Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convection Discussion

Ross B

Posted

Lightning off to the East here after a couple of very heavy downpours. Even seen a couple of CGs in it too - no thunder however ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

For what was considered again an almost strictly Midlands/Northern event - again, I wasn't disappointed!!! :(

From about 6pm onwards, CBs began erupting - nothing severe looking, just loads of relatively small CB's in most directions! One however, towards W/NW London at this point, was huge - covered a fair portion of that part of the sky, very robust anvil, and that ominous grey tinge (which you dont often get from a distant Cb).

As I was driving down to the sunny Medway, the Cbs had grown quite a bit, with odd flashes of lightning (unfortunately, I was facing E en route with the storms to my North and West of me).

My rear view mirror however offered one of the most spectacular and memorable images I'll probably ever have weather wise (until next year hopefully). There was a line of very dark looking Cbs with very dense, defined rainshafts! HOWEVER, in a gap between the rainshafts was the setting, brilliant orange sun! The gap between the rainshafts fit the sun perfectly, such a snug fit! The effect of this however, was JUST like that created of Mordor in Lord of the Rings - black ominous sky, with the firey eye of Saoron beaming up through the middle! Because the sun had half set, half sticking out, created the golden eye of Saoron amongst the mountains - it was truly and amazing sight and one of which I WISH i had my camera - STUNNING!!

As I got into sunny Medway, one of the storms came over. Again, as I was driving I didnt get much viewing pleasure, but there was one particularly very bright flash of lightning - the sky was very threatening too!! Then, it was in to the chinese and listening all to briefly the heavy rain!

All in all, not exactly a pinnacle of storm activity, but some truly beautiful sights!!! Was literally, AWESOME!!! :)

Posted

Thanks for sharing your story of the day, Harry and others.

Only right for me to mention Friday 28th August 2009 with you all.

Well, nice start to the day, convection began. Then around 1:30pm...

IMG_4825.jpg

Yeah! But it missed by a country mile. Boooooooooo!! wallbash.gif

IMG_4834.jpg

Rain, and one deeeeeeep rumble of thunder, Cb anvil visible underneath cirrus canopy.

IMG_4842.jpg

Strange, but turbulent sky as what looked like an MCS passes by.

IMG_4844.jpg

And this was the pinnacle. Overhead mammatus.

Enjoy.

Phil.

Posted

For what was considered again an almost strictly Midlands/Northern event - again, I wasn't disappointed!!! :)

From about 6pm onwards, CBs began erupting - nothing severe looking, just loads of relatively small CB's in most directions! One however, towards W/NW London at this point, was huge - covered a fair portion of that part of the sky, very robust anvil, and that ominous grey tinge (which you dont often get from a distant Cb).

As I was driving down to the sunny Medway, the Cbs had grown quite a bit, with odd flashes of lightning (unfortunately, I was facing E en route with the storms to my North and West of me).

My rear view mirror however offered one of the most spectacular and memorable images I'll probably ever have weather wise (until next year hopefully). There was a line of very dark looking Cbs with very dense, defined rainshafts! HOWEVER, in a gap between the rainshafts was the setting, brilliant orange sun! The gap between the rainshafts fit the sun perfectly, such a snug fit! The effect of this however, was JUST like that created of Mordor in Lord of the Rings - black ominous sky, with the firey eye of Saoron beaming up through the middle! Because the sun had half set, half sticking out, created the golden eye of Saoron amongst the mountains - it was truly and amazing sight and one of which I WISH i had my camera - STUNNING!!

As I got into sunny Medway, one of the storms came over. Again, as I was driving I didnt get much viewing pleasure, but there was one particularly very bright flash of lightning - the sky was very threatening too!! Then, it was in to the chinese and listening all to briefly the heavy rain!

All in all, not exactly a pinnacle of storm activity, but some truly beautiful sights!!! Was literally, AWESOME!!! B)

glad you got something Harry :) :)

Posted

Nice piccies everyone and a perfect set of Mam's.... B)

I missed everything but the rain yesterday in Croydon, but there were some excellent cloud formations across SW and SE London.

Yet again the Low Countries, Denmark and Northern Germany look like getting activity today. Me? BBQ and beers - Cheers!! :)

Edited by Coast

Posted

Lucky ones not seen one since end of julynonono.gif

End of July ?? Consider yourself lucky young man..this whole summer i have seen 1 yes thats not a typo ONE CG and 1 rumble of thunder..end of. wallbash.gif

Just glad i went to France on hols and caught a cracking lightning storm about 3am one morning...think ill move to where Jurgen stays. cool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Am at Reading festival this w/e, it was the perfect place to watch lines of anvils passing to the North of the site, only a couple of showers here tho luckily since I would have got drenched!

Posted

End of July ?? Consider yourself lucky young man..this whole summer i have seen 1 yes thats not a typo ONE CG and 1 rumble of thunder..end of. wallbash.gif

Just glad i went to France on hols and caught a cracking lightning storm about 3am one morning...think ill move to where Jurgen stays. cool.gif

same here...like you off abroad soon to catch some decent storm's..

Cape energy is nice for next week B) ...

I think it's game over here nearly now for any storm's

when Im away your probaly get an outbreak here :)..that will be my luck...though cant complain saw the world's wickedist lightning this year

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Tuesday and Thursday not looking too bad for a bit of convective activity, especially more so for Ireland and western parts of England, Wales and Scotland!!

Posted

Yes agreed Thursday does look pretty interesting, as does Tuesday for here on the latest run :)

Watch it all go pear shaped now lol, which could still happen obviously as is so often the case..

Edited by StormMad26

Posted

Estofex have issued a level 1 for most of England for tomorrow, could be an interesting day.

most of northern England maybe :)

Interesting to note "a level 1 was issued, with low probability lightning contours (not yet made public)"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The NMM Model shows some Cape for the Midlands and North tomorrow. Doubt much will happen.

Even though here is just in that Level One when did here become Northern United Kingdom. :)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Don't think anything will happen tomorrow in the way of storms, instability is marginal so I think the main threat will be from heavy rain, which the Met Office have issued an advisory for. However the conditions are there, if a storm does develop, for it to turn marginally severe.

Indeed-if it was to happen then it would be a surprise to many! Perhaps as not many have mentioned it-it will come off! :)

We can all dream... :)

Posted

Worth noting that DL & LL shear looks good tomorrow so should anything occur there is a risk of severe weather. :)

Still think if anything happens it will be isolated mainly.

Posted

Tuesday looking promising for the South and Western areas with a brief spell of higher Cape....not so for the East..

Would guess that we may get some frequent Thundery Shower's tomorrow.

Posted

Well I'm not getting too excited about the remaining potential for this year, if it happens then great!

Perhaps someone could open a thread on analysis of this seasons TStorms? I know some members have seen a good to excellent year, but I like many (Harry, Jane Louise etc etc) have had a very poor time of it and as I have said here before, I'm not sure of the scientific reasons for this. Perhaps one of the forecast team could start a thread and give us their thoughts - even if they are that its been a perfectly normal year for thunder and lightning and we've been too impatient.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

My modest ha'penny on it would be that the mean trough in the atlantic we have seen this summer has not backed west at any time far enough away from the BI to allow the continental ridge to the east to hold in position and sustain any plumes from the south. This means that cold fronts have come in too quickly with the jet stream being too strong to allow enough time for the plume to destabalise either sufficiently or for long enough (or both) with the result that storms that have developed have initiated too far east for the UK and have been shunted away north eastwards through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany etc right into central and eastern europe.

I'm sure Paul S or someone qualified like him will give their professional thoughts at some stage to what they think has happenedsmile.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

very informative North Sea Snow Convection...sort of a similar thing I was thinking of a few weeks back.

It does seem as though Cold Front's havent took there time across BI...And seem to this year to rush through.

Like you Coast I think time is running out with the morning getting colder and the night's drawing in..

There isn't much time left apart from the Mediterranean SouthEast..

I dont know what your morning's are like or night's but it's chilly here..

And daytime heating look's slim..

Tuesday still looking like our best bet on the latest chart's for some sharp shower's.

Await the next run :lol:

Posted

just look at the southern flank of that rainband, just west of cornwall, if that continues to stay as intense as it does, it will give some serious problems in leinster. :lol:

Posted

just look at the southern flank of that rainband, just west of cornwall, if that continues to stay as intense as it does, it will give some serious problems in leinster. :mellow:

...That's some nasty rain alright

intense deluge...If it doesnt't diminish

Edited by dogs32