Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
Better late than never, though I am gobsmacked that Hants, Surrey and Greater London have not been included!

Was pretty tired until I caught up, now suddenly awake,

Harry might be like last sat you think

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
I'm about to Orgasm LOL.

:lol: Err, thanks for sharing Beka, gotta admire a girls frankness and enthusiasm!!!!

Posted
I've just stood in the kitchen and done the washing up in the dark so I could look for flashes.........nothing :lol:

yeah just stood by window hoping for reflections in sky and window on house opposite but nowt! :) :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
These storms are moving Northerly or in a NNW direction right? Will they dissipate before reaching Bucks, London area. I'm thinking yes at the moment.

N'ly i think - put growing slightly to the west.

I am thinking these storms could hold on in there. Should reach you about 2/3am.

Unfortunately for me it looks as if they would not get here until about 9am, which is when storms tend to die out. May still take a drive south, but need to be more certain of developments.

Posted
I've just stood in the kitchen and done the washing up in the dark so I could look for flashes.........nothing :lol:

TN9 in Tonbridge can see it apparently, so Maidstone should be able to.

I am going to head out in about half an hour to see if I can pick anything up in the distance :lol: ...not that I am desperate, but its far too warm to sleep anyway!

Posted

very active in dover now, both kids are up and the thunder and lightning are constant, still not rain though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow
Is it me, or has the lightning on the IOW tracker just jumped right across the sea? Its showing strikes on land in UK now? It was just getting to the edge of leaving land in France?

Lightning detectors can be a little off at times, as the storm gets closer to where they are baised they become more accurate :lol:

Kain

Posted

Did anybody just see that lightening on the Dover Port Webcam.....we are in for a treat tonight???

Just need it over Rayleigh now as I've had a drink and cannot go out chasing in my state :lol: :lol:

Posted
Is it me, or has the lightning on the IOW tracker just jumped right across the sea? Its showing strikes on land in UK now? It was just getting to the edge of leaving land in France?

Triangulation/calibration is slightly out. It shows them right over my head at the moment and they are still out at sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A couple of sharp showers have popped up on the radar for the west midlands, one moderate drifting to the NW of Brum, and a quite potent cell heading up through Salops towards chester.....worth keeping an eye on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

As the humidity is still very high in most places, my guess is that the storms will have more fuel to track further still, its still quite hot also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty, Foggy, Cold, Snowy, Windy, Thunder
Lightning detectors can be a little off at times, as the storm gets closer to where they are baised they become more accurate :lol:

Kain

Thanks for that!

Thought I was going mad, I looked away for 1 min and they where still over in france and then I looked back and they where on land in the uk! I thought bloody hell thats shifting lol!

Thanks for explaining that to me!

Posted
The line of storms appears to actually be the cold front itself, whats happened is that the surface low has caused a wave in the cold front, causing the Northern section to stay stuck out West and the Southern section to begin swinging Northwards. Looking at sat the air behind the storms is clear of instability, and looking at a Brittany webcam earlier it seemed the skies were pretty fresh looking, (if you know what I mean), so expect these storms to clear the air somewhat I think, the cool air is making its attack Northwards from France rather than from the West, as has been the case a lot this year. :lol:

Completely agree with that assessment... and many examples this year. If you 'interpolated' the FAX charts in your head and cut out the potential for ambiguity in between, its a pretty obvious outcome.

Posted
GFS? If you're looking at the precip charts don't get your hopes up, I too see that the precip for the Midlands Northwards intensifies by morning though this could be anything, it may not even happen.

ah.cheers mate was looking at the cape

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Take this with a pinch of salt lol, but i think your peeps in the midlands are in for a treat tonight :lol: . This beast will be push N hitting yorkshire n lincs too, why am i so certain? Because i can feel it coming in the air tonight ohhhh lord.

Seriously the MCS has more much more intensity and energy (BODY too it/structure to just thundery showers, they can sap up all the energy and heat avaliable and keep growing.)

Current temp here in hull is 16.8c warmest night tonight, 15.9C dew point, and relative humidity at 88%.

Good luck peeps

I agree Lewis, despite what other members may have posted, I've a hunch as posted earlier, that parts of the midlands (roughly on a line from the Wirral to the IOW) might be in for a pleasant surprise heading towards daybreak!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Just had an almighty flash and clearly saw the structure of the storm , AWESOME!. Really menacing looking and great to watch :lol:

Maidstone Weather go out for a drive lol

Posted

Am I the only one who thinks, while the to the E of the Kent coast the storms have gone ballistic, the western side seems to be being pulled westwards, albeit not as intense that side at the moment!

I get a feeling the storms towards the E could pull more westerly, with the storms running up from the south slamming into them creating one HUGE MCS....isnt that wishful thinking :D

Posted
Glidescope....what direction you looking at this lightening?

Evening FE, popped out and looked SE from here, had to get away from street lamps tho, can see the flashing high up in the sky.

Steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
Small shower developing on the N.Wales border heading towards Chester it seems.

Yeah I spotted that about 20 minutes ago. I don't think it'll about to particularly much, but you never know. In any case, not moving too fast and it's quite a tiny shower.