Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Cold Spell Discussion 2

M'Lady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Actually I just re'sited my thermometer, it was being affected by ice build up on the top, I had to wipe the frost and ice off the screen.

It's actually now -4.8C, not much difference though to be honest, it's still -5C

Not sure as yet re@ wintriness, if ice counts of wintriness then absolutely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Actually I just re'sited my thermometer, it was being affected by ice build up on the top, I had to wipe the frost and ice off the screen.

It's actually now -4.8C, not much difference though to be honest, it's still -5C

Not sure as yet re@ wintriness, if ice counts of wintriness then absolutely.

I meant snow.

Could my temperature reading be affected by my yard? It's 2 metres wide and is enclosed fully. Would that be showing a higher than normal reading?

Posted

So hopefully this time tomorrow, we'll have a sprinkling of the white stuff falling out of the skies. Very cold at present, still lots of ice and snow on the grass from Thursday's falls. Then I think it's possibility of some more showers on Sunday/Monday. Recent winters have favoured the term 'Cold snap', usually a two day event. Nice to experience something with a bit more substance and longevity this time around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I meant snow.

Could my temperature reading be affected by my yard? It's 2 metres wide and is enclosed fully. Would that be showing a higher than normal reading?

Well funnily enough one of friends lives about 500 metres from me, his thermo is recording 3.7C so I imagine his is more accurate, it certainly doesnt feel like -5C as I know what -5C feels like and it's really raw, it does feel more like -3C to be honest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well funnily enough one of friends lives about 500 metres from me, his thermo is recording 3.7C so I imagine his is more accurate, it certainly doesnt feel like -5C as I know what -5C feels like and it's really raw, it does feel more like -3C to be honest

Ohh. :)

Drop is really slow now lol.

Posted

-3 in Warrington, would expect areas out of town to be well below this. This cold spell is starting to remind me of my youth. All we need now is the snow that looks likely over the next couple of days and I will start thinking i'm back in 1985 again!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Had a few more light flurries just before, gave another little dusting. Temp managed to get down to -6.5°C before it clouded over, hopfully it will get lower if it clears up.

Posted

Morning everyone. Well it looks as though the downgrade to tonight's event is complete. We now have sleet forecast for here even by the normally bullish GFS. The cold air never really gets here till well after the precipitation now. All hopes now seemingly focus on tomorrows snow showers and any potential after that.

Posted

I never take any notice of the BBC 5-day online forecast...except when it shows things like this. Knock a couple of degrees off the temperatures too for my location, 20 miles and 400ft higher than Penrith.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2753

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Had a light covering last night which is still around, temp dropped to -3.7c ,today it rose to 2.1c which i find hard to believe as the snow hasn't melted(reckon the reflected sunlight from the house may have distorted the readings either that or one of the cats brushed against my external sensor :) ), currently back down to -2.7c , reckon we could see -6c here overnight .

The forecast tomorrow and beyond is looking fantastic really , i was worried that we were gonna get rain tommorrow but now it looks as if it will snow after all, and the GFS 12z is promising a cold Xmas at the moment....could this be the best winter i've experienced in 20 yrs in the NW(the previous 28 were in Brum)with snow lying for longer than a few hrs :lol: :):)

Dropped to -7.2c overnight , the coldest this year by a long chalk..cuurrently -6.2c..whats the latest thoughts on todays precip!!, snow,sleet,rain??

Posted

Morning all-temp in S.Liverpool is currently -2.5, very calm and still, with thin grey cloud at about 5-6000 ft.

I am suprised at the lack of frost here, considering it must have gone -5 overnight-just a light frost but soil frozen.

THat dreaded mild sector is still there for this evening guys.

I can see this starting as rain on the west coast,we could have a situation where many see rain/sleet/snow and its

not until the precip has gone that the colder uppers push through.

It would be a terrible shame if we get a damp squib,im not saying we will but its a nowcast IMO

Posted

I can see this starting as rain on the west coast,we could have a situation where many see rain/sleet/snow and its

It would be a terrible shame if we get a damp squib,im not saying we will but its a nowcast IMO

Yep. The Beeb and the Meto now seem quite certain it won't snow here today/tonight. I am quite surprised as to the extent of this dreaded mild sector. This was the case for us so many times last winter, and seems like its going to be the same tonight. I am not clued up enough to know why, but it seems like we always seem to catch the mild sectors here, I find it hard to believe there has been a very hard frost overnight, and it's significantly colder than it was yesterday. Now pinning all my hopes on tomorrow, surely this polar Nwly can't fail to deliver too ?

Posted

I would say this will stay as rain/sleet around coastal regions, but will fall as snow inland. Expect around 5cm at lower elevations, and up to 15cms on higher ground! Tomorrow could add as much, in favoured locations!

Posted

Well were always on the wrong side of everything in this region :cray: Best of it is that, even when we have everything in the right place for snow we STILL end up with sleet. Oh well so its going to sleet melt what snow we have and then when and if the snow arrives it wont settle due to the ground being to wet. Ifr i could move out of this country i would...this place is so full of s*&t.

Posted

I would say this will stay as rain/sleet around coastal regions, but will fall as snow inland. Expect around 5cm at lower elevations, and up to 15cms on higher ground! Tomorrow could add as much, in favoured locations!

Do you class preston as coastal?

Posted

Today local obs progs show it reaching +4C (with positive dewpoints) at 9pm so rain is likely. It only falls to 0C or -1C overnight too here which suggests no lying snow

Posted

The all important airport METARS come in handy

Manchester airport

long-TAF: EGCC 181702Z 1818/1924 32006KT 9999 SCT020 PROB40 1821/1910 6000 BECMG 1915/1918 23010KT 7000 RASN BKN010 PROB30 TEMPO 1922/1924 3000 SN BKN004 BECMG 1922/1924 9999 NSW SCT020

Liverpool airport

long-TAF: EGGP 181702Z 1818/1918 34008KT 9999 FEW030 PROB40 1821/1908 6000 PROB30 TEMPO 1903/1908 7000 -SHSN BECMG 1910/1913 26010KT BECMG 1916/1918 23010KT 7000 -RASN BKN014

dont have a clue what they mean

Posted

Manchester: sleet followed by snow

Liverpool: snow showers followed by sleet.

Currently =1.8C here after a low of -4.9C brrr

Posted

Do you class preston as coastal?

I would not, i am 15 miles from the coast (as the crow flies) here, but we are always on the dividing line here where the mild ends and the cooler air starts to kick in. If you use the M6 as a guide that's normally the case. I would expect snow to fall readily East of the M6 as usual, we are more borderline here, and past experience tells me that this will again be the case tonight.

Posted

Manchester: sleet followed by snow

Liverpool: snow showers followed by sleet.

Currently =1.8C here after a low of -4.9C brrr

I would say sleet at best for Liverpool, will be snow in Manchester though!

Posted

Aside from Cumbria Wirral (especially west Wirral) is the most westerly point in the region, humbug, rain it is!