Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Nick F

Posted
Have had a surprise heavy shower here which was torrential at times and started off with very large drops. Was quite slow moving lasting around 20-25 minutes. at one point you could watch the rain moving across the nearby fields and actually hear it just before it got here, also at one point for about 10-15 secs it was raining heavily about 50 meters down the road but not here which was interesting to see.

max rain rate recorded at 48.4mm/h and the temp dropped from 21.0C to 16.3C

Clear CZ initiated line of heavy showers up through the West country now - some of the showers getting pretty heavy and clearly visible from here

Posted

A few strikes detected over Ireland with the heavy showers heading this way.

Posted

Watched this storm moving in and has so far produced several flashes followed quickly by thunder and very heavy rain at the moment.

Edited by Intrepid

Posted

After whats been a sunny cool breezy day with no sign of any showers,up pops one now out of the blue and it`s a heavy prolonged shower no sign of it stopping yet 6mm so far in 10 minutes,and blue skies to the west all through.

After last nights yesterdays rain thats just over 1 inch!!

That was the heaviest shower of the year so far with 9mm,1mm less rainfall to last night!!!

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Slight chance for storms for Northern and Scottish regions tomorrow

post-4475-1247422598_thumb.png

Posted

Latest GFS looks good for next week, it has been producing some good numbers for a variety of days next week, tuesday and friday currently look good, especially for the midlands. Also a bit of shear about at times, possible interaction of 500 CAPE with maybe 10-15 DLS which could get a few good multicells going.

On a selfish note though, looks like it might be another disappointing week for the south again with the midlands and northern parts continuing to take the brunt of the activity. If so, those regions could well be on there way to an over average spring and summer in terms of days of thunder anyway.

Looks like there will be a fair few thunderstorms about this week anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Latest GFS looks good for next week, it has been producing some good numbers for a variety of days next week, tuesday and friday currently look good, especially for the midlands. Also a bit of shear about at times, possible interaction of 500 CAPE with maybe 10-15 DLS which could get a few good multicells going.

On a selfish note though, looks like it might be another disappointing week for the south again with the midlands and northern parts continuing to take the brunt of the activity. If so, those regions could well be on there way to an over average spring and summer in terms of days of thunder anyway.

Looks like there will be a fair few thunderstorms about this week anyway.

Oh no be selfish by all means - already twice this year the Midlands/N England in particular have been forecast storms, with the South due to miss out - however what prevailed was the S and SE in particular being pumelled with the Midlands and N England missing out :clap: Tuesday and Friday are too far away IMO for GFS to be taken seriously - things could change significantly between then!

It had been noted earlier in the month that towards the end of July things could get hot again - GFS at present doesnt seem to keen on that notion!

Shall wait and see what prevails :doh:

Posted

Im away week after next week{21st July} next week , im off to my parents in Boston, Lincolnshire, for a few days im hoping for a good few days of storms

Will be taking laptop with me , just in case

nigel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Very warm here this afternoon but no showers. Next week looks interesting on a couple of days. :clap:

Posted
I do like the defined CZ on Friday but as has been said, too early to talk about storm potential for then. The next couple of days do look favourable for some storms to develop though, decent lapses on Tue as well as a few 100j of CAPE (nice hailstorms perhaps) and also note the wind direction from the South. So for people in the Midlands, all eyes on Tue. :clap:

Also had my eye on the winds coming from the south, much better for this region anyway, we rarely see anything in westerlys because of the Bristol channel directly to my west, consequently things only get going further to my east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D
I do like the defined CZ on Friday but as has been said, too early to talk about storm potential for then. The next couple of days do look favourable for some storms to develop though, decent lapses on Tue as well as a few 100j of CAPE (nice hailstorms perhaps) and also note the wind direction from the South. So for people in the Midlands, all eyes on Tue. :clap:

Does it include me again? :doh: Probably not lol.Looks like I will be remaining in 'The No storms Club ' until 2015 lol

Posted

Still raining here, it`s a rain streamer lol.

Showers clouds are cumulus/SC only.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D
Not sure B) It may turn out that from the Central Mids northwards will be where showers/storms are more prominent. Cannot be too detailed on the whens and wheres as it is quite a bit away but a southerly wind is much better for the Midlands than a Westerly since this time we won't be the 'breeding ground'.

Thanks :) I will keep my eyes on the sky and radars! I might be lucky this week you never know. B) :)

Posted
hope i see some storms next week at some pont becuse i miss a few few weeks ago B)

At the risk of been a total show off and killjoy, I hope its dry this week as I've had more storms than I know what to do with in the last 2 weeks B)

..........I'll get my coat

Edited by Chassisbot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Mentioned it in another thread - anyone reading here in the next few minutes look outside at the noctilucent clouds - they are amazing.

Unfortunately, my camera cant pick them up (my phone camera isnt good enough sadly)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
Mentioned it in another thread - anyone reading here in the next few minutes look outside at the noctilucent clouds - they are amazing.

Unfortunately, my camera cant pick them up (my phone camera isnt good enough sadly)

We had some above us before. They looked amazing; tried to get photos but my camera wasn't able to get a decent picture.

Posted

I shall post these in the other thread in a moment, but here's a shot i got about 15 mins ago

post-8218-1247436057_thumb.jpg

post-8218-1247436085_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Thanks for letting us know. This is the best I can do so far. Need lower clouds to move more. What clear patch I can see is very btight. Was about to go to bed .....

post-9606-1247437958_thumb.jpg