Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Certainly very interesting here. Rain started with the temp at 3.7ºC which had reduced with evaporative cooling to 2.3ºC. Then the hail started for about 5 mins which has now whitened everywhere again. Currently raining with hail and sleety bits and the temperature has reduced further to 1.3ºC. If this continues then the possiblity of a full change to snow is not out of the question.

Much depends on whether the front pivots back nw, the bbc forecast showed the precip heading back nw later in the afternoon with less cold upper air being pulled up from the se over the Channel, i have my doubts though and they seemed to have gone against their 48hrs ukmo model which showed the precip not getting as far north as the 00hrs output. Several of the weather warnings they issued for parts of the west country already look like imploding, of course these situations are always difficult to get right but i fear much toys out of prams this evening from members of certain areas that were originally highlighted as being at highest risk!

Posted

This is the siort of set-up thats a nightmare to forecast because the conditions are so borderline it could be a very wintry mix, with at times rain, then sleet and snow falling all in a short space of time, a similar set-up will occur with many other of the borderline systems that are progged to come up, some places get nailed, others will just get rain followed by a big freeze up overnight.

Posted

Much depends on whether the front pivots back nw, the bbc forecast showed the precip heading back nw later in the afternoon with less cold upper air being pulled up from the se over the Channel, i have my doubts though and they seemed to have gone against their 48hrs ukmo model which showed the precip not getting as far north as the 00hrs output. Several of the weather warnings they issued for parts of the west country already look like imploding, of course these situations are always difficult to get right but i fear much toys out of prams this evening from members of certain areas that were originally highlighted as being at highest risk!

Yes Nick. If the PPN does not pivot NW then I can imagine EA and north Home counties to stay dry.

Edited by Archie_Lewis

Posted

I disagree.

If you look at the 0Z output it suggest the band of precip reaches as far N as N Lincs/Humber. However the 13.25 forecast suggested as far N as the wash into Norfolk.

Also if you follow the area of snow on the link below and zoom into E Anglia you will see its actually moving N as suggested by the models. This is going to be a slow process which is why it isn't forecast to reach Cambs.Norfolk until this evening.

http://www.meteox.com/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=209&y=209

At the moment everything is going as planned.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
Cold weather chaos in Sussex

10:20am Monday 21st December 2009

Hundreds of people have been injured after falling on icy pavements as the big freeze continues to bite. During the weekend, hospitals across Sussex were inundated with patients who had broken limbs after falling on ungritted pavements. At Worthing General Hospital, more than 120 people were taken to accident and emergency with injuries on Saturday and Sunday. Most were treated and allowed home but several had to be admitted for operations on more serious injuries.

Jeanie Bowman, director of clinical services at Worthing General, said: "The number of people who have been seen in A&E is huge. "We had at least 60 waiting on Saturday at the peak of demand and by lunchtime on Sunday we had seen another 50. "These are the largest numbers we have seen for falls on ice in a very long time."

The picture was repeated at hospitals across the county after pavements turned hazardous as temperatures plummeted. Ambulance services were also stretched as paramedics dealt with dozens of calls every hour to falls.

www.theargus.co.uk

Posted

Ok I am slighlty anoyed with that!laugh.gif

I am very close and was in Hemel till 12:30 today!laugh.gif

Moderate rain falling. Odd snow flake.

Areas to the south of me are in blizzard conditions, quite extraordinary!

Posted

Moderate rain falling. Odd snow flake.

Areas to the south of me are in blizzard conditions, quite extraordinary!

This shows that either colder air is coming in OR that the colder temps are not posh enough for Herts!:lol::winky:

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

It has stopped precipitating now which has given me a good view of the cloud base. Currently there is a easterly draw component to lower clouds forming overhead. However out at sea the clouds are moving in a westwards direction.

Posted

I disagree.

If you look at the 0Z output it suggest the band of precip reaches as far N as N Lincs/Humber. However the 13.25 forecast suggested as far N as the wash into Norfolk.

Also if you follow the area of snow on the link below and zoom into E Anglia you will see its actually moving N as suggested by the models. This is going to be a slow process which is why it isn't forecast to reach Cambs.Norfolk until this evening.

http://www.meteox.co...oom&x=209&y=209

At the moment everything is going as planned.

Thanks for that. Sadly on your chart my house in North Lowestoft overlooking the sea still misses the snow, or rain, or sleet, or whatever by 1 millimetre.

Posted

Yeah Met Office warning is for sleet to turn to snow......

Calm!laugh.gif Looking at cams on M3 there doesn't appear to be any snow......

On the hills close to Junction 5 of the M3 there is heavy snow with accumulations of up to 3". On ground below 500 ft there is also moderate/heavy snow, and has been for the last 1.5 hours. It is however wet snow and therefore is only adding to the snow on the ground in the very heavy bursts.

Posted

the meeting of the warm front and cold front appears to be just west of london. the snow appears to be in the area of the cold front. areas in line and to the east of the kink (say slough up through hemel) are seeing rain/sleet whereas to the west, its more likely to be snow. i guess it depends what direction this kink moves in. not the greatest description but if you look at meteox and zoom in on the se, you'll see what i mean.

Posted

It has stopped precipitating now which has given me a good view of the cloud base. Currently there is a easterly draw component to lower clouds forming overhead. However out at sea the clouds are moving in a westwards direction.

Thats probably the demarkation between the colder and milder upper air temps, if the forecast by the ukmo is right then the ribbon of precip near the Isle of Wight will grind to a halt as the front portion of the front heads nw, it's all very messy and borderline which is quite typical in these situations.