dont want that MCS to come to us tbh, it will screw over tomorrow like one did last Friday.

Posted

Theres something wrong if theres no thunder forecast tomorrow, don`t understand why, should be thundery rain anyway,this would normally deliver some mid-level lightning and no thunder from turret form to start and that was in the afternoon,with the heat we have now,I remember a spectacular mid-level storms with the temps we have 1c lower infact,but what will tomorrow bring.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn242.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn2417.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack0.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Glad to hear that Kookylou, really looking forward to some heavy rain. I've kept thinking it will happen for the past couple of days :clap:

Very sorry to hear what happened to Peter F's nursery earlier. Saw on the news about the torrential rain in that location. Don't want it that bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Oh dear, major downgrade on the CAPE front, but still I'm optimistic, hopefully cold front/trough will deliver. Also looks to be a CZ set-up from afternoon onwards.

It still looks brilliant i think!

15:00 isnt very good but all explodes by 18:00. :clap:

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Heard two rumbles or rather two bangs. Would say it's quite some way away. Raining here and feeling cool now.

Posted
Glad to hear that Kookylou, really looking forward to some heavy rain. I've kept thinking it will happen for the past couple of days :doh:

Very sorry to hear what happened to Peter F's nursery earlier. Saw on the news about the torrential rain in that location. Don't want it that bad.

well i will keep my fingers crossed for you!! as i sit here again next to the fan and dreading going to bed as it's too damn hot haha!! just kidding :) enjoy them!!!

Posted

oh dear looks to be dying out.. All the good stuff is heading out to sea towards southern Ireland.. All the rest is going fut.. Had a brief gust of ice cold wind oo it felt good.. Now back to stillness and heat. Not expecting any T-storms for North Devon tomorrow. But Dorset and Somerset are looking good.

kaz

Posted

Spare a thought for us freezing our arses off on the East Coast - Already down to 15c with a brisk wind off the North Sea - Absolutely down right cold out there again, mind you it only maxed at 19c today at Shoeburyness :):doh:

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe t/ storms, rain, snow, wind!

Temp outside atm is 22.5oC!

Anyone know if Dorset will be hit tonight/tomorrow?