Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun
Just a quick question - why are people shutting their computers off during the storms? Is it in case of a power cut which shuts it down incorrectly?

lighning strike could cause power serge which will blow your computer to bits.

Posted

Powerful storm to my West, still developing, powerful updrafts (now obscured) and nice glaciated anvil, that would explain the frequtn Cg's. The thunder is rather odd in that it comes in sudden canon like booms rather than rumbles. :yahoo:

Edited by jshaw

Posted
Just a quick question - why are people shutting their computers off during the storms? Is it in case of a power cut which shuts it down incorrectly?

If the storm is violent you should unplug it incase of power surges, the same goes for your modem / router incase lightning strikes the pole or something and travels down the wires.

Is another big black cloud approaching me now and I think I can hear distant thunder again.

Posted
Looks like the East/SE are seeing most of the thundery showers/storms..was to be expected. Looking back through the Radar loop it looks as if the Leicester region got a good storm or two judging by the sferics detected. Nothing here but a few sharp showers driven on by a NWesterly wind.

Yes they are,it`s actually been a nice dry day here apart from the odd light shower and a windy day from the NW.

But there is some nice cloud formation way up to the north/NE with a large CB parts developing so more fun and games as it heads SE.

One shower also developed just south a while ago.

Can`t see much to the east as theres so much other lower cloud about,but old CB`s by the looks.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

I thought it was because of the electrics. Especially shut it down if you have'nt got a surge protector. Just had a storm and the internet went out. A few years ago my modem had blown, so always good to be careful I spose.

Posted

thunder to my west, cg lighting to. will always unplug everything if storm is overhead, house was hit 2 years ago and blew tv, sky, dvd player and pc.

Edited by sparky1972

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms
Rumbles of thunder now being heard and it appears to be heading in this directions. Huzzah!

I concur, but then we arnt far from one another!

Posted

can someone do me a favour...when a proper storm is about 10 miles from Glos city center will you kindly pm me.

...If not I expect my first storm here next year :)

Storm free Glos

feel better now

sorry mods back on topic

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!
Powerful storm to my West, still developing, powerful updrafts (now obscured) and nice glaciated anvil, that would explain the frequtn Cg's. The thunder is rather odd in that it comes in sudden canon like booms rather than rumbles. :)

Ahh! The imfamous dynamite thunder! :) They scare me when they are really close! lol!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Charts show pretty much no potential from now on in the forseeable future. Very dissapointed as i thought we may get something today. Again, just a few miels East and onwards has bagged it again. :)

Posted
lighning strike could cause power serge which will blow your computer to bits.
If the storm is violent you should unplug it incase of power surges, the same goes for your modem / router incase lightning strikes the pole or something and travels down the wires.

Is another big black cloud approaching me now and I think I can hear distant thunder again.

I thought it was because of the electrics. Especially shut it down if you have'nt got a surge protector. Just had a storm and the internet went out. A few years ago my modem had blown, so always good to be careful I spose.

I have a surge protector so I'll take my chances I think! None of the storms today have really been very intense.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Torrential thunderstorm in Brighton lasting 30mins just easing now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
:) You deffo look like you're gonna get slammed! I hope it stays together for Notts!

Its dying out on the last radar :)

Posted

Yes you can mess Windows up a little bit, but mainly the chance of a close lightning strike which could cause a surge in electricity and you'd be waving goodbye to your computer and other devices connected to the mains. A PSU in a PC can take a certain amount of pain but if it blows it will usually take the motherboard with it (although some quality supplies have better internal safeguards)

A surge protector can protect you from certain spikes / noises / interference but NOT a lightning strike (either direct or close)...

Last year a friend of mine lost some electrical devices during a storm when lightning struck a few doors down...it blew a TV, router and video - all connected to mains and even with a surge protector!

Posted
Ahh! The imfamous dynamite thunder! :) They scare me when they are really close! lol!!

Yeah, every bolt so far has been a boom, and they are making me jump especially as from my South facing window I can't yet see the lightning, the storm is creeping up on me and making me jump. :)

Getting nearer now.

Cloud base with a wierd scud formation, not rotation but there are like vertical strips of scud hanging down in a line, very odd.

Edited by jshaw

Posted

A few years ago my computer literally just exploded due to a power surge. There not good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

temps dropping nicely and the humiditys up as well! Very black to my west/north west some lighnning and rumbles continuing 18.8c 74% hum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
To avoid disappointment take note of the wind direction and regions with the highest CAPE values along with any CZs. The wind is from the NW so the showers which the Midlands got today are moving SE and will mature as they get to the SE which is the reason why E Midlands, W EA, SE and parts of the S coast are seeing some active T'storms.

Was never really going to see anything interesting today apart from a few sharp showers.

Yep, usual, then. :)

I dont think we will have anything now for at least 2 weeks. Its looking being a pretty rubbish july now unless things change after mid month. :)

P.S im not Eugene. :)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Been pummelled by two storms in the last hour, heading straight for C London. Nice CG lightning and heavy rain!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
Thunder heard to my West.

That's the cell I was excited about earlier. It built over West Norfolk, and I thought it would hit us overhead. It weakened, and I saw it was going to skim to the SW of us, but it has re-awakened and is rumbling away quite impressively as I speak.

EDIT: Now raining.

Edited by w0033944