Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Cold Spell Discussion 2

M'Lady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Complete low cloud cover now, and showing is falling at a very steady rate - atm is fine and granular, but as you'ld expect, in these conditions it's all settling nicely away from the main roads :p

scrub that report - it's now belting down with nice medium size flakes about the 5mm size - looking better all the time yahoo.gif

Just wondering how marginal it is going to be this evening, at no point have the Met Office had a warning out for the fronts - there will flash warnings later of course - yet they've warned about tomorrow's showers for a couple of days. Seems strange as the risk looks to be about the same.

Snow is making the M6 a bit tricky between Wigan and Charnock Richard even now, so later there could be widespread disruption.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Very fine snow particles here in oldham and looks like it will get heavier as my view of surrounding areas has diminished biggrin.gif.

Last nights low was around -4.9c then between 10am and 10.30 it jumped to 0c. just before the snow started it was above 1c and is now dropping quickly into the minus's again. Snow picking up !

Lets stay calm and collected about the weather in the next 24-48hrs and not reach for the ow'd panic button to quickly.

panic_button.jpg

This crappy Acscot weather station is actually seeming more and more accurate for a cheapo. Its was flashing for snow 30 mins ago which turned out correct lol. -0.4 now and still snowing.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Starting to snow lightly here too! temp still well below freezing upto -2.7°C atm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
Very fine snow particles here in oldham and looks like it will get heavier as my view of surrounding areas has diminished :p.

Last nights low was around -4.9c then between 10am and 10.30 it jumped to 0c. just before the snow started it was above 1c and is now dropping quickly into the minus's again. Snow picking up !

Lets stay calm and collected about the weather in the next 24-48hrs and not reach for the ow'd panic button to quickly.

Quite a difference in temp considering we're not far away from each other, got down to -8.7°C here last night, perhaps because I'm a bit lower down and in a valley?

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Quite a difference in temp considering we're not far away from each other, got down to -8.7°C here last night, perhaps because I'm a bit lower down and in a valley?

Either that or its becuase im on the second floor of a block of flats and my station sensor is dangling off the window sill about 3 or 4 meteres off the ground lol.

Anyway if were getting these sort of showers from weak ppn bands then im very exited for later on when heavier ppn hits us !

So much for the toones of grit on the road there covered over already.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

Either that or its becuase im on the second floor of a block of flats and my station sensor is dangling off the window sill about 3 meteres off the ground lol.

lol :lol:. After tonights snow has cleared, are we expected to get clear skies do you know? I'm just thinking about how low it could go tonight with that extra snow cover!

Posted

still nothing here in Hale, Liverpool not even a flake, certainly non since the GFS pointed out last Thursday when we had a chance of snow.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

lol laugh.gif. After tonights snow has cleared, are we expected to get clear skies do you know? I'm just thinking about how low it could go tonight with that extra snow cover!

Dunno Im not even looking at the charts today until the 12z comes out becuase that run is proving to be more accurate at short range imo.

Posted

still nothing here in Hale, Liverpool not even a flake hasnt been since Thursday

Cloudy and been snowing all morning really, its not ammounting to much, it does go very wet/to very heavy from tiem 2 time. Light dusting and the temperature to me feels like its dropped over the last hour as this morning was quite mild to the feel.

Current conditions, very light grain sleet

Haydock (near Wigan)

Edited by gearbox1001

Posted

Is it snowing up ahston-under-lyne way?? Quite a good snow shower here in irlma at the mo has been comming down for about the last 20 mins

woo 100 posts!!!!

Starting to ease now. Sun will be out and that will be the acid test.

Edited by Dingwantssnow

Posted

We had a small period of snowfall around 11.30 in South Liverpool which has cleared now to brighter, blue skies. It was snowing in the city centre at the same time, and I've heard it was snowing in Meols on the Wirral too. :lol:

Posted

Just wondering how marginal it is going to be this evening, at no point have the Met Office had a warning out for the fronts - there will flash warnings later of course - yet they've warned about tomorrow's showers for a couple of days. Seems strange as the risk looks to be about the same.

Snow is making the M6 a bit tricky between Wigan and Charnock Richard even now, so later there could be widespread disruption.

I think the met office are looking at it as a night event, in which they will probably issue flash warnings when required, but the main bulk of issues will be for Sunday as thats when people and snow will most likely interact.

Northwest tonight have been very negative toward this whole cold spell in general and many times ignored the fact its already been snowing, let alone the chance of possible heavy snow fall.

John

Posted

Some larger flakes coming down now, already covering the roads again!

lol :lol:. After tonights snow has cleared, are we expected to get clear skies do you know? I'm just thinking about how low it could go tonight with that extra snow cover!

It should be clear for a while - how long depends on whether the forecast showers kick in. But it shouldn't get as low because of the the wind.