Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 6

DR Hosking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

I have to laugh. The traffic up to town alomg London Road is all backed up. Obviously punters and shoppers have taken matters into their own hands and so the pavements are full of folk walking up to town. The scene resembles nothing less than one of those enforced WWII refugee marches across a snow-blasted tundra. The only thing missing is the stiff frozen arm of a corpse sticking out of a snowdrift :o

Looking at the radar we're in the clearance just now but surrounded by a comma of cloud to the north, the west and the south .. and the whole comma itself is moving due south. If it doesn't dissipate we might get another parting gift from Fife in an hour or so :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

prestwick incident :

"An aircraft has gone off the end of a runway at Prestwick Airport in the west of Scotland. Emergency services are on the way to the scene. Strathclyde Fire and Rescue have confirmed they have sent three appliances to the incident. It is understood the aircraft had been coming in to land when it overshot the runway. An eyewitness said it had come to rest partially on the grass. Police said there were not believed to be any injuries."

Edited by Calum

Posted

from bbc travel :

A1 East Lothian - Blocked northbound due to snow and jackknifed lorry between B1407 and Thistly Cross

prestwick incident :

"An aircraft has gone off the end of a runway at Prestwick Airport in the west of Scotland. Emergency services are on the way to the scene. Strathclyde Fire and Rescue have confirmed they have sent three appliances to the incident. It is understood the aircraft had been coming in to land when it overshot the runway. An eyewitness said it had come to rest partially on the grass. Police said there were not believed to be any injuries."

I bet there were a few hideous moments on board before they realised they were going to be ok. Unless it just rolled onto the grass slowly.

Posted

A1 between Dunbar and Edinburgh is now partially blocked due to snow , if they shut it i expect they'll divert them through here

It does look as if parts of NI and southern and central Scotland will see at least some snow overnight on Xmas Day into Boxing Day, how much it comes to is open to question though:

I meant to add this in too:

Looks quite nice with the front pushing into cold air :lol:

Ooops, looks ok for all of Scotland??

Posted

Just been out and cleared 3 inches of overnight heavy wet snow, think it must have latterly turned to sleet

It's now started again, but can confirm it started as rain, which then changed to Sleet then Snizzle now back to Snow - very marginal

Christmas card scene has now gone because the wet snow fell off the trees and spiders webs - and it's now onto the heavy wet stuff

depth now about 7 inches but more compacted

Temp 2.0 DP 1.8

Posted

Never thought I'd say this CMD but I don't care now :lol: Theres enough on the ground here already, a White Xmas (in all the ways that matters, snow on the ground) is pretty much in the bag for I hope many of us. It it sleets up on boxing day and beyond I won't care too much, the last 7 days have been fantastic and will stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the memorable spells of the past :lol:

Edit: snowing lightly again, northern remainder of the "comma" feature around Embra before it stops completely I'd think

It does look as if parts of NI and southern and central Scotland will see at least some snow overnight on Xmas Day into Boxing Day, how much it comes to is open to question though:

I meant to add this in too:

Looks quite nice with the front pushing into cold air :)

Ooops, looks ok for all of Scotland??

Edited by by-tor

Posted

As I was half expecting I woke to sleet this morning & temps around +2.4. Clouds coming & going but reasonably bright and no ppt for a while now. Currently sunny. Those lower 850s crept in overnight & spoiled the party somewhat. Hopefully this mild bit will clear away later.

Still, we still have quite a few inches on the ground but it means the roads are relatively clear for people to go do important pre-xmas stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Quite amazing scenes here, after good covering of snow last night till about 10pm. Woke up at 6.30am to heavy snowfall and drifting snow. Wondering if its wise to go out today, need to collect my Turkey!! but need to go to butchers in Midlothian?? Theres now a jacknifed lorry at Sherifhall roundabout so probably not worth trying just now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Those fax charts look a little dubious in terms of the 528 line - the latest gfs output shows the 528 line sitting over northern england on Boxing day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Had a nature call just back of 3am and thought I would check the radar( :lol: ) I noticed the blob was almost on top of us and stayed up to watch. Started flurrying here at 3.45am and was fully on by 4am. Within 5 minutes I couldn't see across the street. It was a total whiteout with falling and blowing snow. It stayed like that until 6am. Went back to bed till the dog woke me at 7am and when I let him out it had stopped. Got up again at 8.30am to it snowing heavily and all the dogs footprints covered. Meto were well wrong with this! Without going out and physically measuring, I would say we have had maybe 5". :(

Posted

Those fax charts look a little dubious in terms of the 528 line - the latest gfs output shows the 528 line sitting over northern england on Boxing day.

That is incredible. The 528 line never crosses the Scottish border Right up till the 7th Jan. Again a long way off but imagine a cold spell that long! A one point a 510 line nearly crosses scotland.

This must have more snow potential, but as they cant forcast precip 12hrs out we will have to wait and see.

All to play for!!yahoo.gifdrinks.gifdrinks.gif

Posted

I know its far off and will change but this would make travelling almost impossible for much off Scotland on New Years Day.

h850t850eu.png

loving this...please stay, please stay, please stay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

So what are peoples impressions of tomorrow and Fridays weather ? Seems like a distinct possibility of more snow from this low moving up from England on Xmas eve?!

Do you think that will matter too much as the precip is falling into very cold surface air??

Posted

loving this...please stay, please stay, please stay

Gosh cant believe that charts coming out just now - if that came off - well put paid to my travel plans on 1 Jan

Edit - light snow on here again

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

Tailing off now in Embra, clearnce visible to the north, and looks like that might be the last hurrah snow-wise today (fine !)Temperature also marginal at around (or probably just above) the 0 mark. No matter, what we have on the ground now, we keep for a few days yet at least !

Wife couldn't drive through to work today so we're just heading down the back-green to make a snowman with the 8 year-old and the other big kid (ie ME)

:help::cold::good::D:lol::doh::doh:

Posted

Well I don't know where to start really. If I could see the radar at midnight meant we would be hit by snow, and the models were predicting it, why were the Meto and BBC in denial - even on the 00h27 News 24 weather there was only talk of showers for 'Aberdeenshire'? Then this morning - 12 to 15cms in the centre of Edinburgh and the 07h55 BBC Breakfast Scottish forecast - sunshine for Edinburgh! And then it snows again for an hour an hour later. Questions need to be asked. Do they not have access to the radar - I might sent them the link to join netweather extra...

Looking very far ahead to the New Year, how about this from the ECM 00z run for Hogmanay??!!!

Didn't the GFS spew up something like that yesterday for around the same time??

This cold spell has grown legs and is just running and running. The far FI of the 06z GFS this morning is incredible. Cold and snowy almost all the way.

Edit: In fact the GFS is still spewing up a similar set-up, it's just a bit earlier. Some interesting model watching ahead.

Edited by CatchMyDrift