Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convection Discussion

Ross B

Posted

just had a major shower here, the roads are like rivers, proper streams flowing beside them. wouldnt be surprised if we had between 5 and 10mm during that torrential shower. just watching another proper storm just miss me to my east, looked very ominous 5 minutes ago though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well the shower we had was total garbage but the cloud structures are amazing! Will upload pictures later.:D

Posted

its fizzling as it get's toward's me...

I was so looking forward to thundery shower's

8 month's to storm heaven :D

and

booked a flight to Spain...Storm's here I come :D

CapeCapeCapeCapeCape

I will take some pic's for Arron

La viva La Spania OLE

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just looked on Met Office and see that in the last few hours a small trough was what caused those showers to organise into a nice line. You can see the two troughs on SAT loop (one South of B'ham and the other near Blackpool) - the cloud tops on some of those showers don't actually look that impressive on SAT even though they seemed high visually. So that'll explain the lack of sferics here.

The CB i have in view now around North Worcestershire has brilliant features on it. So many good photos from it. :D

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Looks like West/Southern wales about to be hit by a nasty shower

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Fast moving deluge passed through here 4.40 -- 5.00pm. Moving approx W-E, so it went off towards Yorkshire. Several cracks of thunder and a near flash of lightning. No hail noticed. Still lots of huge curly tops upwind. Temp drop in rain to 11.9C. Earlier in afternoon quite warm, max 15.2C.

Posted

Looks like another shower may reach here from North Wales a bit later. :D

Posted

Very thundery looking sky, its about to chuck it down, very windy, amazing!

Posted

Looking at the radar now and some v. heavy rain is headed my way, with some sferics showing up.

How annoying I've booked the cinema for 18:30, hope it doesnt develop or i will have to miss the cinema.

Edited by jamo_s

Posted

Just had a good thunderstorm, plenty of lightning and thunder along with a very squally downpour with hail

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A friend of mine has reported thunder and lightning with very heavy rain in Bristol at the moment. I can see the cloud with very dark base and am hoping that the back building will track further south a bit to me.

Posted

Dark as night to my NW, with a band of heavy rain getting closer.

Heavy rain here now.

Edited by sufc

Posted

A few photos from earlier: :)

post-6797-1251481712261_thumb.jpgpost-6797-1251481750182_thumb.jpgpost-6797-1251481762427_thumb.jpgpost-6797-12514817863842_thumb.jpg

post-6797-12514818759463_thumb.jpg

A couple of the same pictures above but edited pictures to make them more menacing looking.:)

post-6797-12514819387296_thumb.jpgpost-6797-1251481982071_thumb.jpg

Hope you like them. :D

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Just had 2 storms here one above and one to are south which developed very qucikly. And remembering seeing fork lightening just a few yards away from the house and made the house shake it was fun.

Posted

Some mammatus over to my north

Very nice. :)

Posted

Very nice and defined Mammatus clouds there..like the way the sun lights up the underside! Great pic! :)

Lucky shot, just glanced out of my back window and there it was had to run and get the camera:)

Posted

Goood evening ladies and gents...

Weak storm with a gust front and whales mouth feature shoving through here, actually maybe so wea as the winds are mental and the rain is tropical!!! :)

Am getting slammed here by one hack of a gust front, the structure isn't that spectacular but the conditions are!

Very little in the way of thunder, the main core is passing off to my NE.

Edited by jshaw

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Pouring down here , but i can see the main storm to the north west as the sun goes down. Will take a looksie in a mo

Posted

That thunderstorm over Bristol this evening was a cracker! Two very loud cracks of thunder overhead and some cloud-to-cloud forked lightning. Several more quieter rumbles of thunder were noticed before and after this.

We had a very heavy shower this morning but no thunder and lightning which cleared about 10:50 am-ish but after that it was mainly sunny with fair-weather cumulus. Nice enough to go out for a jog between 3:00pm and 4:30pm.

Therefore we had about 7 hours of mainly fine weather. So this big storm came as a surprise in the evening.

To see this storm develop open Netweather Extra Radar and key-in BS9 as the postcode. Running the slides in smoothed rather than pixellated mode between 1735 and 1810 and you can see how quickly that storm exploded into life

presumably after crossing the Brecon Beacons. Upon closer inspection I think the waters of the Severn Estuary played a big part in developing this storm, pumping extra moisture into the shower.

This was the situation around 6:15pm over BS9. You may just make out the intensity directly overhead was in the

region of 90-120mm/hour:

post-3528-1251489280919_thumb.png

Edited by Thundersquall