Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convection Discussion

Ross B

Posted

Just had a blustery shower sweep through here, with a couple of rumbles of thunder too. :)

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

I wasn't expecting all these anvils today! , black in some areas :):)

Posted

One huuuge Crack of Thunder about 30mins ago, surprised no-one from C London has posted about it ?? Or cant be bothered :whistling: LOL

Following this about 2 minutes of Convective rain - The type that is like someone turning on a tap at full blast and then turning it off str8 away.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

lovely anvil to my south

I see that Anvil dogs, It's a beauty.I am at my daughters at the moment in Cheltenham where there is loads of convection.Fingers crossed :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Anyone from the Norwich area? I'm up in Tyneside at the moment where it's a fairly standard sort of showery day but the sferics are really kicking off around Norwich.

Edit- oops just saw above post!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Yeah, some nice looking convection about with heavy showers & squally winds-

but I haven't heard any thunder! :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like any decnet showers are missing the South Midlands today-meanwhile further South and North has them. :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Had some fairly intense showers of Hail this morning at about 6AM, nothing thundery though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yummy-large very heavy showers now moving more south easterly out of North Wales right now.May have a chance now.:whistling:

Posted

I see that Anvil dogs, It's a beauty.I am at my daughters at the moment in Cheltenham where there is loads of convection.Fingers crossed :)

lots of strikes off Norfolk in the Mediterranean sea.

Hopefully Jane there is another batch comming down from the North for us later.

But I wouldn't hold your breathe. :whistling:

got the snow to look forward to now :)

Edited by dogs32

Posted

I think there is a fair chance some of that stuff in Wales could turn thundery. Lots of heavy rain in there now. :whistling:

Posted

Nice organised line of showers to my North, can see one of them visually with the wind gusting to around 35mph on the edge of it. I'm expecting these to transfer slightly southward so wouldn't be surprised if B'ham gets a few of these heavy and gusty showers late afternoon into the evening.

Its now quite an organised line of heavy to very heavy rain.:whistling: Shame its not thundery but sat24 shows high cloud tops in places.

Odd crackle on the AM Radio-seems to be a recent new sferic or two over North Wales according to ATD.

Posted

I'm expecting an impressive shower to come by here in the next hour, there are some pretty dark cloud bases edging further South. Judging by Radar it would confirm there are showers heading in my direction. Surprised there are no sferics but if not that, then hopefully some hail and squally wind gusts.

Rumble of thunder!!Oh yes!! :whistling:

Lucky!

Getting Darker-Am crackles on the increase slighlty-few spots of rain...:)

Posted

I'm expecting an impressive shower to come by here in the next hour, there are some pretty dark cloud bases edging further South. Judging by Radar it would confirm there are showers heading in my direction. Surprised there are no sferics but if not that, then hopefully some hail and squally wind gusts.

Rumble of thunder!!Oh yes!! :)

Beautiful roll cloud coming in now! Please let this be the one!!

You sure it's not just Thundery rain ? :whistling: Hope it's a good one.

Posted

Hard to tell from the wind and any faint rumbles.

Im a bit further south than you lot already reporting thunder in Birmingham so i may have to wait a bit longer. :whistling:

Posted

Well it turned out to be a very gusty heavy shower with one rumble of thunder as it approached. Not bad, the strength of the wind in these showers makes up for lack of lightning. :D As you can see on Radar, the most intense echoe to my north has transfered slightly south and I'm currently on the edge of it - raindrops are quite large but the rainfall itself isn't torrential.

It is very gusty and the clouds are moving very very fast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Skies going dark here at the moment - seen some fairly nice Cb's this afternoon, though this looks like being the only one to actually hit.

This one in particular looks fairly pokey on radar, with seemingly one or two sferics from it.

Further to MW's earlier past about there only being 17mm in Kent - I can certainly vouch for that. Been overall a very warm, sometimes hot month, with lots of sunshine too! Sadly though, no lightning seen or thunder heard, by me anyway! A very pleasant summer month overall, but MEGA-NAFF in terms of convective weather...:D

Posted

The rain seems much lighter compared to what the radar suggests? :D

One loud crackle on the radio then-close sferic perhaps?

Posted

Woah! loud crack of thunder as it moves further South, wouldn't be surprised if it turned into a fairly decent sized storm. I'm on the edge of it now and can see how far the anvil towers up and to me, it's looks pretty high so there should be a few more lightning strikes to come out of this.

Can see one very big tower out the back. No thunder here though. :D

Posted

Blimey! that was fun, torrential rain and wind like you couldn't imagine!

Next door's lost 2 fence panels and there are leaves everywhere!

Batten down the hatches if it's coming your way :D

Posted

ATD Shows some sferics right above here or very close and the AM radio had some loud crackles-perhaps there was some sort of lightning about...