Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Cold Spell Discussion 2

M'Lady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morning all in the NW, looks like an active cold front now in Northern Scotland, big pressure falls ahead and rises behind indicate its activity. Probable producing a short spell of heavy snowfall early this evening as the cold air mass behind is already undercutting any milder air embedded, so we might even see snowfall more widespread in the region but lasting no more than a couple of hours.

C

Edited by carinthian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Do you have a westerly flow already?

Karyo

Nope it has gone cloudy though here, the kind of cloudy that might give a few snowflakes. The frost is melting fast though

It think it was just a natural fast warming because we weren't overly cold compared to some places afterall last night.

It was -1C by 3am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Morning all in the NW, looks like an active cold front now in Northern Scotland, big pressure falls ahead and rises behind indicate its activity. Probable producing a short spell of heavy snowfall early this evening as the cold air mass behind is already undercutting any milder air embedded, so we might even see snowfall more widespread in the region but lasting no more than a couple of hours.

C

C

Thanks for the update and hopefully more Snow Sunday with that NW wind

Ithink everyone in the NW will be lamp post watching laterlaugh.gif

C.S

I live in Irlam.

-3.5C here.

-4 here Kevin i cant see how this wont be snow at 650ft this evening,i would say manchester which is in the East of the region should be more than fine,im still very sceptical about the extreme west of the region though

and still thinking rain/sleet wet snow .

Defo a nowcast but with a remp of -4 currently its looking very good here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Just started to snow here, only light of course and wont last for long its melting on contact with the ground though

Posted

Morning all. Still -3.5 here, blimmin cold. After some umming and ahhing we've decided to head up to the parents by Mcr Airport this evening and head back tomorrow afternoon... if we don't see any white stuff at some stage either here or there then I'll be amazed... well probably not actually!

Louise

Posted

Still very cold here, -4c - I hope people in the west (especially near the coasts) get at least a bit of snowfall tonight. It's sods law too think there could be a irritating mild sector in this band of precipitation coming down from the North. Just seen the BBC forecast and they are pretty confident of 'Heavy Snow' showers affecting large parts of the North West tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Now time to do a last minute bit of Christmas shopping!

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

The temperature fell to -4.5c last night, but rose rapidly through the morning as it clouded over. It's currently 1.4c, but, to my surprise, it's just started to snow very lightly.

Posted

Still very cold here, -4c - I hope people in the west (especially near the coasts) get at least a bit of snowfall tonight. It's sods law too think there could be a irritating mild sector in this band of precipitation coming down from the North. Just seen the BBC forecast and they are pretty confident of 'Heavy Snow' showers affecting large parts of the North West tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Now time to do a last minute bit of Christmas shopping!

Snowing in Haydock at the moment and its 11.15am, Its light snow and wont stick but its still snowing :) Its not as cold as the met office have bleated on about to be honest, but ive seen snow way earlier than i usually do, so im all happy.

Posted

http://www.wirralcam.org/newbrighton.shtml

Snow settling on New Brighton beach.

Here however its just too warm to settle properly at the moment, although its not actually snowing here now

Posted

Proper snow flakes now, temp still 1.4c and dew point 0.8c. Am going outside to get snowed on because, if it's stopped in Wallasey, it probably won't last much longer here! :)

Posted

It's good to see the odd shower coming through the gap there on the radar.. nice little green splodge heading for south Manchester

If it reaches Manchester it will definately settle as the ground is frozen solid!

However, it needs to be pointed out that the warm sector has not reached us yet - it is just ahead of the col front, currently in southern Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

One of my posts re. today's front was mentioned in this thread.

To be honest I don't hold out much hope for western coastal districts. I remember that on 28 January 2004 in Lancaster, most of the band consisted of sleety stuff and then there was a heavy fall of snow on the backward edge that struggled to settle and thawed from underneath despite temperatures falling from 3C to -1C. Overnight 27th/28th another, similar, band fell as sleet throughout. Further east within the region there was snow.

My post about the warm pool being aligned with the forward edge of the front (rather than the centre of the front as per previous occasions) still stands, and so the chances in NW England are higher than in previous occasions. Those living in the Manchester or Preston districts will probably see a fair bit of snow. But for those of you living adjacent to the Irish Sea I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

But in any case you'll be seeing plenty of snow showers in the polar westerly regime from 21-23 December with only the extreme coastal fringes likely to be warm side of marginal. Regarding Lancaster/Morecambe I won't be surprised if Lancaster sees significant accumulations over 21-23 December while Morecambe gets nowt, which is also what happened on Christmas Day 2004. Lancaster gets slightly more snow than the coastal strip because it is about 6 miles inland from the head of Morecambe Bay.