Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Haven't you guys had enough snow you greedy bunch laugh.gif

I was in the West Midlands and there was a good 10 inches on the ground!!

And which West Midlands was that? West Midlands of Pluto?......

Gerrrouuuur eyaaaaaadiablo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Haven't you guys had enough snow you greedy bunch :rolleyes:

What planet were you on at the time? The West Midlands has barely had a flake for the whole cold spell. Its an utter joke.

Posted

Haven't you guys had enough snow you greedy bunch :lol:

Your near Manchester and have been in the one spot that has had constant snow Showers coming in . They never made it any further South into the West midlands. Even so I doubt you have 10 Inches .... Hope you don;t tell the ladies that when you chat them up . :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

So either rain or snow tonight? Personally, I hope it will be the latter, though I do have a slight uncomfortable feeling that any snow we'll get may start to become more sleety as temperatures slowly rise. Just hope I'm wrong.

Posted

This is worrying .. it is 7 deg with a due point of 4 in Blackpool already . This is also a massive freezing rain event for the South . Accident reports are likely to start coming in thick and fast.

How annoying .. the Warm air has won at the first attempt . So much for cold air being difficult to budge .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

I was looking at some of the minima reached in central southern England last night...blimey. Not at all surprised of the freezing rain reports. An exciting twist to the cold spell. I would love to experience freezing rain, but not for the drive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just done my weekly paper round, and I was very close to spending Christmas in hospital! The black ice is a nightmare. Where there was snow lying it wasn't so bad as it was grippy. But where it had melted and refroze was a death trap. Lovely morning though.

Posted

This is worrying .. it is 7 deg with a due point of 4 in Blackpool already . This is also a massive freezing rain event for the South . Accident reports are likely to start coming in thick and fast.

How annoying .. the Warm air has won at the first attempt . So much for cold air being difficult to budge .

still freezing or below most areas around leics atm, and looking at the forecasts they expect it to drop back a little bit before the precip hits us later on, so even if we get upto 1-2c theres still a chance by the time it gets here it will be below freezing again. I just hope we dont get freezing rain. I think where the heaviest precip is, snow will be likely.

Posted

And has anybody else noticed the anaprop on the NW radar? Really is bad today!

Posted

7c in blackpool does seem warm considering the south coast is only around 3.5c

2.5c in manchester. maybe 7c for blackpool isnt right?

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

And has anybody else noticed the anaprop on the NW radar? Really is bad today!

There is always anaprop over the Midlands on NW Radar. Very annoying.

Posted

the anaprop is there just to remind people what precip looks like over the midlands.

Posted

There is always anaprop over the Midlands on NW Radar. Very annoying.

Seems even worse than normal though today. Oh well, better than the Met Office radar.

Has anybody else seen the Met Office update for their outlook? Very underwhelming considering the mouthwatering runs we are seeing for next week.

Edit: I like that SnowTornado :cold:

Edited by nick2702

Posted

still freezing or below most areas around leics atm, and looking at the forecasts they expect it to drop back a little bit before the precip hits us later on, so even if we get upto 1-2c theres still a chance by the time it gets here it will be below freezing again. I just hope we dont get freezing rain. I think where the heaviest precip is, snow will be likely.

Hope your right mate , cause 850's ,thickness , due point , and wet bulb do not support Snow in Leicester tonight. Ground Temps make very little different as you can see this morning all it causes is Freezing rain .

Posted

Hope your right mate , cause 850's ,thickness , due point , and wet bulb do not support Snow in Leicester tonight. Ground Temps make very little different as you can see this morning all it causes is Freezing rain .

-3 850s and below zero ground temps will do the job... but like i said only under the heavy precip. id give us a 50/50 chance of some snow fall, glad its been brought forward though, staying uptil 3am wouldnt have happened. not certain enough of seeing snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Too warm here - 2.5 and a dp of 1 means we will see a lovely coating of rain I feel. Am hoping it misses us all together so that the frost/snow can remain as in the shade I don't think it will melt and I don't really want it washed away this close to Xmas!

Edited by Serendipity

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

the anaprop is there just to remind people what precip looks like over the midlands.

rofl.gif

Posted

Our Local paper (Express and Star) says we could have rain turning to snow by about 6pm tonight but ice will be a major problem. They say a few cm could fall.

Not going to say the snow bit is wrong but it could so easily go wrong! I reckon for a time ice will definately be a problem. We live on a hill but on a main road. Could be quite a few accidents if people arent careful.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Our Local paper (Express and Star) says we could have rain turning to snow by about 6pm tonight but ice will be a major problem. They say a few cm could fall.

Not going to say the snow bit is wrong but it could so easily go wrong! I reckon for a time ice will definately be a problem. We live on a hill but on a main road. Could be quite a few accidents if people arent careful.

The thing is last night's runs , and even the 00z's looked ok for snow , but the 6z has changed it's mind. Any newspapers will be going on yesterdays forecasts . Even the Meto have done a total turn around.

Posted

The models look rather interesting for the East Midlands possibly for xmas morning, 850hpa temps look ok giventhe depth of cold present and dew points look the right side of marginal, the only thing to notice is the GFS may be spreading the light precip a little too far west, as it tends to overdo the size of the precip field at times.

Still I'd not be too surprised to see some reports of light snow, obviously the NW part of the front is the place to be in this set-up, too far NW of course and you'll just be in the dry cold air.

Posted

I can see a nice, West Midlands sized gap in the band of rain/sleet/snow - wouldn't it just top off the cold spell if we went straight through that gap?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

In the sunshine this morning temp has risen to a high 1.8c @ 13:00. Now clouded over and fog is forming temp has fallen to 1.1c and dewpoint is -0.8c