Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

If we get nothing tonight and tommorow i will be furious, yet again its heaviest down the east and theyve already had plenty PLUS its a North Westerly.

Looks like the winds may well be to westerly tommorow after a few hours to see anything anyway then dry and sunny all week...

Posted

I have to say, it looks as though the forecasters have called this one wrong. It is just sliding out into the north sea, will only affect the far east Midlands and East Anglia if it continues its current path sad.gif

The western flank will reintensify although not as heavy on the eastern side, the winds are veering from N to WNW, it's just a visual effect where it seems all the band the will go towards the east.

Like i said hit and miss as usual but better than no snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yes, it's now going markedly South East so I would expect very little in Staffs,Shrops and the West Middleuns. Could be some decent falls in South Yorks, Leics and parts of Notts.

Very disappointing. Especially as the BBC were still predicting it to go straight through the Midlands as recently as this afternoon. Will have to rely on any showers coming through the Cheshire Gap tomorrow.

Posted

Quite a last minute downgrade on upper air tonight,up to -3c...-10c upper just a small dot now.

http://91.121.93.17/wz/pics/Rmgfs092.gif

http://91.121.93.17/wz/pics/Rmgfs122.gif

0.5c here cloudy with damp patches on surfaces freezing so thats something.

Sleet/snow will settle as it is now.

Freezing rain will settle too as ice. :(

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Despite the fact the western edge of the PPN has been compeltely decimated, the Met Office have given north Wales a severe weather warning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Just got in and checked the radar, all I can say is...

WHAT THE HECK!!! Why is it breaking up just in the part where it would hit the Midlands? :(:(

This is a JOKE. On the plus side, no chance of it falling as rain or sleet here, currently -1 at present with a -3 dew point and let me tell you... it feels it too!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

lol this is funny every1 is worrying so much , the shape has changed a lot in the last few hours , and will continue to develop in the next few also , we will be ok , have faith in the bbc , the other night they were clock on with the streamers and they will be tonight , it will pep up as it comes south for us all , they have said the east will bear the best, but we will still see 5-10cm i can almost be sure of that ,keep the faith ppl

Posted

Just got in and checked the radar, all I can say is...

WHAT THE HECK!!! Why is it breaking up just in the part where it would hit the Midlands? wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

This is a JOKE. On the plus side, no chance of it falling as rain or sleet here, currently -1 at present with a -3 dew point and let me tell you... it feels it too!!!

I don't care what anybody says, the Midlands is probably the worst place in the country for snow...

Posted

lol this is funny every1 is worrying so much , the shape has changed a lot in the last few hours , and will continue to develop in the next few also , we will be ok , have faith in the bbc , the other night they were clock on with the streamers and they will be tonight , it will pep up as it comes south for us all , they have said the east will bear the best, but we will still see 5-10cm i can almost be sure of that ,keep the faith ppl

Have faith in the BBC :):)

Let me remind you, this is the same BBC that gave this as snow in December last year and it started off as rain in the Midlands and STAYED as rain...

Biggest cock up of a forecast i'd ever seen, 6 hours before the event.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

Have faith in the BBC :):)

Let me remind you, this is the same BBC that gave this as snow in December last year and it started off as rain in the Midlands and STAYED as rain...

Biggest cock up of a forecast i'd ever seen, 6 hours before the event.

Anyone else remember it?

post-2115-12612416311858_thumb.jpg

Posted

As I have said before, they are paranoid about being caught out. They would have made their minds up earlier today to gradually put the warnings out as the front heads South despite the obvious breaking up of the feature. How many people in N Wales will not go out tonight because of this only to wake up in the morning to wonder what the fuss was about ?

True. But the words of the warning seem as though it isn't even going to be that bad. The icy roads I can understand. But 5cm of snow over high ground? I wouldn't call that "severe" in a million years. No doubt we will get one soon, which is usually the kiss of death for snow.

Posted

Well again that's a reflection of both the christmas pudding and the Health and Safety obsession that has developed in recent years. Twenty odd years ago, nobody would have batted an eyelid about what is happening tonight.

The what Ian? :D

If we had a very cold, very snowy winter (which will obviously happen again at some point) then our country simply would not cope. We rely too heavily on transport, electricity, gas etc. and would cripple the entire country.

The scenes we have seen down in the south east the past few days have been nothing short of pathetic.

Not looking at the radar now because I know it is pretty much game over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

The what Ian? laugh.gif

If we had a very cold, very snowy winter (which will obviously happen again at some point) then our country simply would not cope. We rely too heavily on transport, electricity, gas etc. and would cripple the entire country.

The scenes we have seen down in the south east the past few days have been nothing short of pathetic.

Listen pls people go and have another look at the latest radar and see that as they have updated to half 4 and notice how its intensified again as its come over land , it will continue to do this as it moves closer , love it lol

Posted

The what Ian? :D

Whats pi**ing me off is that the band seems to be moving in a ESE motion rather than SSE. I don't get that, I thought the cold front was moving straight down across the country not in an ESE movement. Did you say they put a warning out in North Wales? What the heck for? It's not even cold enough there lol XC weather shows most stations in North Wales reporting 3c temp and 2c dew.

Posted

Listen pls people go and have another look at the latest radar and see that as they have updated to half 4 and notice how its intensified again as its come over land , it will continue to do this as it moves closer , love it lol

Shaun sometimes people call me by my Surname... Can I call you... WIILLLLMMEERRR!!! As what Fred says to Wilma in the Flinstones? :D

Posted

Last night's front failed to give anything to drizzle here and all the showers have stayed over Manchester direction all day, plus the charts are showing mild

air flooding the UK by next weekend with no proper breakdown either.

^ Just predicting the posts for this time tommorow.

Posted

Yes Nick, OON has tampered with the settings so that those words become Christmas Pudding !

I know it has Ian, just winding you up biggrin.gif

Why do people keep saying it is going to intensify? I haven't seen any evidence to suggest it by anybody. It is sliding south east, and the section that will probably hit the Midlands has a great big gaping hole in it!

And Andy, they have put out a warning for heavy snow, despite saying in the warning it will be 5cm over high ground! Absolutely pathetic.

Edited by nick2702