Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
post-6830-1247323225_thumb.jpgLooks as though the low pressure is really starting to develop now just to the west of the uk. Impressive depth to that cloud or is it my eyes?? :D8)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Some very very heavy showers moving in at the moment, Just been chased up the M5 by one.

Are we expecting thunder? its very humid round here 23c !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Overcast here, as it has been for much of the day. Light rain is just beginning to move in - I expect it will become heavier soon. It is currently so dark, it feels like a gloomy midwinter's day, and if it weren't for the time of day and the temperature, if I didn't know otherwise I'd think it could well be February.

Posted
Overcast here, as it has been for much of the day. Light rain is just beginning to move in - I expect it will become heavier soon. It is currently so dark, it feels like a gloomy midwinter's day, and if it weren't for the time of day and the temperature, if I didn't know otherwise I'd think it could well be February.

Same here, James. I think we'll seesome heavy, thundery rain overnight, although I've absolutely no evidence to support this. Just a feeling I've got.

Regards,

Mike.

Posted

Some very heavy rain atm over cornwall, anyone down that way as there looks like a potential for flooding?

Posted

Hi all, just got back from a week in Cumbria - had a look on the ATD and I don't believe my eyes for the strikes plotted on Tuesday! Definitely sod's law and all that! :doh::D

Can anyone in Kent confirm if Maidstone was actually hit, and if so if it was a good'un or a weak one? Thanks :)

Posted
Jo I was thinking this rain tonight could produce something interesting,with some very heavy downpours with this warm muggy air,looking at the radar my shower only shows as green it was much much heavier with a torrent of water about. :doh:

Been raining quite heavy now for over an hour. Much better that drizzle earlier. How's it with you?

Posted

Its been raining here all day. Not heavy as far as I'm aware but I have been in work all day. As others have said its felt quite humid but theres not really any CAPE so storms are probably not going to happen :doh: . Just checked the Netweather radar and it looks like the rain is going to last all night but again not heavy. Also, looks like tomorrow should be fairly rain free for me, which is nice. Some thunderstorms would be better though.

Posted

looking at the radar looks like there could be some wild weather in the uk to-night

Posted
Hi all, just got back from a week in Cumbria - had a look on the ATD and I don't believe my eyes for the strikes plotted on Tuesday! Definitely sod's law and all that! :nonono::)

Can anyone in Kent confirm if Maidstone was actually hit, and if so if it was a good'un or a weak one? Thanks :unsure:

Harry had 4 storms I think, some really good ones too and by the looks of the UKMO ATD it does look like Maidstone would of been hit.

Really unlucky for you though mate if you did miss some storms, i'm sure there will be more activity soon though. Still Much of July and August to go.

Posted
Been raining quite heavy now for over an hour. Much better that drizzle earlier. How's it with you?

Yes same here similar to you,been about 90 minutes now,wettest day for just over 1 month currently.

Plenty more to come.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Posted
Harry had 4 storms I think, some really good ones too and by the looks of the UKMO ATD it does look like Maidstone would of been hit.

Really unlucky for you though mate if you did miss some storms, i'm sure there will be more activity soon though. Still Much of July and August to go.

drat! :excl: I've decided I'm the bad omen for the southeast :)

anyway, cheers Dave :unsure:

incidentally as i drove along the M6 underneath a cell around Kirkby early afternoon last Monday (6th) i saw the most amazing rotation from low-level scud, it was twisting around so fast I had never seen anything like it before! The sky was so dark, even with the absence of the sun and shortly after it absolutely chucked it down with torrential rain, and occasional thunder and lightning. :nonono: So i guess i didn't have a completely storm-free week :wacko:

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
drat! :excl: I've decided I'm the bad omen for the southeast :)

anyway, cheers Dave :unsure:

incidentally as i drove along the M6 underneath a cell around Kirkby early afternoon last Monday (6th) i saw the most amazing rotation from low-level scud, it was twisting around so fast I had never seen anything like it before! The sky was so dark, even with the absence of the sun and shortly after it absolutely chucked it down with torrential rain, and occasional thunder and lightning. :nonono: So i guess i didn't have a completely storm-free week :wacko:

At least you saw something! Unfortunately you have arrived back to where the weather will be un interesting for quite a while now. Only thundery hope is mostly from any Low Pressures that take control.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Next week we should see something in the way of thunder showers or storms as LP will always be close to the UK. But for now, all there is to look forward to is rain. :)

Indeed but they are our onlyhope of showers or storms or anything remotely interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just thought I'd post this radar grap...Not especially extreme, but its the first time in 3 years subscribing to NW extra that the midlands radar has absolutley 100% precipitation! :whistling:post-4149-1247349301_thumb.png

Posted
Just thought I'd post this radar grap...Not especially extreme, but its the first time in 3 years subscribing to NW extra that the midlands radar has absolutley 100% precipitation! :whistling:post-4149-1247349301_thumb.png

ST19 Shield still switched on to an extent i see. There is a blue circle around you. Ours seems to be on and off right now. Earlier rain missed us and lately weve shared the 'fun' with everyone else. Wait this is no fun-its horrible weather for july!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
ST19 Shield still switched on to an extent i see. There is a blue circle around you. Ours seems to be on and off right now. Earlier rain missed us and lately weve shared the 'fun' with everyone else. Wait this is no fun-its horrible weather for july!

I'm glad we're getting some steady rain, its damn good for the lawn, as the puppies wee-wee is turning my lawn into sporadic brown patches of dead grass :whistling::)

Posted

The scunny rain shield has well and truly been broken this last week :) Heavy rain for the last hour and more to come :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Just checked my weather station records, 7.8mm of rain fell on Tuesday so there is no way that my location escaped showers, or storms, on Tuesday :)

Hi MW - hope you had a good holiday!

It was determined by both TN9 and myself that you posess a shield, lol! There was thunder on monday around NW Kent (though I didnt hear it as I was at work), while on Tuesday, most people in the SE got smacked by multiple and at times quite intense storms.

I got hit by 4 storms on Tuesday afternoon, and saw pretty much everything there is to see - some CGs so close it was almost frightening :D , booming thunder, torrential rain (roads flooding in seconds, lol), hail, scuds, vivid rotation and a possible funnel. The London area was fooked, with loads of stations including Victoria, closed - the usual chaos that ensues!!

Am pleased you got some thunder oop nerth too to compensate!

Looking ahead though for the SE - GFS hinting Friday 17th and Monday 20th possible watch days, with maybe Monday 20th being a mini plume event. Some days this week showing promise for the North (N England and Scotland) too. Expect change naturally, but showing more hope than the last few days :)

Posted

Have had a surprise heavy shower here which was torrential at times and started off with very large drops. Was quite slow moving lasting around 20-25 minutes. at one point you could watch the rain moving across the nearby fields and actually hear it just before it got here, also at one point for about 10-15 secs it was raining heavily about 50 meters down the road but not here which was interesting to see.

max rain rate recorded at 48.4mm/h and the temp dropped from 21.0C to 16.3C