Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convection Discussion

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Rain is becoming heavier here, may see a t-storm if lucky

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Havent had a storm like that for awhile best one so far this year frequent IC's and a good few Cg's too, fantastic pink and purple flashes can still see the lightning over the sea as i type... nice end to august...:rolleyes:.....

Posted

no thunder or lightning here in Blackpool but very very heavy rain around 5.30, havent seen anything like it as far as i can remember, hopefully those red echoes around west Wales will head up this way and not lose intensity!

Posted

Just seen a flash of lightning and distant thunder towards my west looking towards carmarthenshire, looks like they are getting torrential rain, nothing here though

Posted

Rain is becoming heavier here, may see a t-storm if lucky

Not looking bad for the Swansea area. A few sferics showing up now.

If I thought it was going to really develop I would head out for a look but I dont think its going to come to much.

Edited by jamo_s

Posted

Not looking bad for the Swansea area. A few sferics showing up now.

Already seen a flash, carmarthenshire way, its staying away from Swansea though, main intense rain is pushing away

Posted

Yes - can confirm v. heavy rain here in Carmarthenshire, no thunder as yet though.

Where abouts are you in carmarthenshire? Another user in reports thread, can report thunder, i have seen a flash but thats about it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Havent had a storm like that for awhile best one so far this year frequent IC's and a good few Cg's too, fantastic pink and purple flashes can still see the lightning over the sea as i type... nice end to august...:rolleyes:.....

That's much better than here, only had the heavy downpour and a couple of quiet rumbles.

Still better than nohing.

A slightly more interesting end to a boring month :)

Posted

Just a couple of rumbles here, the torrential rain has now eased, no storm here tonight then doh.gif unless another pulse heads across, its hard to believe its only just after 8-30 its so dark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Looking really good for the whole of the UK tomorrow according to UKASF , but as always it's going to be hit or miss. but at least the potential is there and we can always hope lol!biggrin.gif

(Map on site)

http://ukasf.co.uk/module-Storm/mode-forecast/id-257/

Storm Forecast Issued: 2009-08-31 22:28:00

Valid: 2009-09-01 00:00:00 - 2009-09-01 23:59:00

Regions Affected

All of the United Kingdom

Synopsis

A complex area of LOW pressure to the north of Scotland, and the Azores HIGH to the south/southwest of the United Kingdom, will dominate the weather for Tuesday. A strong southwesterly-turn-northwesterly flow develops across the UK. Numerous showers and thunderstorms are expected to develop as a result of troughs and convergence zones embedded within the strong anticlockwise flow. During the morning the showers will be most frequent and persistent across western areas, but during the afternoon the showers should become increasingly widespread, especially so for England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Small hail seems possible in many of the showers given the cold Polar Maritime airmass. There is enhanced risk of a tornado or waterspout developing in some of the showers. The showers/storms will ease away eastwards, clearing into the North Sea by the end of the forecast period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Absolutley belting down here, no thunder as yet though.

Yeah, it's just eased here Mark. It was incredibly heavy; we had the lights flicker a few times here, but I didn't hear any thunder or see any atmospheric electrical arcing (or, if you will, lightning :rolleyes: ). Looks like it's dying off fairly quickly as it progresses North and Eastwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Jane you know everywhere but Gloucestershire will have storms. Only joking-good luck AGAIN! :lol:

Posted

Looking really good for the whole of the UK tomorrow according to UKASF , but as always it's going to be hit or miss. but at least the potential is there and we can always hope lol!biggrin.gif

Good luck Jane, surely tomorrow has to be your day, i'm surprised you havant saw any storms considering your location, have you not had any distance storms but did not count them as they are too far out?

Tonight was a good example of seeing and hearing thunder and lightning but as it was 8-12 miles out to my east, it was pointless counting it as it was never overhead which was a bit frustrating. :lol:

Posted

Thank you all LOLlaugh.gif Tomorrow has to be the day!

Geordie, I heard one rumble of thunder back in the Spring it awas miles away, It could of been a jet though as we always have jets flying over us. Pretty cool too when the jets fly down really low,The noise is amazing sounds a bit like thunder really Lol.biggrin.gif

Posted

Thank you all LOLlaugh.gif Tomorrow has to be the day!

Geordie, I heard one rumble of thunder back in the Spring it awas miles away, It could of been a jet though as we always have jets flying over us. Pretty cool too when the jets fly down really low,The noise is amazing sounds a bit like thunder really Lol.biggrin.gif

the US Air Force (Fairford) use the flight path over your way Jane..

sometimes you can a catch a B52,,,we used to listen to them taking off and heading for Iraq late at night on a bombing mission..

a bit of Glos info for you..lol

yes we have all been here yet again...

For some crazy reason I have more faith in tomorrow than most other times this year for here...

Early start I reckon with shower'a firing up towards Devon early morning..

Posted

Thanks for that info dogs, I always wondered if it was Fairford. I 've always thought that when storms have been forecast that when the Jets fly over it means we we wont get a storm as I don't think they are allowed to fly in a stormcc_confused.gif or are they.(If that makes sense lol)

Just waiting for Estofex to update now.lazy.gif lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Summer in Cleadon has gone out, quite literally, with a bang! I have to admit I got the weather completely wrong for today, I just assumed that this cold front would be the standard drizzly stuff. However, I soon sensed something was up when the convective cells went up at around 2-3pm and a short but intense shower passed over.

The front at around 6-8pm strongly resembled those "Spanish plume" storm systems that move up the western side through Lancashire and turn right towards Tyne & Wear (e.g. 2 June 2002, 10 August 2003, 19 June 2005, 31 August 2005). Thunderstorm struck for about 35 minutes between 7:15 and 7:50pm and gave moderate rain and plenty of thunder and lightning initially, followed by a remarkable cloudburst.

During my Lancaster (2003-2005) days I had no luck at all with storms/snow events when moving around the country, but over the last couple of years the reverse appears to have been true with storms seemingly following me around. May as well make the most of it while it lasts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Well I really thought it was game over for storms this year.

But today has the opportunity to deliver. Finger crossed.