Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Some of our worst snowfalls in Leicester have come from breakdown's that turn to rain at the end . If it gives 5-10 cm then there is a good chance a snow cover will be retained for Christmas day . I very much doubt you will have any problems though mate, Have been getting reports of deep snow cover in Stamford and I doubt tonight will melt it all as cold air digs back in behind , with GFS 6z now even suggesting snow on Christmas morning.

Yes its very dodgy here at the moment. The roads are covered in around 3inches of sheet ice due to the snow compacting.

As for tonight if the precip does turn to snow then N Cambs/Leicestershire could see a dumping.

Posted

Hasnt it been like that for a few runs now?:lol:

It got the intensity wrong for Saturday night here anyway. It showed just the one for us yet we were having very heavy snow for a time and much of the rest of it was moderate not light. Its all to play for!

I don't really think you can compare to Saturday Night blizzards as that came from the North , with tonight's band coming from the South , South West it has a different route to pass. I can see though 25mph Inland SE winds this should mean the West Mids get's something out of this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I don't really think you can compare to Saturday Night blizzards as that came from the North , with tonight's band coming from the South , South West it has a different route to pass. I can see though 25mph Inland SE winds this should mean the West Mids get's something out of this.

Im not comparing it to saturday night but just mentioing how the intensity came out different to what the charts projected. It could be right for tonight for all i know but it will probably change againby about a minute before something falls out of the sky! :lol:

Posted

Im not comparing it to saturday night but just mentioing how the intensity came out different to what the charts projected. It could be right for tonight for all i know but it will probably change againby about a minute before something falls out of the sky! :lol:

It always over does the intensity when the precip comes down over the pennines, it always dies out near our region then rintensifys further south befoe clearing away, does it time and time again. Only time it didnt recently was jan 2004 where it intensified in time for us to get a pasting.

Posted

There doesn't seem to have been any snow whatsoever on the Wrekin yet in this "cold snap"; admittedly 1cm dustings on top are hard to spot from here but it's looked green and brown throughout. The Long Mynd and Stiperstones appear to have a light covering, but the Long Mountain doesn't. Haven't been able to see the Berwyns or Clees from Shrewsbury recently- they've been obscured by the clouds that keep covering the S, N and W horizons.

They've had snow in Oswestry, we had sleet here yesterday for 30 seconds!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I know I should never take NMM & GFS ppn models as gospel, but it kinda gives me that sinking feeling...The ppn does turn to snow alright, unfortunately a tad too far north for the west midlands..it happens towards the peak district...still, who knows what may happen tonight....lamp-post watching tonight me thinks! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

as I wait patiently for the 10:38 on my computer to turn to 10:39 for the 06z........tick + tick +

Posted

Yes its very dodgy here at the moment. The roads are covered in around 3inches of sheet ice due to the snow compacting.

As for tonight if the precip does turn to snow then N Cambs/Leicestershire could see a dumping.

Dave any thoughts on Northampton for tonight. I have an outside party to attend tonight.

Posted

Some Pictures below I took yesterday on my way home . They are taken on the great central canal that runs from Loughborough , through Leicester and up to Lutterworth. These pics are taken between Leicester and Blaby .. around the Fosse Park sort of area. The Canal has Frozen over for miles.

post-2826-12615649574713_thumb.jpgpost-2826-12615652622413_thumb.jpgpost-2826-12615652941613_thumb.jpgpost-2826-12615653301713_thumb.jpg.JPG]post-2826-12615653659113_thumb.jpg.JPG]

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Just looking further ahead (I don't tonight will produce), the potential event on the 29th/30th could be special. If that were to come off, I think we'd all be climbing out of our bedroom windows to get outside as the front door would not open due to the weight and depth of the snow cover ! :help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Latest BBC Forecast shows rain for us now. :help:

Not surprised tbh.

Edit: There are some reports of sleet/snow in the SW thread.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

GFS 6z shows pure rain on there Precip type charts with only The far North of wales getting any Snow . Anything Further East is rain . So Shropshire , West Mids East Mids looking to miss out now.

Posted

GFS 6z shows pure rain on there Precip type charts with only The far North of wales getting any Snow . Anything Further East is rain . So Shropshire , West Mids East Mids looking to miss out now.

Some of us could be surprised later but in general this cold spell has been a Joke. For many around here they have seen nothing. The charts show eye candy for New Years again but i suspect it will downgrade as usual nearer the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

It was asking too much for this "event" to deliver. Conditions have never been favourable. Still, further opportunities to come.

Posted

as ive said on MOD, i dont think its worth getting too carried away with these reload scenarios on the models just yet. theres all this talk of severe snowstorms battering the country should it come off, and i know its all done lightheartedly, but i know the same scenarios were talked about a couple of weeks back, and nout came of it for here. its always worth keeping an open mind, and all this cold weather is making for some seasonal wintry weather outside, which is a million times better than atlantic domination. still though, by the looks, our 2cm snow cover will be washed away within 12 hours, leaving us with nout. oh well, hopefully better luck next time for the midlands eh. :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Meto has now removed all the weather warnings apart from the south coast... that's all folks!

Posted

Meto has now removed all the weather warnings apart from the south coast... that's all folks!

They were only for Ice anyway.

Posted

Simon at Weather Online is still insisting the showers will turn increasingly to snow as they move north. I think he might have to eat humble pie in the morning.

Posted

As i said before i had a feeling the heavy stuff would go East and West of us leaving us in a dry gap and it looks like this is going to happen still :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Haven't you guys had enough snow you greedy bunch :rolleyes:

I was in the West Midlands and there was a good 10 inches on the ground!!

Posted

I've had an interesting couple of days.

We went to London yesterday. We decided to go and stay at my in-laws on Monday night in Woodford Halse in Northamptonshire to break the journey. So we set off on Monday evening knowing it was snowing heavily around London but knowing we should get away with reaching Northamptonshire ok.

As we set off, looked like the south side of Stourbridge and Hagley had recieved a little more snow. As we headed along the M42 and onto the M40 everything was just green and it was then i realised that it could have been a lot worse in Stourbridge. As we got past Warwick services a few flakes of snow started to fall and it was fairly moderate by the time we turned off at Banbury. (although it always appears heavier than it is when you're driving through it.)

Arrived at Woodfood Halse where it was snowing lightly and there was already a few cm on the ground there.

Next morning, we set off back to the M40 to get to London and we were treated with a beautiful journey. Bright blue skies and there must have been several inches of snow around the High Wycombe turn off. Where we parked at East Finchley there was a lot of snow too.

The drive home last night was a bit dodgy. Very thick freezing fog in north west London and the M40 was quite scary in parts. Then past Banbury, the fog simply went away. Then it was back through the green patch of south M42 and back to a very icy and still snow covered Stourbridge.

So i'm pleased to have finally seen a decent amount of snow!

I am expecting rain tonight, but its back to Woodford Halse again tomorrow and i know those who live in the M42 corridor will disagree with me...but i would like a trouble free journey!

Posted

Haven't you guys had enough snow you greedy bunch :rolleyes:

I was in the West Midlands and there was a good 10 inches on the ground!!

Is this sarcasm? there has been 0cm here and at most 1cm in the West Midlands, been absolutely nothing, the worst cold spell ever.