Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Cold Spell Discussion 2

M'Lady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Meto seem sure it will rain here tomorrow looking at the latest forecast, GFS having none of it still forecasting snow. Who will be right ?

A further light dusting overnight, nothing too significant though.

Had a light covering overnight here , it seems that it could fall as rain on saturday in the NW apart from high ground which is very depressing :nonono::wallbash: , the charts are certainly showing a milder sector in the low which is sinking south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Here in Hale, Liverpool. Still not seen a snow shower at all this evening. The strange thing is the temp has once again gone slightly up 1.3C dew point rising slightly to -4C from earlier lower temp. Not sure exactly what is going on. Ocassional scattered clouds some looked potentially threatening but nothing at all. Although it is a lot more cloudier now than it was earlier this evening.

It really is quite amazing how everywhere but this neck of the wood (say 10/15 miles warrington and 10 miles Liverpool) caught some moderate to heavy showers. The even stranger thing is that Runcorn caught a shower or two.

It's not strange. I'm further east than you.

Woke up to a nice dusting here this morning. -1.6c after a low of -1.9c.

It's not strange. I'm further east than you.

Woke up to a nice dusting here this morning. -1.6c after a low of -1.9c.

Around 3cm but its patchy as the wind was blowing it around.

HAve to say im getting a bit twitchy about saturday now.

Looks like the dreaded warm sector is going to rear its ugly head.

Personally id rather it stays cold now and dry.dont want no sleet/wet snow ruining the picture postcard scenes.

usally id be feeling quite confident that my 650feet and being more east would help but ive seen mild sectors

ruin it for us plenty of times in the past.

In summary it could go either way for me but those near the coasts are looking at rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Good morning all

Just a quick one from me on the weekend

Saturday

The PPN from the north will fall as rain/Sleet away from high ground as the front coming down will have a warm

sector associated with it causing the DP to rise above freezing on the back end of the front i expect the ppn to turn to Snow

Briefly before leaving the most southern parts of the region

Acold night to come with widespread ice and frost temps down to around -3c

Sunday

From mid morning onwards heavey and continious snow showers effecting the whole region and continuing through the night

And first part of the day Mon gradually dying out from miday onwards

My rough guess for accumaltions

Low ground 5-7cm

high ground 10-15cm

C.S

Posted

Mixed messages coming from the BBC. Last night Rob McElwe said anything coming out of the sky by the weekend would be snow, local BBC presenter bird this morning only had the Pennines getting snow and Carol Kirkwood had only the coast getting rain. Lets hope Rob's right!

Posted

A slight dusting of snow here in chorlton mind you I wasnt really expecting any snow yesterday so thats a bonus.

Im a bit disappointed to see heavy rain forecast for here tomorrow afternoon, do you think that will prevent the snow forecast for monday from sticking ?

Posted

A slight dusting of snow here in chorlton mind you I wasnt really expecting any snow yesterday so thats a bonus.

Im a bit disappointed to see heavy rain forecast for here tomorrow afternoon, do you think that will prevent the snow forecast for monday from sticking ?

Snow may not stick in dry conditions anyway, if the ground is above 0c. If it gets to 0c then the wet roads will freeze, and snow can stick, however its looking unlikely that the temperature will be low enough for any accumulation in Preston

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

I found the current dew points yesterday (thanks guys :unsure: ) so now how do I find the projected ones?!...

netweather gfs charts, surface conditions

light snow again here, are these showers meant to continue through the day?

Posted

It has to be said that the 0z and 6z gfs have increased the warm sector coming down with the front tomorrow evening. Therefore rain is likely for a time on most places apart from the Pennine areas. It should turn back to snow though before the front clears.

Sunday is still looking snowy for our region. Snow may strugle to settle near the Irish coast but hould do further in land and hopefully the snow showers will be quite heavy too!

The early part of next week is continuig cold and as the flow from the Irish sea is cut off, it should turn quite frosty too!

Karyo

Posted

After watching the latest BBC weather forecast, im alittle sad. As Rob last night said anything falling from the sky on Saturday is likely to be snow. Plus the bbc had rain for most parts of cumbria, with snow further East, i also think the bbc had the band of rain sleet and snow move through rather quick.:drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Were going to record an ice day for certain here! Currently -1.0 after a low of -1.9C

Posted

It was certainly very cold in South Liverpool last night with a frost over the cars and gardens. We might have had a little snow in the early hours as there appeared to be snowflakes frozen onto my car windows this morning! It is a lovely day here with bright sunshine trying to melt the frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Because of the sun?

it's already going back down here (the temperature), that must be the shortest lived maximum I've ever seen. :)

-1.1C and falling - it's certainly unusual to see the temperature fall from 11am in the morning (in that it usually rises until about 2-3pm)

Posted

Yeah but the sun shouldnt melt when the air is below 0? i think im wrong actually :S according to net weathers forecast, bad tomorrow, sleet etc, sundays good and monday is great, even for preston, i feel it wont stick though, im too coastal

Posted

Because of the sun?

it's already going back down here (the temperature), that must be the shortest lived maximum I've ever seen. :D

-1.1C and falling - it's certainly unusual to see the temperature fall from 11am in the morning (in that it usually rises until about 2-3pm)

It will be interesting to see how low the temperature will get tonight! It should be clear with very little breeze and cold uppers and snowcover for some areas!

Karyo

Posted

Yeah but the sun shouldnt melt when the air is below 0? i think im wrong actually :S according to net weathers forecast, bad tomorrow, sleet etc, sundays good and monday is great, even for preston, i feel it wont stick though, im too coastal

You might find that the houses where the snow is melting off the rooftops have poor insulation.

So the air temp is below 0, but the heat radiating out of the house up through the roof is melting the snow.

Edited by Frozen Lands

Posted

You might find that the houses where the snow is melting off the rooftops have poor insulation.

So thei air temp is below 0, but the heat radiating out of the house up through the roof is melting the snow.

well yeah thats very likely,some of the buildings down here will built on the cheap when it comes to insulation. Not expecting much in terms of showers looking at the radar, possibly a flurry in the afternoon

Posted

Latest by the Met Office

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of north and western Scotland, Northern Ireland, parts of the West Midlands, northwest England and northern Wales on Sunday. Heavy snow showers may give accumulations of 2-5cm and there is a risk of 10 to 15cm over hills.

Issued at: 1043 Fri 18 Dec

Posted

It will be interesting to see how low the temperature will get tonight! It should be clear with very little breeze and cold uppers and snowcover for some areas!

Karyo

Indeed, I fully expect at least -5C tonight but I imagine some places could go as low as -7C, the focus of the cold tonight is once again shifted the west though.

Posted

How come last night was so, relatively, mild then? A low of just -3.6º is quite mild for me, considering there was lying snow.

Suprised you were only at -3.6 considering where you are. We got -5.1 last night here