Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convection Discussion

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Although it looks to be going mostly in a NNE direction, it will be moving more generally east in the day too.

Posted

slightly lost its wide spread intensity....Like you say Blizzard we might get a deluge here as it is slowly shunting Eastwards

i think you are too far east really. anywhere east of wales is looking at little or no rainfall, and anywhere south of manchester :mellow:

Edited by azores92

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

A line of heavy and potential storms heading to this years favoured spot, with temps up to 23.6°C and Dp's @17.6°C (and few other factors) ive calculated that surface Li is around -4...!! upper temps around 500mb could hinder developments but with LL shear and winds coming down from the Pennines we

could see some very interesting weather around these parts. Dark clouds are now visible coming from the S/SW.

NW 5min radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Very warm and muggy here today. Not very nice. Here shant be getting any rain tonight or very little-could do with some rain here now-been a while since the last good dumping of rain. :mellow:

Posted

just seen Castellanus clouds but Im not sure they are called that exactly..

The clouds that look like Squid's any ideas I know its a good sign for a possible storm's in the not to distant future..

cant find the correct name for these cloud's but are associated with storm's sometime's

its not Altocumulus Castellanus

look like rows of minature Anvil's without the base's

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

The clouds that look like Squid's any ideas I know its a good sign for a possible storm's in the not to distant future..

cant find the correct name for these cloud's but are associated with storm's sometime's

I've just seen them too. smile.gif I don't know what to think anymoresad.gif They could be an indication of a storm on the way! But as you know dogs, us here in Glos only breed the storms for other placessad.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Quite suprised that very few people are mentioning the current situation, somethings going on this evening as the CF pushes in. Showers popped up pretty fast around Blackpool and have gone electrified. Shows up well Here

Showers are also rapidly developing now further south on the front, off the coast of Cornwall and Wales. Altho CAPE etc is higher around Blackpool I wouldnt be totally surprised if we get something here in Gloucestershire!

Edit: Just started raining from high based Cu, also had some pretty awesome Altocumulus and cirrocumulus earlier :rofl:

Edited by Joey.G

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Re: Coast on who has faired bad this year for storms and who hasn't, I wouldn't say Harry has had a 'very poor' time of it this year with regard to storms. I'm sure he can speak for himself but if his account of the storms he has witnessed are anything to go by, he has had a good year for storms. Certainly, Jane Louise has probably had one of the worst years for storms I know of from any other member on here.

All I can say though is it has been non-eventful this year for thunderstorms in Birmingham, though there is still September to go but if that doesn't bring any storms then I still have deep atlantic lows and snow to look forward too! :rofl:

Teehee - I thought that too :rofl:

To be fair Coast, I have not a had a very poor year, or even poor year to be fair. I think from my perspective it has been what I consider an average year - certainly better than 2007 and 2008, but I've had more exciting seasons.

Lets not forget, September can provide some very lively storms, so not all over yet for the year :rofl:

Posted

Joey and Jane...

Its not often I have seen these combination of cloud's Most but not all

the time we often get a serious storm with these combination's of Castellanus,

Altocumulus Castellanus,Altocumulus and cirrocumulus

and the Squid cloud's...sometimes up to 4 hrs before a great storm....

who know's something maybe hatching :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I've just seen them too. smile.gif I don't know what to think anymoresad.gif They could be an indication of a storm on the way! But as you know dogs, us here in Glos only breed the storms for other placessad.gif

Is this what you're seeing guys?...if so its Altocumulus Floccus Virga

Images courtesy of www.weather-photos.net & www.capetownskies.com

post-4149-12517407165907_thumb.jpg

post-4149-12517407500897_thumb.jpg

Posted

Quite suprised that very few people are mentioning the current situation, somethings going on this evening as the CF pushes in. Showers popped up pretty fast around Blackpool and have gone electrified. Shows up well Here

Showers are also rapidly developing now further south on the front, off the coast of Cornwall and Wales. Altho CAPE etc is higher around Blackpool I wouldnt be totally surprised if we get something here in Gloucestershire!

Edit: Just started raining from high based Cu, also had some pretty awesome Altocumulus and cirrocumulus earlier smile.gif

I do hope so Joeybiggrin.gif

I'm going to be glued to the Netweather radar tonight... fingers crossed smile.gif My last and only chance unless we get Autumn storms lol

Posted

good man....reputation point for being very helpfull..thx mate thats the squids..

saw rows of them...now shrouded by Altocumulus and cirrocumulus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Some seriously heavy rain through mid-wales heading ENE right towards me, a few sferics mixed in, could be a very interesting evening!

Posted

Yes,it was those thanks for posting the pics. I also have added reputation point

Could we be in lucksmile.gif Time will tell us tonightsmile.gif

Posted

This evening is starting to turn more interesting than expected. Storms in places and very heavy rain for some too. :D

Waiting game for those in the West.

Posted

Joey and Jane...

Its not often I have seen these combination of cloud's Most but not all

the time we often get a serious storm with these combination's of Castellanus,

Altocumulus Castellanus,Altocumulus and cirrocumulus

and the Squid cloud's...sometimes up to 4 hrs before a great storm....

who know's something maybe hatching laugh.gif

I am going to tread very carefully though,just in case we get let down again. But it does sound rather optimisticbiggrin.gif

Posted

Im watching the stuff in the SW because if anything will get here it is likely to be from here. :D

Posted

yes wasnt going to bother tonight with Independance day and Final Destination on :D

But thing's are worth watching now..

so one eye on the radar and the other on the Alien's :D

edit... heavy blobs of rain here

Blizzard's that's nasty area down S/W..for us later

Edited by dogs32

Posted

a few sferics popping up on sat24, just off the cornish coast in that heavy pulse of rain heading NEwards...I must admit, the skies to my west and SW are looking rather threatening, thick altocumulus with some scud/fractocumulus