Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convection Discussion

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

a few sferics popping up on sat24, just off the cornish coast in that heavy pulse of rain heading NEwards...I must admit, the skies to my west and SW are looking rather threatening, thick altocumulus with some scud/fractocumulus

I agree. I do doubt if we will see anything but conditions with this warm air we have with the cold front could keep things going well. :D

Posted

Had a nice heavy shower earlier this afternoon(same one as PP reported), it certainly was a convective shower and not from the main front so that was a little surprising. Since then any rainfall i think has been from that CF.

Speaking of the cold front, it does lively although i can bet it will weaken as soon as reaches here but we shall see. I still suspect that the front will weaken for all parts in the next few hours so some may be setting themselves up for disapointment.

Posted

I haven't posted on here for ages, it has been such a disappointing storm season. To be honest it makes me look again at the term storm season because really, most parts of the UK get so few storms that the whole year is storm season really.

Glad to see some good potential for tomorrow for this area, I would imagine there will be plenty of small storms about.

I am not expecting much down here for tonight, any red echoes in the south will disappear fairly soon I would imagine, some good storms in the north though.

Posted

Had a nice heavy shower earlier this afternoon(same one as PP reported), it certainly was a convective shower and not from the main front so that was a little surprising. Since then any rainfall i think has been from that CF.

Speaking of the cold front, it does lively although i can bet it will weaken as soon as reaches here but we shall see. I still suspect that the front will weaken for all parts in the next few hours so some may be setting themselves up for disapointment.

It has turned very dark here,its going to hammer it down any minute,wouldn't be suprised at all if we had thunder.

WOW! torrential rain,very impressive!

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Another rather depressing evening for me here (shouldnt be though, lol) - currently 24C, blue skies, humid, not a cloud in the sky!

All this talk of Ac and Scud and Fractus is making go a bit green, lol!

Posted

Yeah, wouldn't use the term 'storm season' when referring to a period of thunderstorm activity as there really is no defined period in this country. Sure you'll have a much higher chance of thunderstorms in the Summer but that's to be expected with the increasing heat. There have been a few days this month when the potential for storms has been there but just hasn't pulled off, tomorrow will be another chance at getting a storm.

Indeed, although I think there is a storm season for the midlands, east anglia and the south east. Statistically they all have a fairly defined period of increased thundery activity. It sort of disappears in poor years though.

It's a fairly pointless distinction anyway because we arn't a thundery country at all and we don't really get proper thunderstorms unfortunately.

Still, hopefully tomorrow will produce something.

Still some good storms around the Uk at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Tomorrow is looking good especially for the western side of the UK.:D

Storms will be hit and miss but i would of thought there will be a good scattering of them. Storm conditions look quite good again.:D

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

As per normal trying to go round us. Hopefully something will happen.

Posted

Thunderstorm overhead here. Heavy rain, and a couple of bright fork's.

I thought i could hear distant rumbles of thunder, nice to see your storm Shield breeched. :D

Heres comes the heavy torrentail rain.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Just started thundering here right on the coast too, looks to be a very wet evening ahead.

Posted

Feels quite humid here, having some v.heavy rain and clouds have become extremely dark but CAPE is a big fat 0 and LI is about 3.5 so I think im out of it tonight.

Hopefully tomorrow something might happen, and Thursday.

Posted

im sure i could see cb towers right in the distance to my sw driving back just now - must admit it is the sort of sky we get when a plumes destabilising - i wonder if we'll see any sort of convergence creating a shower train from weymouth or somewhere near that when the front pushes in more -

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Jane and Pat, TiddlyPip for us in this area ,by the look and help of the models. The NWXtra radar shows the heaviest of the precip moving nne from sw England West Wales and up into Northern England and by the time the cold front moves over our patch theres not a lot left...Im fed up just as much as you! :D:D

post-6830-1251743934303_thumb.png

post-6830-12517439668269_thumb.png

post-6830-12517440094393_thumb.png

post-6830-12517440289451_thumb.png

Posted

A couple of mins of squally rain and one more noticetable rumble of thunder but it seemed to calm down a bit now, i hope that is not the end of it.

Thunder and lightning to my east - i think that the 'storm' PP had.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

Jane and Pat, TiddlyPip for us in this area ,by the look and help of the models. The NWXtra radar shows the heaviest of the precip moving nne from sw England West Wales and up into Northern England and by the time the cold front moves over our patch theres not a lot left...Im fed up just as much as you! :D:D

lol...yes I know Ian...but tomorrow looks good and Wednesday...just got some info about tomorrow from another source and we are looking like a good chance for tomorrow

i like the X and The circle Ian...very good...

could be our last chance this week to break the Stormless year

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Bloody damn good storm this one jeez its bad....good.!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Indeed, although I think there is a storm season for the midlands, east anglia and the south east. Statistically they all have a fairly defined period of increased thundery activity. It sort of disappears in poor years though.

It's a fairly pointless distinction anyway because we arn't a thundery country at all and we don't really get proper thunderstorms unfortunately.

Still, hopefully tomorrow will produce something.

Still some good storms around the Uk at the moment.

I agree, I wouldn't say there is a 'storm season' in the UK.

Over the last 10 years or so, I have noticed that end of May/early June, and late July/early August tend to be quite active for the SE in terms of 'tasty' thunderstorms.

Anyone else noticed a similar pattern?

Posted

Some scary CG strikes over here. Fortunately, none of them are near my street.

Some torrential and gusty downpours are slowly dying down now. Still, a lot of nasty stuff further south-west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Jane and Pat, TiddlyPip for us in this area ,by the look and help of the models. The NWXtra radar shows the heaviest of the precip moving nne from sw England West Wales and up into Northern England and by the time the cold front moves over our patch theres not a lot left...Im fed up just as much as you! wallbash.gifwhistling.gif

Awwwsad.gif

Thanks for letting us know ANYWEATHERsmile.gif

Cheer up thoughsmile.gif We all may be in luck tommorow.biggrin.gif

Posted

Is looking good from my bedroom window, shows how localised it is though because its not even raining here. Lightning is fairly frequent so enjoy it NL. :rolleyes:

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

two flashes of lightening with thunder here, torrential rain but seems to have calmed now a bit,

ooo fork of lightening as i type haha niceee,

rather unexpected this to be honest, after freezing standing waiting to do the great north bike ride at seahouses yesterday morning :rolleyes: