Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Small snow shower earlier in Hemel..........

Could I have snow? I live on the Western side of Herts so this may help and I have altitude.

Good afternoon Saint,

I think we could both get a couple of inches of snow, some snow has been reported just south of London so we both have a good chance tonight

Posted

Could I have snow? I live on the Western side of Herts so this may help and I have altitude.

I'd say you have a decent chance, you may well get snow whilst over here in East Herts I could just get rain. It's very marginal and we won't really know what's coming until it arrives!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

just rain here, and becoming slushy as the ice and snow starts to melt. not pleasant. For me it either needs to be freezing cold with snow, or baking hot. cant stand cold and damp/wet weather.

Posted

This morning i have seen ice pellets first thing, then sleet, then rain, then sleet. Now i can say it is snowing quite heavily although very wet snow at the moment. An hour ago it was raining.

I think if it gets to you guys further north your getting another dumping!

Although wet, its starting to lay on the cars again!

HEAVIEST I'VE SEEN IT THIS WINTER!!! YEAH!! just when i thought i had a day of rain!

Edited by mesocyclone

Posted

I'd say you have a decent chance, you may well get snow whilst over here in East Herts I could just get rain. It's very marginal and we won't really know what's coming until it arrives!

Yup! Won't be long, places in North london reporting PPN so not long.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Flash warning for EA is here:

Local areas affected Warning type Valid from Valid to East of England: Bedfordshire Cambridgeshire Hertfordshire Luton Norfolk Peterborough Heavy Snow 1500 Mon 21 0600 Tue 22 Rain and sleet will turn increasingly to snow as it spreads northwards across many southern and eastern parts of England during Monday afternoon and Monday night. There will be accumulations of 2 to 5 cm of fresh snow in many areas, with up to 10 cm likely in places, especially on higher ground.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the 'Highways Agency' for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1045 Mon 21 Dec

Hello,

Has anyone got an idea what I might get in MK ?

I'm getting conflicting forecasts depending on who's you look at. At the moment there is quite heavy cloud cover, it has increased all morning as we started with blue sky and sunshine. No sure about temps etc but it still feels pretty chilly to me and the snow/ice we already have hasn't melted much.

Sorry I'm not very good on the technical stuff but very interested and hope to learn more on here !

Posted

Hello,

Has anyone got an idea what I might get in MK ?

I'm getting conflicting forecasts depending on who's you look at. At the moment there is quite heavy cloud cover, it has increased all morning as we started with blue sky and sunshine. No sure about temps etc but it still feels pretty chilly to me and the snow/ice we already have hasn't melted much.

Sorry I'm not very good on the technical stuff but very interested and hope to learn more on here !

You should get sleet/snow.

Sleet here at 2.5c

Posted

This is the netweather alert issued today:

Alert risk period:

21/12/09 1230 until 22/12/09 1200

Alert details:

Snow and Icy roads

Rain, associated with a developing frontal system, is already into some southern counties. This will spread north or north east during the afternoon into the evening. As it moves north it will turn increasingly to sleet and snow.

Areas to be affected look like being from about a northern most extent of south Wales through the Midlands into Lincolnshire, possibly as far north as the Humber. The snow limit on its southern flank being inland areas from the south coast across to central areas of East Anglia.

Within this area then falls of 2-5cm are probable with rather higher values for hilly areas.

There is still some doubt about the northward extent so we may update later today if necessary.

Widespread icy roads will follow the precipitation band by dawn.

Other areas, chiefly over Scotland, especially central, northern and western regions, could get a further 2-5cm in places from wintry showers before they tend to die out this evening.This also refers to parts of Northern Ireland and NW England.

Almost everywhere will have a moderate and in some places severe frost giving icy surfaces tonight and into tomorrow.

Confidence: 80%

Issued by john holmes for Netweather.tv

Posted

I'll share the latest radar image with 850hpa overlay and sea level pressure with you. Could give you lot a good idea of what's going on/might happen!

EDIT: I always forget to attach the image! :yahoo:

Here's the latest radar with 850hpa overlay and sea level pressure.

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Just rain here im afraid in south herts..quite heavy too..very cold

Posted

Damn my crisp and even snow is disappearing as the temps has gone upto 1.8c above freezing for the first time in 4 days. Oh well its sleeting/wet snow which is no good to anyone at the moment. Temps has fallen. Actually temp is now no 0.7c dew point is 0.7c trying hard to snow . What the min dew point for snow. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

You should get sleet/snow.

Sleet here at 2.5c

Thanks, I hope it is more like snow than sleet ~ just noticed the odd tiny flake has just started to come down in the last couple of minutes !

I have to go out soon but will keep you all posted later on what we have had/are getting here :-)

Posted

Not going to snow here for at least 2 hours yet, but I am keeping a close eye on this

I think Cambs will be in a good firing line from this.

Unless it stalls due west of you over Northampton.laugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Light drizzle in south east London :drinks:

Posted

Hmmm nothing yet.......... Maybe we are to far west?:drinks:

no saint - not too far west. in line for a fair amount of precip but it looks like sleet to me. it really is borderline with your altitude helping. keep watching that dewpoint!!

Posted

Still holding as wet snow here, noticed the wind has turned to come from the east. Although a very light wind its surely better than the sse we had!

Laying on the cars but sliding down the window. From rain to wet snow in a few hours is going the right way. 1C more drop and i'll be in for a good dump by the look of the radar!

I got a good feeling about this one! always the unexpected brings the best!