Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 6

DR Hosking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I can confirm that it is snowing pretty heavily in Strathmiglo!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Lived in the same street here in Leith for 17 years, heaviest snow we've had in all that time.

Not measured it yet but looks about 4 or 5 inches level snow. All the classic old-school snowfall indicators are on display. Its drifted and sculpted around parked cars and on roofs and chimneys. No pavement/gutter/street transition at all. Banked into peoples window ledges and up against their windows. And thats Leith - higher parts of town Liberton, Gilmerton and (gulp) Fairmilehead must just be plain off the scale this morning. Total Christmas card Edinburgh wide !

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Lived in the same street here in Leith for 17 years, heaviest snow we've had in all that time.

Not measured it yet but looks about 4 or 5 inches level snow. All the classic old-school snowfall indicators are on display. Its drifted and sculpted around parked cars and on roofs and chimneys. No pavement/gutter/street transition at all. Banked into peoples window ledges and up against their windows. And thats Leith - higher parts of town Liberton, Gilmerton and (gulp) Fairmilehead must just be plain off the scale this morning. Total Christmas card Edinburgh wide !

Similar story here really - some huge flakes falling now. the road, which was totally clear last night, has about 4 or 5 inches on it, and the bin looks a little like LadyPakal's profile picture!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Snow in Perth very fine and light, not going to get anything from it and it is moving South very quickly ~50 mph.

Clearance to the North now apparent.

Posted

Similar story here really - some huge flakes falling now. the road, which was totally clear last night, has about 4 or 5 inches on it, and the bin looks a little like LadyPakal's profile picture!

Haha i was juat thinking that about my bin. Just started snowing again here, little flakes but fingers crossed they get heavier. My daughter was meant to be going out shopping today, i just told her now way!

Posted

Me to petewallbash.gif

It appeared to drift south of Inverness on the radar......we caught the edge with a heavy couple of showers.

Been out to feed the birds and my Willow tree looks decorated this morning with loads of chaffinches...........pretty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Clear sky approaching from the NNE...Should be interesting as the temp. falls away. Freezing fog later, methinks?? :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

i think thtl be the last of the snow for perth untill afer new year:(

Perth seems to have had relatively little compared to elsewhere, I reckon 5cm total since Saturday lunchtime - that's mince!:clap:

Posted

Really need rid of that cloud sheet now or a thaw will start Temp. 0.9C, DP 0.6C.

Posted

Seems to be clearing from the North.

Little rain blowing through..........get rid of the cloud and hope for drop in temp

Posted

well the rain is here...confused as to why as the temp is -1oC, still we got another 2" last night so that brings it to about 10-11". anyone have any idea why the showers are coming from the north and its the leaving edge that has the warmer air?

oh yeah and i believ cairngorm mountain got 40cm's last night at car park level according to a spokesman on the radio

Edited by yeahbabyyeah

Posted

LS,

Whats your thoughts on the next 48hrs??

Snow showers to continue over the next few hours, gradually getting lighter and less frequent before stopping at around midday. After that, it looks very cold and generally dry, with no sign of snow melt today, overnight, tomorrow or even into christmas. Tomorrow might well be an ice day, with maybe a few showers moving into eastern areas after a fog across many parts of Scotland. Christmas may also be an ice day, though a band of precipitation will move into southwestern areas of Scotland towards the end of the day, perhaps bringing a spell of mainly snow to central, southern and eastern parts on Boxing Day morning.

Has anyone else noticed the convection in the Tay? The snow is still falling here despite the band of showers looking fairly weak initially. Another band looks set to head south after this, though it looks like it may weaken or even dissipate before reaching Fife.

LS

Posted

anyone know what the coldest daily max is in the UK? The reason i ask is that Tulloch bridge in the Highlands was -8.5c at 10am this morning and down to -15c at 4pm. Not sure what it was overnight but certainly well below freezing, a max of -8.5c must be close to a record for the UK? Any info Mr Data??

The coldest maximum is Braemar at -19º January 82, following the record overnight temperature of -27.2.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Wouldn't worry too much HS. Looks like most of in the east/central/north us are in the (ahem) warmer side of the feature and sitting at 0+,1,2 degrees ... its the price we pay for having snow at all, its often marginal one side or the other. Might be some minor thawing on house roofs, car roofs as the day goes on but the ground temperature will be resolutely zero or below I'd think just now ... its not going to take much of a hit at ground level. Even a snow-paranoid like me can see that 95% of what we all have around us is going precisely nowhere !

Really need rid of that cloud sheet now or a thaw will start Temp. 0.9C, DP 0.6C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

about 7-8cm of snow here in haddington and just had the slow plough down this road in the last 30 mins. Traffic on the A1 is down to about 40mph and it's shut down at dunbar. A68 is also part closed down at soutra and edinburgh airport is has got loads of delays , cancellations and arrivals are being diverted

EDIT 0931 : Plane off the runway at glasgow prestwick! , breaking news on sky

Edited by Calum

I'm amazed that this cold spell is still going, it has been a proper cold spell for a change. I am, however, a little miffed that after this happened on Sunday:

Then this happened yesterday:

Any more close shaves and I will be getting Gilette to sponsor my weather. At least I will only have to post about 800g of snow to Duncan, so it's not all bad :D

Well, the 06Z is on its way soon, will be interesting to see what it makes of the possible snow event on Xmas Day night.

Edited by CatchMyDrift