Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 2

Posted

Obviously very cold though not quite as cold as places around us, but the -7C is proper cold thats for sure!

The first front has all but fizzled out though it could still provide a little light snow, the front up north is in no rush which is a good thing for us further SE, the longer it takes the greater the chance of being nightfall by the time the front comes in.

Posted

Dropped to -3c here last night, currently a rather nippy -2.9c. Thats pretty cold for around here, we're a big town afterall, I'm sure those the other side of town with a bit more grass have it even cooler. Going to have to watch the pavements this morning in places!!

Posted

Well looks like the occlusion all but died sadly, but the stuff up north really intensifying now

Once more today GFS and NMM a couple of degrees out on their temperature expectations here

NMM: temp - -1c

dew point - -2c

GFS: temp: -1c

dew point - -3c

Actual:

Temp - -3c

Dew Point - -4c

An exciting afternoon ahead

SK

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Light snow reported by the London Luton Airport METAR at 0750hrs:

LONDON LUTON EGGW 160750Z 25006KT 7000 -SN BKN020 M01/M02 Q1013

Currently -5.1°C here.

looking forward to tomorrow evening onwards when the deep cold air arrives from the east accompanied by increasingly heavy snow showers. Looks like the snow showers will arrive across the Wash, Lincs, Norfolk first with the wrap around occlusion then spreading in further S across E Anglia and the SE overnight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

-4.4 C here at the moment dewpoint is -5.9c the guy on LBC just said light snow for Kondon this arvo but turning back to rain?!

London city airport (surely the warmest in london) forcast TAF - EGLC 160803Z 1609/1618 24006KT 7000 SCT030 BECMG 1611/1614 -RASN -SN BKN008 PROB30 1615/1618 1000 SN BKN001

decoded we have issued at 16 dec at 0803am valid from 09-18hrs wind 240 6kts scattered clouds at 3000ft becoming between 11 and 4pm light sleet, with 800ft cloudbase with a probabilty of 30% between 4 and 6pm snow showers with 100ft cloudbase and 1km visibility :)

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Light snow reported by the London Luton Airport METAR at 0750hrs:

LONDON LUTON EGGW 160750Z 25006KT 7000 -SN BKN020 M01/M02 Q1013

Currently -5.1°C here.

looking forward to tomorrow evening onwards when the deep cold air arrives from the east accompanied by increasingly heavy snow showers. Looks like the snow showers will arrive across the Wash, Lincs, Norfolk first with the wrap around occlusion then spreading in further S across E Anglia and the SE overnight

Currently snowing lightly here in Buntingford, East Herts. First snowflakes for this winter. :)

Posted

Woo hoo! First snowflakes of the winter in High Wycombe! Snowing very lightly but definitely there and falling on frosty ground yahoo.gif

I don't expect it to last long though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Its -6c here which is VERY impressive for the N.Kent coast.

I waited up for hours as that finger of snow moved ever closer, and it fizzled out literally 2 miles away from me, If I had walked down to the beach I would have probably seen it falling out at sea had it been daylight :)

Nevermind theres always the risk later this afternoon which I'm fairly confident will stay falling as snow across parts of Kent and Sussex, rather than turning back to rain like the BBC are suggesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

Its snowing here in Ware, all be it a minute amount but its defo there on the frozen car bonnet rolleyes.gif

Posted

Its -6c here which is VERY impressive for the N.Kent coast.

I waited up for hours as that finger of snow moved ever closer, and it fizzled out literally 2 miles away from me, If I had walked down to the beach I would have probably seen it falling out at sea had it been daylight :good:

Nevermind theres always the risk later this afternoon which I'm fairly confident will stay falling as snow across parts of Kent and Sussex, rather than turning back to rain like the BBC are suggesting.

If it wasnt for the fact it is a warm front i'd have agreed with you

The issue will be that generally once the warm front has passed through we are likely to see it falling as rain/sleet from the clouds....having said that with uppers still looking marginal but perhaps OK you might see sleet rather than rain which would be a bonus

Of course theres always the option that KW suggested yesterday evening where the warm front doesnt quite make it across :)

SK

Posted

Possibly Daniel, depends on how long the front takes to get down here, the longer the better is gthe case today. Anyway quite a stunner of a morning. Given the lows we had last night plus the advancing cloud, some areas probably won't get above freezing today.

Friday is looking very interesting, the GFS shows two areas of precip coming into our region and the dew point profiles suggest it won't even be that marginal either by Thursday eveing, though maybe a touch tough to settle before nightfall. Plenty of precip being forecasted though.

Posted

If it wasnt for the fact it is a warm front i'd have agreed with you

The issue will be that generally once the warm front has passed through we are likely to see it falling as rain/sleet from the clouds....having said that with uppers still looking marginal but perhaps OK you might see sleet rather than rain which would be a bonus

Of course theres always the option that KW suggested yesterday evening where the warm front doesnt quite make it across :)

SK

True - Although if the GFS got last nights temperatures completely wrong, surely it could be doing the same for this afternoon? I think it'll really be a case of watching the radar and seeing what it falls like when it gets here, I agree that warmer air does look likely to move down with it, although whether it'll be quite as warm as the GFS is suggesting is questionable.

If it does turn more to rain, I think theres a slight chance of it turning wintry again on the back edge.

Edited by Daniel AKA WMD

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

-4C here

Maybe next time i should do temp readings from the grass or outside fence NOT the house wall :good::):good:

Posted

Lightly snowing in Potters Bar, Herts.

Let the panic begin...

Seems to be a few reports of snow, reasonably close to where I am here in Sawbridgeworth, East Herts. Heard reports of snow in Ware just down the road.I must say it does look very wintry outside, very cold and the cloud has certainly built to my west.

Posted

I do agree with you Daniel in that the longer the front takes to drag itself down the greater the chances of snowfall staying for longer. The first front still coming down and giving some very light snow in Suffolk and coming down into east Essex. It may wlel be the edge keeps being eroded as the front intially pushs into the drier air.

Posted

we managed to get down to -2.7oC just before 5am here. that's the 2nd coldest night i've recorded since i moved into london in mid-2008. i'm impressed! it's now rising obviously, but slowly does it, currently -2.1oC.

not mush frost around though, which is odd as it's very clear. my little fish pond has frozen over however- forgot to get the tennis ball out!! :)

Edited by tasty_snacks

Posted

True - Although if the GFS got last nights temperatures completely wrong, surely it could be doing the same for this afternoon? I think it'll really be a case of watching the radar and seeing what it falls like when it gets here, I agree that warmer air does look likely to move down with it, although whether it'll be quite as warm as the GFS is suggesting is questionable.

If it does turn more to rain, I think theres a slight chance of it turning wintry again on the back edge.

Very true, I think it also depends, with the warm front taking longer to head south than expected, how quickly the cold front can play catch up. The FAX's have it almost catching up by 6am tomorrow - i suspect it could catch up and occlude a bit nearer to midnight

Seems to be a few reports of snow, reasonably close to where I am here in Sawbridgeworth, East Herts. Heard reports of snow in Ware just down the road.I must say it does look very wintry outside, very cold and the cloud has certainly built to my west.

Yes ive been taking a look out the window but looking at the NW extra radar some went just to our east and some just to our west :good:

Anyway, far more heading from the north later today :)

SK

Posted

Very true, I think it also depends, with the warm front taking longer to head south than expected, how quickly the cold front can play catch up. The FAX's have it almost catching up by 6am tomorrow - i suspect it could catch up and occlude a bit nearer to midnight

Heres hoping :drinks:

I'm shocked to see the BBC still not showing any snow for East Anglia and the South-East for tomorrow, what are they playing at? The models suggest quite a spell of heavy snow through tomorrow and into tomorrow night :doh:

Posted

Yes ive been taking a look out the window but looking at the NW extra radar some went just to our east and some just to our west :drinks:

Anyway, far more heading from the north later today :doh:

SK

Just wondering for the sake of £3.49 whether I should subscribe to the NW extra radar for a month, to cover this period coming up. Is it quite accurate, worth it?

Posted

Just wondering for the sake of £3.49 whether I should subscribe to the NW extra radar for a month, to cover this period coming up. Is it quite accurate, worth it?

Absolutely! :drinks: Better than lamp post watching (well almost!!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Hey all quick question

Where do you do your temp readings from?

Posted

I would thoroughly recommend it! 5 Min updates, you can overlay GFS data or latest conditions data, with a very high resolution and postcode zoom too

SK