Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Nick F

Posted
post-354-1246988720_thumb.jpg

Nice storm past through about 6pm, very deep rumbles to it. Just took this pic to the north of me so might be in for some more!

Stunning photo!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
post-354-1246988720_thumb.jpg

Nice storm past through about 6pm, very deep rumbles to it. Just took this pic to the north of me so might be in for some more!

Now that's an anvil! :lol: :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in summer and proper cold in winter
Now that's an anvil! :lol: :lol:

Thats what I was thinking, I dont usually post pics but the wife wasn't really that impressed when i pointed it out so I had to share it with you guys!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Good gosh yes! Only just got back. It took 6 hours. The worst storm we hit was coming down from the M1 to M40. Very black, bolts coming everywhere, heavy rain and then ... huge flashes, pitch black, hailstones - peasized, we had to travel at 5mph couldn't see in front of us the rain was that torrential. Absolutely amazing!!! I'll download the pictures and stick them up in a minute.

Are you happy now, Beka??? :lol:

Posted
A couple of quick pictures while I wait for the video to upload.

That middle one looks like the end of the world has come LOL!

Posted
A couple of quick pictures while I wait for the video to upload.

We had a fairly decent (for homegrowns) storm this afternoon, was a lightning strike just down the road from my office: http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/content/eveni...3A16%3A27%3A650

Posted
We had a fairly decent (for homegrowns) storm this afternoon, was a lightning strike just down the road from my office: http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/content/eveni...3A16%3A27%3A650

You're about to get another one just to your North.

Posted

Thoughts for tomorrow...

Sunday's forecast said tomorrow would be dry almost everywhere.

Yesterday's forecast said scattered sharp showers in the E/SE areas.

Today's forecast shows more widespread showers in the E.Midlands, E and SE.

The trend has been for more & more showers to be forecast the nearer we get to tomorrow.

I'm going for thundery showers again in the E/SE tomorrow afternoon as the LOW pressure will still be close by and for sharp showers through the Midlands into CS England, with even some light showers through Wales into the West Country.

Posted
OK calling all Leicester-heads! :lol: You should be getting the storm that has swept west of me in Notts, the clouds are totally Kansas for this storm, and since my sheild split the storm as it went around Notts, I need to get my storm fix from anyone in its path! Can anyone tell me if its producing super amounts of thunder and lightning yet?? It passed Derby about 20min ago and is almost on top of Leicester now! Clouds are truly magnificent for this storm! :D

There are some piccies of this storm here.

post-1583-1246990209_thumb.jpg

post-1583-1246990239_thumb.jpg

post-1583-1246990288_thumb.jpg And after the storm behind it...

post-1583-1246990317_thumb.jpg

Here are some other random piccies too - didn't get many. Think the trees and bushes on the motor ways should be cut down so I can see!! :lol:

post-1583-1246990352_thumb.jpg

post-1583-1246990377_thumb.jpg

post-1583-1246990412_thumb.jpg

Afternoon all :)

Just had 3 massive storms, with frequent thunder and lightning and some very torrential rain!

I see another one coming my way!

Having had hardly any storms this year, i Think today has made up for it :)

At least someone in Hant's faired well in my absence! According to my sister Winchester has had rain but nowt else. So the storm shield still stands here then! lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

That was an absolute cracker of a thunderstorm earlier (excuse the pun).

Had the first thunderstorm develop overhead at the office, which produced some stonking flashes of lightning and explosions of thunder - quite a few making my heart take an extra beat, lol. Then the rain hit - which was cool in its own right! The thunder continued to bang from around 5 - 5:30. Then when I left the office, in what I discovered was a lull, there were further flashes and bangs.

Went into the newsagent (3 mins later), to a huge flash and bang of thunder. Then the hailstones started - for about 30 seconds, lol. Then all went quite for about a minute - before another rumble - and then a wall of torrential rain came flowing down the road, like headlights turning a corner in the fog!

That absolute deluge was the arrival of the second cell, which produce further incredibly torrential rain, with hail mixed in smacking off of my windscreen and roof. The thunder and lightning then continued for the next 20-30 mins.

Plodding across Blackheath in the traffic, gave me a terrific view of the line of storms rolling towards Kent - sporadic forks flashing within the cloud and to the ground. There were loads of scud clouds visible, one of which COULD well have been a ropey funnel! :)

Overall, 4 thunderstorms today - the second day of 4 storms this year! These were the days I remember growing up, and its GREAT to have them back - yay! :lol: :lol: :D

Edited by Harry

Posted

Just had the best storm so far this year.

The lightning was literally overhead and the thunder was just incredible. Im fairly sure my local newspaper will mention this tomorrow commenting on someones house being struck.

The photos below are your typical thunderstorm. Once that line of cloud passed the action began. They might not look that impressive but in my experience its the dark grey clouds that produce the goods and not the black clouds!

post-1766-1246991586_thumb.jpgpost-1766-1246991609_thumb.jpg

My neighbour enjoyed the rain!

post-1766-1246991665_thumb.jpgpost-1766-1246991678_thumb.jpg

Posted

yes Harry, i was rudely woken this afternoon by tremendous thunder and rain. SE London was flooded for a while. got off the train tonight at Charing cross having watched a storm pass over on the way in from woolwich. great show of lightning :lol:

Posted
There were loads of scud clouds visible, one of which COULD well have been a ropey funnel! :lol:

I saw that as well, I was watching it for about five minutes. I took a couple of pictures of it, but they don't really show what was happening.

Posted

Home in Eastbourne now after a cracking day at work in Mid- Sussex with three decent sized storms (not much work done though!)

It's now gone even darker here and I think I might be getting the fourth one today :lol:

Edit: Where were you Mr Sherman??????

Edited by Coast

Posted

As others have said, The London area did very well for Thunderstorms today, some Hail I saw was 1cm in Diameter today (Not bad for the Uk) Like Harry 4 seperate Storms with some very loud Thunder! Although if you thought that was good today Harry x that by about 100 for the US - You are in for a Treat Mate!

Now got my eyes on the Ex Peterborough Storm which is making its way towards Southend to see if I cna make it 5 in a Row today :lol:

Paul S

**Coast was at Work today in C London but was nowcasting to Paul on the phone in between the crashes of thunder** :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
As others have said, The London area did very well for Thunderstorms today, some Hail I saw was 1cm in Diameter today (Not bad for the Uk) Like Harry 4 seperate Storms with some very loud Thunder! Although if you thought that was good today Harry x that by about 100 for the US - You are in for a Treat Mate!

Now got my eyes on the Ex Peterborough Storm which is making its way towards Southend to see if I cna make it 5 in a Row today :lol:

Paul S

Hehe, I was thinking that while driving all the way home like an excited schoolboy - imagine next year! :)

Bring it on! :D

Glad to hear you had a great day Harry! :) So...any pics or vid?

I posted some pics earlier today of the earlier storms, but can't post again as they are on my work computer, grr!

Tried getting a few pics on the way home but couldn't either because a) the rain was so intense getting phone out would wreck it, lol, or :) I was driving!

Was really a great day...though looking on GFS, we should savour it as it could be the last storms for some time :lol:

Posted
**Coast was at Work today in C London but was nowcasting to Paul on the phone in between the crashes of thunder** :lol:

A likely story. See me after class and I'll give you 100 lines:

Why wasn't I giving helpful, up to the minute guidance to the storm-starved South on Netweather!!!

Why wasn't I giving helpful, up to the minute guidance to the storm-starved South on Netweather!!!

:lol:

Posted

Grrrrr

I tried my best to get today off - But I am off out in the next 10 minutes to see if that Storm heading str8 at me holds together so watch this space!! Mr Coast!!!!

LOL

Paul S

Edit: Latest radar has it dying off - So must be a Camera Thing :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

The thunderstorms today were the first of any significance in Guildford since 24th April 2008. Thunder was heard on 15th April so this is the first storm with rainfall in 2009.

A few light showers before 11 am were superseded by increasing convective cloud. There was a single quite loud clap of thunder at 11:19 am, which was met by cheers from workmen outside the room where I was having a meeting. A heavy shower followed at 11:25 am to 11:45 am. The cloud clearance led to an impressive Cb moving away towards London. There was further Cb’s upwind so the potential was there for more fun.

The next shower arrived at 12:20 pm and was short lived.

I took a bike ride up to Pewley Downs to photograph this convective cloud and was treated to the next shower arriving. The shower was moderate to heavy at 1:11 pm to 1:24 pm with an especially heavy burst in the last minute or so.

post-7417-1246992791_thumb.jpg

post-7417-1246992812_thumb.jpg

post-7417-1246992842_thumb.jpg

Having got soaked, even though sheltering, the 4.5 mile ride home in sunny periods allowed me to almost totally dry out. The strength of the sun bode well for what would arrive next.

There was a threatening sky approaching at 2:15 pm and the next shower arrived at 2:25 pm and lasted to 2:40 pm. The rain was heavier than the previous shower. There was a loud crack of thunder as the shower moved away at 2:41 pm then further activity to 3 pm. A single CC fork was seen to the East at 2:46 pm. There was quite an active cell to the S.W. with quite loud thunder at 3:16 pm to 3:34 pm.

The sky became threatening again at 4:30 pm and the heavy rain arrived at 4:38 pm when there was also a loud clap. The rain became torrential with a brief period of hail during this most intense period at 4:45 pm to 4:49 pm. The thunder ended at 5:02 pm but there was a further shower to 5:10 pm.

post-7417-1246992869_thumb.jpg

A day of impressive weather with the rainfall being close to 25 mm – I will post the result when I do the morning observation tomorrow.

Edited by Severe Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Glad to hear everyone's had a good day of storms.

Sadly I was not so lucky.

Just changed jobs at work and have gone form the 11th with views of the whole of london o a new office on the 2nd floor of the building, which has no windows. So depressing :lol:

Was on the tube between 5 and 5.40 so the only bit of that storm I got was the torrential down pour walking from bank to fenchurch street - had missed the whole thing.

Would be great if I could catch at least a bit of the storm heading for southend.

Jo x