Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Radar showing first signs of snow just to the south of London

Friend of mine just emailed to say it's snowing in Mill Hill (north London) - interesting (-:

Posted

Just posted in the last thread but its locked now.

Just south of camberley, Surrey J3 M3. Temp 1c dew point 1c. Rain falling melting the laying snow slowly but surely. Anyone with any idea on the chance of snow on the back edge later?

Posted

A noticeable thaw taking place here now. Temp at 8am was -4.4c, now 1.8c and rising. I had 5cm of lying snow still from the falls of Thursday and Saturday night but its now visibly melting. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Perhaps the areas to the north and east of me will hang on to the colder temps a while longer ?

Northwood, NW London/Herts border. 67m asl.

Posted

I posted yesterday that the Met Office forecast our weather in Lowestoft to be unbroken sunshine for the next 5 days. 24 hours later and they now forecast 2 days off continuous rain. Goodbye White Christmas, hello soggy New Year. Nice while it lasted.

Posted

A noticeable thaw taking place here now. Temp at 8am was -4.4c, now 1.8c and rising. I had 5cm of lying snow still from the falls of Thursday and Saturday night but its now visibly melting. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Perhaps the areas to the north and east of me will hang on to the colder temps a while longer ?

Northwood, NW London/Herts border. 67m asl.

Temps here 0C, Dew point -2C, so hopefully PPN will fall as snow later

Posted

Just posted in the last thread but its locked now.

Just south of camberley, Surrey J3 M3. Temp 1c dew point 1c. Rain falling melting the laying snow slowly but surely. Anyone with any idea on the chance of snow on the back edge later?

Hi Mesocyclone, welcome to the forum :D

Im sorry to hear that your snow is melting, this is quite similar to what happened on the 5th of February this year. There is a chance of the rain turning to snow on its back edge, but because of the snow melt, may not settle

Posted

Hi Mesocyclone, welcome to the forum biggrin.gif

Im sorry to hear that your snow is melting, this is quite similar to what happened on the 5th of February this year. There is a chance of the rain turning to snow on its back edge, but because of the snow melt, may not settle

Thanks for the welcome, as i type it has got heavier and is turning more to sleet, anyone know if this is anything to do with a warm sector passing or just the increased intensity?

I think those to the north of London away from the urban heat will see snow, very marginal here all morning

Edited by mesocyclone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

very light rain/sleet here. But the ground must still be freezing as the ice and snow that is left has barely melted at al during the past few days, and hasnt melted this morning either.

Posted

:drinks: I knew there was a reason I took pictures this morning of my 2-3 foot long Icicles hanging everywhere. TBH I am glad that I am in the rain area up to Xmas as the ice sheets around where I live are about 8" Thick at present and I have seen so many people fall over on pavements. Dont think todays rain is going to get anywhere near to melting all of the ice as it is so thick but a rapid thaw with + temps over the next few days will be welcome as Folks are coming down for Xmas.

It can snow all it wants in January though :rofl::good:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Radar showing first signs of snow just to the south of London

It ain't snow though here south of London, it's light rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

I think those to the north of London away from the urban heat will see snow, very marginal here all morning

Welcome (-:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

looks like the rain/sleet IS turning to snow as it emerges from London

Posted

Welcome (-:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

looks like the rain/sleet IS turning to snow as it emerges from London

Thank you.

Raintoday showed snow over me this morning around 10am and it was rain, dew point down 1c to 0c now, going the right way!

Some big flakes starting to get mixed in with the rain, looking so close yet so far!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

good.gif I knew there was a reason I took pictures this morning of my 2-3 foot long Icicles hanging everywhere. TBH I am glad that I am in the rain area up to Xmas as the ice sheets around where I live are about 8" Thick at present and I have seen so many people fall over on pavements. Dont think todays rain is going to get anywhere near to melting all of the ice as it is so thick but a rapid thaw with + temps over the next few days will be welcome as Folks are coming down for Xmas.

It can snow all it wants in January though rofl.gifgood.gif

Massive icicles in Ipswich today as well - I have never seen any that big before ! We have loads of snow still as well...so Im not too fussed whether its sleet or snow or rain here....but some more snow would be nice just to see even more though !

Posted

Well MetO have a warning out for Herts, but not Essex, and as I'm on the Herts/Essex border I'm expecting a horrible sleety rain now. Temp is up to 0.9c and increasing still.

Posted

Flash warning for EA is here:

Local areas affected Warning type Valid from Valid to East of England: Bedfordshire Cambridgeshire Hertfordshire Luton Norfolk Peterborough Heavy Snow 1500 Mon 21 0600 Tue 22 Rain and sleet will turn increasingly to snow as it spreads northwards across many southern and eastern parts of England during Monday afternoon and Monday night. There will be accumulations of 2 to 5 cm of fresh snow in many areas, with up to 10 cm likely in places, especially on higher ground.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the 'Highways Agency' for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1045 Mon 21 Dec

Posted

I would now discribe it as wet snow. some lovely big flakes starting, i think this could give a very good dumping for some. Amazing how the models didnt get hold of this equally at such a short timeframe....