Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
Quick question whats the furthest away a storm can be to see lightning?

At night its a lot easier to spot... there are some rules of thumb somewhere depending on anvil height, but visibility would matter. A quick Google seems to suggest 20 miles in mid-latitudes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
you will see lightning soon Harry

I am well and truly holding you to that TN9 lol!

Have you seen any yet??

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

THUNDER!!!

Lots of flashing going on , i'm being attacked from the south and south east :)

Posted

Not having a dig at NW...Maidstone...but no warning was issued for Scotland until after 1pm yet BBC said this morning that there would be thundery showers breaking out all over Scotland today (except me that is).... :lol:

In that sense, they were correct.

Edited by Trancemaster1966

Posted
Better late than never, though I am gobsmacked that Hants, Surrey and Greater London have not been included!

If it reaches land Harry and grows at the rate it seems to be doing across the water then there is a good chance that anyone could see something.

Posted

Wind picking up now, getting louder, dog hiding and both cats in - oh, and one of the kids is up. Not going to bed yet then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

http://www.meteox.nl/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3...;soort=satradar

Holy crap attacked or what LOL , this is a good storm and the thunder although distant sounds mean :lol:

Posted

The line of storms appears to actually be the cold front itself, whats happened is that the surface low has caused a wave in the cold front, causing the Northern section to stay stuck out West and the Southern section to begin swinging Northwards. Looking at sat the air behind the storms is clear of instability, and looking at a Brittany webcam earlier it seemed the skies were pretty fresh looking, (if you know what I mean), so expect these storms to clear the air somewhat I think, the cool air is making its attack Northwards from France rather than from the West, as has been the case a lot this year. :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Distant rumbles here and can see flashes out to sea.

Posted
Here's hoping in South Bucks, well i'm not exactly Eastbourne but i'm far from Manchester, I hope these beasts don't dissipate in the next few hours and some of us here get to witness some absolute cracking storms.

Questions though anyone:

1: Does it stand a chance of reaching Bucks, I mean is dissipation highly likely, for 2009 - every import has dissipated before reaching here so....?

2: Is it moving straight Northerly or NNWesterly? I mean if that big storm near central southern england is moving north-easterly I can say goodbye to my thunderstorm chances.

Woohey, another bucks geezer :lol:

Well that storm seems to be heading in a N/W direction, however maybe too far N/W, might head through oxford, which if it does, will just miss me lol!!! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Yep and hopefully it'll clash with the front and provide me with a storm :lol:

Evening mate, jeez its still hot & sticky out there!...Tonight very much reminds me of April 15th, I think we could be in for a early morning light show....The storm cluster is heading NW and is starting to make some headway...As someone posted earlier (Roger J Smith) it's likely to interact with the slowly advancing CF over wales/SW..If these storms (and any more that might develop) get mixed up with the elevated unstable air ahead of the CF then I think they'll remain electrified for the rest of the night....Members in CS england and the midlands (yay!) might see some impressive lightning towards dawn.....possiblle, not definite!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

These storms are moving Northerly or in a NNW direction right? Will they dissipate before reaching Bucks, London area. I'm thinking yes at the moment.

Posted
I am well and truly holding you to that TN9 lol!

Have you seen any yet??

yes,in distance,quite frequent :lol:

Posted

Txt from Aunt in Peacehaven (just outside Brighton) - 'Thunder heard in distance', my reply to her was "Send it my way you lovely bundle of boobiness and I'll love u forever" which i may grow to regret :lol:

Posted
:lol:lol

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Is that on its way to you.

the left one

most violent one :lol:

weather 09.its a long shot but a good possability..these will keep going heading north.the left one

I'm about to Orgasm LOL. As soon as Kelly reports rumblings i'll start looking for lightning.

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.

I'm hoping that West Anglia might see action too :lol: , it's been bloomin' hot and oppresive bus driving the past few days :lol: .

Posted

Take this with a pinch of salt lol, but i think your peeps in the midlands are in for a treat tonight :lol: . This beast will be push N hitting yorkshire n lincs too, why am i so certain? Because i can feel it coming in the air tonight ohhhh lord.

Seriously the MCS has more much more intensity and energy (BODY too it/structure to just thundery showers, they can sap up all the energy and heat avaliable and keep growing.)

Current temp here in hull is 16.8c warmest night tonight, 15.9C dew point, and relative humidity at 88%.

Good luck peeps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I have turned the lights off and am looking out to sea and I can hear.............

A bl**dy mosquito!

Posted
I'm about to Orgasm LOL. As soon as Kelly reports rumblings i'll start looking for lightning.

DONT LET ME STOP YOU :lol:

Francias from Sky said earlier that in the night central and Southern UK could get TS break out........now looks a possability

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow
Woohey, another bucks geezer :lol:

Well that storm seems to be heading in a N/W direction, however maybe too far N/W, might head through oxford, which if it does, will just miss me lol!!! :lol:

Yeah jamie I think they're are moving Northerly, north-westerly or north north westerly, don't know why I was thinking they're moving north-easterly I don't think they are now and that's good it would put us right out the equation.

To be honest mate I think we're in a good area for tonights storms in the direction they're currently heading but chances are they'll probably die out before they reach us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty, Foggy, Cold, Snowy, Windy, Thunder

Is it me, or has the lightning on the IOW tracker just jumped right across the sea? Its showing strikes on land in UK now? It was just getting to the edge of leaving land in France?

Posted

I've just stood in the kitchen and done the washing up in the dark so I could look for flashes.........nothing :lol: