Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

Has been fallling for the past 13 minutes. Went through a heavy phase for 2 minutes has been light for the rest. Now beginning to stop.

Temperature 0.6C - Light snow

Has Left the slightest of smattering on road surfaces.

Edit: Seems to be a secondary band developing behind the first more substantial one.

C.L.

Edited by Cric_lancster

Posted

10 Mins of light snow, larger flakes now, hopefully the picture will attach, and show what has just been dumped. :whistling: Temp risen now to exactly 0c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

-6.1°C now :whistling:

Please let the cloud stay away!

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

-6C?? Its only 0C here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

-6C?? Its only 0C here!

Yep :D well 25cm of snow does help!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

of course, yep and its only 10:40pm. I think think it'll stay clear for you James, so at worse it'll keep cooling until about midnight, at best itll stay clear and wind free, and fall to about -10C!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

of course, yep and its only 10:40pm. I think think it'll stay clear for you James, so at worse it'll keep cooling until about midnight, at best itll stay clear and wind free, and fall to about -10C!

Going back down now Stephen.

-1.0c after reaching -0.4c earlier.

Expecting a fresh dusting when i wake up (With a bit of luck).

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

There seems to be more precipitation over the Irish sea and the northwestern part of our region than the forecasts have suggested!

The flow is slowly changing and a northwesterly will soon develop.

The 18z gfs has upgraded the wintry showers for tomorrow, as it keeps the wind from the west/northwest for longer!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looks like it's (finally) chucking it down in the Lancaster area from the radar!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

Well I've never been more shocked, had about an inch and a bit in the last half an hour. Thick heavy snow for the past half an hour, 50p flakes and all that. I feel as though I belong a bit more now! I'm going out to enjoy it.

Just noticed TWS, it definitely has been. Edit Just stopped now.

C.L.

Edited by Cric_lancster

MY goodness its cold tonight.Approaching -6 here already.

IF The skies stay clear -10 is nailed on and that is frigid for jan or feb let alone Dec.

:drinks: :huh: :huh:

Im beginning to think my snowcover could be still partially on the ground until the end of the week,certainly

where people have shovelled it against walls etc,it would take days of rain to clear all that after nights

of -10 .

Well I've never been more shocked, had about an inch and a bit in the last half an hour. Thick heavy snow for the past half an hour, 50p flakes and all that. I feel as though I belong a bit more now! I'm going out to enjoy it.

C.L.

:lol: :lol:

You enjoy it dude its great to see everyone getting in on the act. :lol:

Posted

-1.4 here, I hope i get some snow tonight ! diablo.gif

-0.5C here.

I doubt well get snow but there is cloud streaming across from the west.

Posted

MY goodness its cold tonight.Approaching -6 here already.

IF The skies stay clear -10 is nailed on and that is frigid for jan or feb let alone Dec.

:lol: :lol: ;)

Im beginning to think my snowcover could be still partially on the ground until the end of the week,certainly

where people have shovelled it against walls etc,it would take days of rain to clear all that after nights

of -10 .

:lol: ;)

You enjoy it dude its great to see everyone getting in on the act. :rofl:

Yes certainly is cold, it's why I'm hoping any showers won't reach us, clear skies all the way please :D

Edited by James M

Posted

Its been a very wintry scene this evening in Kendal.

Heavy snow showers or longer spells of snow on and off for much of the evening depositing a further 2 inches covering all the main roads through the town centre - tomorrow morning is going to be exceptionally icy.

There is a general 6 inch cover in sheltered spots, but more widespread 4-5 inch cover, not since March 2006 have we seen totals of this amount, last year we managed a paltry 3 inches.

Will be interesting to see whether we catch any further hefty doses of snow overnight, the showers do seem to be liking this area.

Tomorrow could see a repeat performance, and Wednesday has further snow showers written all over it.

However, the snow has been rather wet today and began to thaw this evening under the cloudy skies, not sure where, must be a bit of warm sector mixed in, hopefully skies will clear overnight firming it all up, tomorrow and Wednesday and possibly Thursday may struglle to get above 0 degrees, 1 degree at best, with Wednesday night looking like being a very cold night indeed.

Further ahead, hoping the breakdown stays away until the early hours of Boxing Day, Christmas Eve and Day are looking potentially superb with the cold clear skies and snow cover - a real treat, I won't care if we don't see any snowflakes on the day, but I would be annoyed if it all suddenly turns to mush - on the positive side the breakdown does't look likely until early Boxing Day.

Posted

My car was telling me -1.5 in Manchester city centre, and -3C here in the suburb of Whitefield. Very cold, and incredibly icy. Took 40 mins to dig my car out of the snow this morning!

Posted

Tonight is almost certainly going to be the last really cold night of this current spell! Tomorrow night will be too breezy for any meaningful minimas and then Wednesday night may well see a band of precipitation coming from the south.

Karyo

Posted
on the positive side the breakdown does't look likely until early Boxing Day.

My parents are coming for lunch on Boxing Day, and excessive snow and ice could prevent them from reaching me. Another good way would be to shoot their tyres out.

Posted

My parents are coming for lunch on Boxing Day, and excessive snow and ice could prevent them from reaching me. Another good way would be to shoot their tyres out.

At last! A flaw in an OON argument! Isn't letting the tyres down a good way of getting better grip on snow?