Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Nick F

Posted

That storm passed directly over here. It started off with heavy hail before turning to rain. Quite a few claps of thunder but couldnt really see much due to low level cloud below it.

Quite a good temperature drop too, from 18.8C to 15.1C and a rise in humidity from 52% to 76%.

Posted

Reef wtf look at the cloud formation omg? the netw radars are wayyy wrong and off target, just heard a rumble from it then. look back accross the city :lol: u will see it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

As this is topical in a convective discussion, check out what a tornado does to this train :lol:

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videopla...om=hp_main_tab3

Now two observations - either that train is made of papier mache or those trees have pile driven and stainless steel roots - I don't understand how the trees seem to survive yet the train does not!!

Edited by Harry

Posted
Reef wtf look at the cloud formation omg? the netw radars are wayyy wrong and off target, just heard a rumble from it then. look back accross the city :lol: u will see it

Im not sure what you're talking about?!

Total precipitation was 5.1mm here from that. Pretty impressive.

Posted

been raining for a full 50minutes, been very heavy and now torrentioal for the last 10minutes !

Edit: Back to heavy

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
As this is topical in a convective discussion, check out what a tornado does to this train :lol:

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videopla...om=hp_main_tab3

Now two observations - either that train is made of papier mache or those trees have pile driven and stainless steel roots - I don't understand how the trees seem to survive yet the train does not!!

That's just what I was thinking, Harry! :D

Posted
Hmm, does seem strange though I'll attempt to answer. Since the train has a larger mass the wind has more of an area to impact on whereas the trees don't have a firm mass if you get what I mean. That's the reason why high rise lorries or semi's in the US are blown over during severe wind events whereas trees and smaller vehicles are left planted on the ground but are still damaged.

That's just my take on it. :winky:

Indeed, surface area to weight. Also the trees can absorb some of the energy through bending and movement and the aerodynamics of the trees are much better.

A great example of the just how localised severe weather can be!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Hi again - sorry I've not been about much. Out and about yesterday - chilly in the breeze yesterday afternoon in Norwich, then warmer and muggy in Wymondham with the sun. I have been seeing some active showers on the NW radar, but they have been passing either side of me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold
Hi again - sorry I've not been about much. Out and about yesterday - chilly in the breeze yesterday afternoon in Norwich, then warmer and muggy in Wymondham with the sun. I have been seeing some active showers on the NW radar, but they have been passing either side of me.

Was a bit unexpected to see heavy rain today but it certainly happened. Was working so didnt get much of a chance to have a nose about stuff. A burst of rain at about 13:30 and downpour at 15:40 in central Norwich and in fact some good convection and high cloud tops noted also, cloudscape was good considering. Was pretty grim all day.

Posted

Nothing electrical forecast for today and increasingly more nothingness over the weekend. Which must mean sun, beer and BBQ's!!!!

Posted
Nothing electrical forecast for today and increasingly more nothingness over the weekend. Which must mean sun, beer and BBQ's!!!!

Hehe, although have you seen Michael Fish's forecast :rolleyes:

Posted

I dont think the BBQs will be out much this weekend, I believe rain is set for most of us by Saturday evening and into Sunday.

Posted

I've got a gazebo! :)

Posted
These are the times I dread in Summer. Non eventful weather, no storms likely for a long time. So much waiting, I wonder how storm chasers in the Midwest of the America get by when there's a dormant period with no severe thunderstorms or Supercells forecast for a couple of weeks or so. Must be tough! :)

Yes, I find summer time very boring when there's no convective interest!

However, after an uninteresting weekend there should be plenty of interest next week - sunshine and showers weather!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
These are the times I dread in Summer. Non eventful weather, no storms likely for a long time. So much waiting, I wonder how storm chasers in the Midwest of the America get by when there's a dormant period with no severe thunderstorms or Supercells forecast for a couple of weeks or so. Must be tough! :)

At least they can pop down to tropical Florida! They probably happen there on an almost daily basis!

For us to do/see that we'd have to drive to DR Congo, lol

Edited by Harry

Posted

Been trying to rain here for about 30 mins, wish it woukd make its mind up lol. There's been a blanket of mid level cloud today, but the low level cloud has been bubbling up and saw a nice sort of navy cloud earlier. The mid level wall of cloud has been a milky colour, but the lower cloud grey (and navy) lol. I'm not very experienced with the types of clouds so can someone please explain how there was wall to wall mid level cloud, with lower clouds bubbling up?(No sun to be seen because of the mid level blanket, but rather warm) Thanks

Sorry if I sound a bit dippy :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
Been trying to rain here for about 30 mins, wish it woukd make its mind up lol. There's been a blanket of mid level cloud today, but the low level cloud has been bubbling up and saw a nice sort of navy cloud earlier. The mid level wall of cloud has been a milky colour, but the lower cloud grey (and navy) lol. I'm not very experienced with the types of clouds so can someone please explain how there was wall to wall mid level cloud, with lower clouds bubbling up?(No sun to be seen because of the mid level blanket, but rather warm) Thanks

Sorry if I sound a bit dippy :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think youre talking abour Cirro Stratus associated with that warm front coming in. Those clouds underneath that higher blanket of cloud is Cumulus with enough warmth from the ground at this time of year for those clouds to form in some slightly unstable air :)post-6830-1247247269_thumb.jpgpost-6830-1247247338_thumb.png :rolleyes:

Posted
These are the times I dread in Summer. Non eventful weather, no storms likely for a long time. So much waiting, I wonder how storm chasers in the Midwest of the America get by when there's a dormant period with no severe thunderstorms or Supercells forecast for a couple of weeks or so. Must be tough! :D

To be honest I don't mind cause it gives me sometime to do other things without a storm getting in the way or the disappointment of not being able to chase it cause I'm at work or with my gf and family or my family :) . Its a chance for my mind to rest knowing that I wont be missing out cause there isn't anything to miss out on anyway! I look forward to the next storm period when it happens but until then I go forth with my other million hobbies :D

Posted
To be honest I don't mind cause it gives me sometime to do other things without a storm getting in the way or the disappointment of not being able to chase it cause I'm at work or with my gf and family or my family :D . Its a chance for my mind to rest knowing that I wont be missing out cause there isn't anything to miss out on anyway! I look forward to the next storm period when it happens but until then I go forth with my other million hobbies :lol:

I agree with you both! :D Sitting on the fence I know, but as much as I love storms it is nice to have some time when you don't have to think about it, although only a very small bit of time! I'm sure it won't be long until this thread is full again and we are all looking forward to some good storms, July and August can often be the best months of the year. :)

Posted
I think youre talking abour Cirro Stratus associated with that warm front coming in. Those clouds underneath that higher blanket of cloud is Cumulus with enough warmth from the ground at this time of year for those clouds to form in some slightly unstable air :)post-6830-1247247269_thumb.jpgpost-6830-1247247338_thumb.png :D

Thanks for your help Anyweather :) Drizzling all morning here so far :)

Posted

Just had one very heavy downpour lasting 10 to 15 minutes.

Heaviest shower since June 10th,expect the unexpected.

Posted
Just had one very heavy downpour lasting 10 to 15 minutes.

Heaviest shower since June 10th,expect the unexpected.

Has to be better than this drizzle. I'm intrigued now, send it down lol

Posted

Jo I was thinking this rain tonight could produce something interesting,with some very heavy downpours with this warm muggy air,looking at the radar my shower only shows as green it was much much heavier with a torrent of water about. :lol: