Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Nick F

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
Hi There.

As you say, what was staggering was the localised nature of this rainfall, The White Rock weather station in town only recorded 5mm of rain in that time, where as the Hollington area and areas close to Alexandra park recorded anything up to 115mm.

The official reading was 91mm.

It is half a mile between the 5mm reading and the 115mm reading!

David Powell tells me that the grand 24hr total was 130mm for some areas in Hastings.

Totals towards Ore and Fairlight, were anything between 60mm in Ore and 70mm in my mothers rain gauge at Fairlight. Again for the period between 4am and 730am on July 7th.

Still noteworthy amounts, that caused road surfaces to be torn up and drainage covers to blow off.

The rain was truely tropical in nature, one drop was twice the size of an old style 50p piece!

It would be like someone turning a tap up and down throughout that period, between heavy and torrential every minute or so.

Interesting stats you provide for the various districts there :D I pass through Ore village virtually every day - saw some road damage evident yesterday.

When the thunder awoke me early yesterday morning I went to the curtains and saw a very turbulent, almost mid western US type skyscape to my south over the coast. The thundery downpours appeared to be moving in a narrow line from south west to north east, and those intense very local rainfall readings bear that out. Blackbrooks garden centre area just up the A21 and barely a few miles from the town, as you will know, was virtually dry early yesterday I am led to believe. Incredible contrasts in such short spaces!

Posted
Just seen the BBC graphics for the coming week - looks like an event of sorts occurring on Friday for the N Midlands and NE England in particular.

HMM - GFS showing nothing on the storm risk, CAPE or Precip side of things!

There is a front coming through but as you say, nothing on GFS this early and no other real pointers yet.

21OWS_EUROPE_FITL_PROG-BRIEFING_48.gif

Rmgfs546.gif

U48-594.GIF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
very heavy thundery rain here...

didnt expect any today...no thunder

I am not being anal, but you said you have very heavy thunder rain, but then no thunder :D which is it? lol

May need to start keeping an eye out

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
I am not being anal, but you said you have very heavy thunder rain, but then no thunder :D which is it? lol

May need to start keeping an eye out

I think (but JH will clarify?) that thundery rain doesn't need to be accompanied by actual thunder. I think that it's a generic term for that on-and-off and sometimes torrential rain that occurs in summertime???

I aint sure though, Harry. :)

Posted

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyforfun/3698758748/

Found a picture of Lightning as seen from South of the River looking North Yesterday around 530pm - Yes it was this dark

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

On the subject of localized heavy rainfall:

I recall a storm over Tunbridge Wells in early June 1970. It built-up overhead, stayed overhead and died overhead. The rainfall was immense but blue-sky was visible all around throughout. Quite amazing! :D

Posted

after yesterdays excitment looks like a possibilty next week,

latest met office

UK Outlook for Monday 13 Jul 2009 to Wednesday 22 Jul 2009:

From Monday to Friday, the weather is expected to be dominated by an area of low pressure drifting slowly eastwards across northern Britain. This will bring an unsettled mix of sunshine and showers across much of the United Kingdom, albeit with a fairly gentle wind for much of the time. Although hit-and-miss, the showers will generally be on the heavy side, especially inland during the day, when localised thundery downpours are likely. Feeling pleasantly warm when the sun's out, with temperatures around average for the time of year. Looking ahead to the weekend and the start of the following week, the bright but showery theme is set to continue, with a significant settling down of the weather thought to be unlikely at this stage.

Updated: 1139 on Wed 8 Jul 2009

my days off work next week wednesday & thursday so please thor send us some bolts

Edited by gpspete

Posted

latest met office

From Monday to Friday, the weather is expected to be dominated by an area of low pressure drifting slowly eastwards across northern Britain. This will bring an unsettled mix of sunshine and showers across much of the United Kingdom, albeit with a fairly gentle wind for much of the time. Although hit-and-miss, the showers will generally be on the heavy side, especially inland during the day, when localised thundery downpours are likely. Feeling pleasantly warm when the sun's out, with temperatures around average for the time of year. Looking ahead to the weekend and the start of the following week, the bright but showery theme is set to continue, with a significant settling down of the weather thought to be unlikely at this stage.

my days off work next week wednesday & thursday so please thor send us some bolts

Sounds like a week similar to the last couple of days then, NICE!

Awesome pic of the lightning also!

Posted

There is a Very Interesting Cloudbase over the London area right now - Lots of Little lowerings with an Ink Black Base. I have left my camera at home but if anyone in the area has one please be on the lookout for needle Funnels.

Paul S

Posted

Ooh wow! Didn't notice that baby slowly encroaching :winky:

Posted
Yes you are right. That's why it's called 'Thundery' rain because it has intensity of rain which would often occur in a thunderstorm so therefore does not need to be accompanied by thunder to be termed thundery. You'll see the MetO often putting it on their forecasts whenever a front arrives in the Summer and brings with it prolonged thundery downpours but not necessarily any thunder.

PT and the above poster are correct-it is used to describe the intensity

Posted
PT and the above poster are correct-it is used to describe the intensity

Ooh you learn something every day :o I naturally assumed thundery rain was heavy rain with thundery activity mixed in.

Bit misleading though, and pointless IMO - purely because of some of the comments I read as a result of commuters being disrupted - the people who thought it was a "joke" that the downpour from a full blown thunderstorm (almost severe thunderstorm with some of the characteristics it displayed) should disrupt their travel :winky: ...funny though.

Also, not seen anything of interesting under that dark base over London - doesn't seem to be producing that much precip either :doh:

Edited by Harry

Posted

I cant see anything realy interesting with storms at present on the charts or other web sites to do with Storms..

Though its early days

still waiting for the first storm here..

According to Paul.S's video it wont be until 2015

The only thing I saw was a possible heavy area of rain for the South at some point

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

my account of the storms in Norfolk 060709 and 070709

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=55857

Posted

latest met office

How annoying, I missed everything yesterday and im going to be in Belarus from the 15th - 24th so looks like im gonna miss everything again. :good:

Posted
Ooh you learn something every day :) I naturally assumed thundery rain was heavy rain with thundery activity mixed in.

Bit misleading though, and pointless IMO - purely because of some of the comments I read as a result of commuters being disrupted - the people who thought it was a "joke" that the downpour from a full blown thunderstorm (almost severe thunderstorm with some of the characteristics it displayed) should disrupt their travel :good: ...funny though.

I always put thundery rain as no sun about with rain not neccessarily heavy it can be light with thunder the odd few flashes of lightning or maybe no IC`s with thunder but could thunder quite alot not far away or overhead but nothing loud pretty delcate.

Same goes for thundery showers just the way I am. :D

I`ll have to take a look at these videos,trouble is I can`t get broadband :D

Posted
There is a Very Interesting Cloudbase over the London area right now - Lots of Little lowerings with an Ink Black Base. I have left my camera at home but if anyone in the area has one please be on the lookout for needle Funnels.

Paul S

Could you please explain what a needle funnel is please :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

latest met office

Woohoo another let down to look forward to...cant wait! :clap::clap:

Posted

Sorry if i sound daft but there isn't anything due tonight is there? Very mean and moody looking cloud moving over here. seen that it's moving from the N.W -> S.E

Posted
Could you please explain what a needle funnel is please :clap:

Hi Jo

You tend to find them in Non Thunderstorm Cumuli Clouds - Dark Bases that run the length of the Horizon with the Base having little Needles/Tendrils that go up and down from the Flat Base, these are pretty benign and probably only 1% would ever reach 3/4 of the way to the ground. They are great to watch and sometimes these Cumuli dont even have rain associated with them.

Have seen these a few times in the Uk

Paul S

Posted
Hi Jo

You tend to find them in Non Thunderstorm Cumuli Clouds - Dark Bases that run the length of the Horizon with the Base having little Needles/Tendrils that go up and down from the Flat Base, these are pretty benign and probably only 1% would ever reach 3/4 of the way to the ground. They are great to watch and sometimes these Cumuli dont even have rain associated with them.

Have seen these a few times in the Uk

Paul S

Thankyou Paul, I was just wondering because I saw something strange yesterday, or maybe not. It doesn't look that good in this pic off my mob, but I'll see if you can see anything. Thanks again

gallery_9557_631_118780.jpg

Posted

Quiet again today with a level one way out in the North Sea from ESTOFEX (watch out for waterspouts if you're on a ferry!) about as close as anything gets from them.

21st Operational Weather Squadron playing it safe by extending that area inland to the East coast

21OWS_EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_18.GIF

Perhaps prompted by the GFS CAPE charts for late afternoon?

Rmgfs156.gif

Rmgfs186.gif

But Nottingham 00Z Skew T doesn't show up any significant possibilities:

97952.gif

The high level aviation forecast does clip East Anglia and the corner of the NE coast, I think it's doubtful but will keep checking this afternoon.

post-6667-1247123950_thumb.jpg

ASII_20090709_0630.png