Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
Just had the best storm so far this year.

The lightning was literally overhead and the thunder was just incredible. Im fairly sure my local newspaper will mention this tomorrow commenting on someones house being struck.

The photos below are your typical thunderstorm. Once that line of cloud passed the action began. They might not look that impressive but in my experience its the dark grey clouds that produce the goods and not the black clouds!

post-1766-1246991586_thumb.jpgpost-1766-1246991609_thumb.jpg

My neighbour enjoyed the rain!

post-1766-1246991665_thumb.jpgpost-1766-1246991678_thumb.jpg

Beer, thunderstorm, heavy rain, Lucky so anso's. :lol:

A loud clap of thunder at dinner time in the yard at work, that was my ration :lol:

I can see good towering clouds from here, over on the mainland, have done so all day, all we have had is showers.

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
Are you happy now, Beka??? :D

No :lol: I was stuck inside the car and didn't hear any thunder :lol: LOLOL. Nah it was class. I like this storm chasing thing except the bloody trees in the way everywhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Well in brighton today and plenty of great thunder rumbles and downpours...think one is passing over now but no thunder yet. Strangely coming from the north west, rather than from the sea, or maybe circulating? Any thoughts? here is a couple of pics though of the sea and the cloud formations at anbut 7pm...I just couldnt resist. I have probably missed some great shots earlier this afternoon. ...work got in the way...

oooh as I try to upload..there goes a big old rumble...should I go down to the sea again?

post-2094-1246993160_thumb.jpg

post-2094-1246993360_thumb.jpg

post-2094-1246994100_thumb.jpg

post-2094-1246994276_thumb.jpg

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The storms which hit in London earlier - hehe note some of the whinging people "it only rained for 20 minutes...joke"...hehe!

Kind of backs up something I said a little while ago, about the UK people's ignorance to what storms are and what they can do :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8139435.stm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Sounds like you Easterners have been drenched. Dry and sunny here. :lol:

Posted

At last,more rain today than the last two months put together, i reckon, three separate storms in one day :) ,not real humdingers,but the rain was impressive,and they was overhead so im chuffed,i was working so only got a couple of pics on me phone :doh:

post-8172-1246996061_thumb.jpg

post-8172-1246996129_thumb.jpg

post-8172-1246996228_thumb.jpg

post-8172-1246996313_thumb.jpg

post-8172-1246996402_thumb.jpg

post-8172-1246996478_thumb.jpg

Posted

2 Funnel Cloud / Tornado Reports I have seen today.

1 from Winso from near Norwich and one by a Message left on my Voicemail from James (UkStormChaser) of a Tornado near Guildford today.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
At last,more rain today than the last two months put together, i reckon, three separate storms in one day :) ,not real humdingers,but the rain was impressive,and they was overhead so im chuffed,i was working so only got a couple of pics on me phone :doh:

The first of those looks like an H-bomb blast!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

1 from Winso from near Norwich and one by a Message left on my Voicemail from James (UkStormChaser) of a Tornado near Guildford today.

Paul S

Make that 3 Mr Sherman, post-4726-1246998747_thumb.jpg I took this from my spare bedroom/office window at 2045, after dashing upstairs with the wrong lens on the camera :) I had just changed it to photograph the towering clouds to my East :doh:

Russ.

Posted

:doh: 4 now Russ actually.

Dont know if Nick F saw this one but 2 Seperate Reports of another Funnel Cloud around the Kennington/Ashford Area ??

It did look primed today, the clouds even at 9am on my commute to work had that look about them.

1cm (10mm) Hail not to be sniffed at either in the Uk

Paul S

Posted
post-354-1246988720_thumb.jpg

Nice storm past through about 6pm, very deep rumbles to it. Just took this pic to the north of me so might be in for some more!

Superb image :doh:

Posted
:doh: 4 now Russ actually.

Dont know if Nick F saw this one but 2 Seperate Reports of another Funnel Cloud around the Kennington/Ashford Area ??

It did look primed today, the clouds even at 9am on my commute to work had that look about them.

1cm (10mm) Hail not to be sniffed at either in the Uk

Paul S

Could be 5, if the one both Isweln and I saw was in fact a funnel cloud! I did grab a photo but wont be able to share until tomorrow, and by the time I managed to grab the camera, it was concealed some what. It was a longish rope among a lot of scud - it dipped out of the cloud and floated almost parallel to the base.

Judging by the skies I saw today, I was expecting one to drop over C London early this afternoon! Can honestly say that in this country, even when I have seen tornadoes/funnel clouds, the sky never looked as threatening and as dynamic as it did today! What a day :)

This pic made me laugh a minute ago - poor ol' girls, lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_...9094/html/1.stm

Edited by Harry

Posted

saw a load of the people at the garden party walking down the mall as i went into work tonight, they looked pretty peed off :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Rainfall total at Guildford was 29.5 mm today. This actually fell in less than 12 hours. This is the highest total since 13th December 2008. Such an impressive total is unusual in this W.N.W.ly with embedded trough situation.

Incidentally, much of the decent thunder and heavy showers in the summer's of 1996 and 2001 came from repeated synoptics like those of today. Heat storms were disappointing in '96 and '01 but unstable cool weather brought the goods.

Posted

WOW what a day. I swear i drove around most of the south coast haha. Saw 2 tornadoes and plenty of funnel clouds and some amazing cloud motion. Pics + video will be up soon.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
Hi, yes several supurb CG forks here in the last half hour, and a one "building shaker" peel of thunder, and yet more very heavy rain, not on the scale of this morning though thankfully.

I say thankfully, because of the poor souls that have been devastated by the flooding here.

Just picked you post up reading through this thread today. My friend is a carer, and was driving to work along The Ridge around 6am this morning. She says she was 'terrified' - couldn't see the road, nearly hit a van that aqua-planed across wrong side of the road and man hole covers were popping up all along the road due to the drainage being completely overrun with rainwater. There was no power at work and a lightning bolt had come within fifty feet of striking the office buildings.

Hollington properties were under seven foot of water due to the stream getting blocked with branches and debris - the pictures on the local news were astonshing. Some poor people in the area really copped it!

The local intensity of the rainfall was staggering - for me further up the A21 there were some rumbles of thunder and a sharp shower or two - but it all really kicked off for St Leonards area at the coast big time! When I heard John Hammond on the late morning beeb weather forecast say that parts of Hastings had been flooded - I had no idea! Amazing how 5,10,15 miles can make so much difference!

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Paul S

I have more footage of storms today, where was the funnel cloud near Norwich?

Oh and I may as well add my first bit of footage to the mix which was taken on Monday whilst working. Explanation of the video is there too.. Ended with a pleasing gust front but unfortunately before I got the effects of it, my camcorder battery died! :lol: Nevermind you get the drift :rofl: Have some more footage from today mainly of a nice whole storm and moustache cloud which formed below the base haha. :rofl:

not the best quality but it took bleedin ages for me to upload a 67mb video let alone the original 1.4 gb version I had previous! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Paul S

I have more footage of storms today, where was the funnel cloud near Norwich?

Oh and I may as well add my first bit of footage to the mix which was taken on Monday whilst working. Explanation of the video is there too.. Ended with a pleasing gust front but unfortunately before I got the effects of it, my camcorder battery died! :lol: Nevermind you get the drift :rofl: Have some more footage from today mainly of a nice whole storm and moustache cloud which formed below the base haha. :rofl:

not the best quality but it took bleedin ages for me to upload a 67mb video let alone the original 1.4 gb version I had previous! :lol:

Quick edit just to say that the gust front looked much more menacing when seeing it for real than on the video but it wasn't your average cloud base thats for sure, I have seen plenty of those. In fact I really thought I was seeing a storm like the ones you see in the US.

A quick question, I know a supercell is a rotating storm but does it have to be of a certain intensity as well to classify it as a supercell?

Posted

A quieter day today with none of the majors showing a forecast or potential for storms, but then many of us had a whole months worth yesterday.

Great for those of us that got it, condolences for those that didn't and much more to come during this season I'm sure. :D

Posted

Hi all

Here are the pics I took of yesterdays various storms - apologies they aren't all that, but I tried :)

The first three pics are the first storms that moved in around mid afternoon - produced a lot of rotation, some great CGs too!

The 4th pic is the third storm of the day (2nd storm wasn't worth photographing) that rapidly developed over the office around 5ish - produced some huge booms of thunder and loads of flashes very close by - you can just seen the anvil to the top left, and also how defined the rainshaft/hailshaft was against the blue sky behind.

The 5th pic was the 4th and final storm of the day which rattled in not long after 5.30 (straight after the previous). This was a sneaky pic while stuck at the red light - it was hailing along with pouring with rain - I thought my windscreen was going to crack the noise it made, and you can just make out hailstones bouncing! :D

The 6th pic was from Blackheath as the storms was clearing away from SE London. This is when I thought I was seeing a ropey funnel cloud amongst the scud - was certainly connected to the base of the cloud and more defined than the other scud...make up your own minds! I have copied the pic and added arrows to show where the suspected funnel started at the base and ended up.

Overall, it was a really fun day :D

post-3790-1247041369_thumb.jpg

post-3790-1247041378_thumb.jpg

post-3790-1247041481_thumb.jpg

post-3790-1247041507_thumb.jpg

post-3790-1247041520_thumb.jpg

post-3790-1247041533_thumb.jpg

post-3790-1247042040_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry

Posted

Just seen the BBC graphics for the coming week - looks like an event of sorts occurring on Friday for the N Midlands and NE England in particular. Obviously as always, timing, location and intensity will vary between now and then, and at this stage not even sure WHAT it is (a lot of yellows and greens which for them means quite intense rain!!), but it looks as if it might be worth keeping an eye on!

HMM - GFS showing nothing on the storm risk, CAPE or Precip side of things! If anything GFS showing a continuing northern influence due to slowly retreating Low, while the BBC has intense precip for Friday with a more S/SE influence....

........I don't know...lol

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Nice one Harry! :D

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
Just picked you post up reading through this thread today. My friend is a carer, and was driving to work along The Ridge around 6am this morning. She says she was 'terrified' - couldn't see the road, nearly hit a van that aqua-planed across wrong side of the road and man hole covers were popping up all along the road due to the drainage being completely overrun with rainwater. There was no power at work and a lightning bolt had come within fifty feet of striking the office buildings.

Hollington properties were under seven foot of water due to the stream getting blocked with branches and debris - the pictures on the local news were astonshing. Some poor people in the area really copped it!

The local intensity of the rainfall was staggering - for me further up the A21 there were some rumbles of thunder and a sharp shower or two - but it all really kicked off for St Leonards area at the coast big time! When I heard John Hammond on the late morning beeb weather forecast say that parts of Hastings had been flooded - I had no idea! Amazing how 5,10,15 miles can make so much difference!

Hi There.

As you say, what was staggering was the localised nature of this rainfall, The White Rock weather station in town only recorded 5mm of rain in that time, where as the Hollington area and areas close to Alexandra park recorded anything up to 115mm.

The official reading was 91mm.

It is half a mile between the 5mm reading and the 115mm reading!

David Powell tells me that the grand 24hr total was 130mm for some areas in Hastings.

Totals towards Ore and Fairlight, were anything between 60mm in Ore and 70mm in my mothers rain gauge at Fairlight. Again for the period between 4am and 730am on July 7th.

Still noteworthy amounts, that caused road surfaces to be torn up and drainage covers to blow off.

The rain was truely tropical in nature, one drop was twice the size of an old style 50p piece!

It would be like someone turning a tap up and down throughout that period, between heavy and torrential every minute or so.