Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Lmao :D Yep I think we should change it to... 'Andy gets less snow than everyone else' thread :p (i'm kidding, just incase anyone wants to have a pop lol)

Feel sorry for poor Nick, I mean I like Northants but I also like Cannock, but which one is better? THERES ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT....

Yep, the only way is to nuke Leicester...what a dump that place is...oh hello Andy!

And didn't you have a White Christmas anyway?! (in the technical sense).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Yep, the only way is to nuke Leicester...what a dump that place is...oh hello Andy!

And didn't you have a White Christmas anyway?! (in the technical sense).

Hahaha watch it sunshine :D

Well... Yes we did, I stayed up till 3am on Christmas day and around 2am the rain turned to snow grains and it gave a sugar dusting by the time it finished which was there on Christmas morning so yes we did :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Lmao 8) Yep I think we should change it to... 'Andy gets less snow than everyone else' thread :p (i'm kidding, just incase anyone wants to have a pop lol)

Feel sorry for poor Nick, I mean I like Northants but I also like Cannock, but which one is better? THERES ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT....

what about poor old AJ, Nick had 1cm more than me!

:D ..in fact, crying doesnt sum it up...this does...goodbye all 8)

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

18Z ppl, do we want low further south or north? what do you reckon? i still think at the moment the south west midlands will be bulls eye, so me, nick and aj need it further north maybe?

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted

what about poor old AJ, Nick had 1cm more than me!

8) ..in fact, crying doesnt sum it up...this does...goodbye all :D

8)

:p

you lucky lot...I have seen so far is a dusting :D

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Trying hard not to but once again I can feel the hope build for loads and loads of snow next week. Last time we got a dusting that didn't even cover the pavements and a lot of ice in the drveway. What do you think, is it worth hoping for the best or should we in Leicester prepare for disappointment again?

Edited by katiew

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

18Z ppl, do we want low further south or north? what do you reckon? i still think at the moment the south west midlands will be bulls eye, so me, nick and aj need it further north maybe?

gfs (next gen) has only updated to T+30...give us a chance Mark!

Posted

Well the boffins in the model thread say the further south the better...so what do we want? A very good chance of a big snow event with poor long term prospects or no snow event with good long term prospects nationally, but not guaranteed decent snow here? Difficult choice...glad we don't have to make it!

Edited by nick2702

Posted

:p

you lucky lot...I have seen so far is a dusting :D

lol Pat, and all that dusting was from the 'midlands snow debate thread' nuclear fallout!....lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Well the boffins in the model thread say the further south the better...so what do we want? A very good chance of a big snow event with poor long term prospects or no snow event with good long term prospects nationally, but not guaranteed decent snow here? Difficult choice...glad we don't have to make it!

go with first choice I think, no snow with good 'long term' prospects, long term is FI so not guaranteed a decent cold spell,

Posted

I prefer quantum physics mate, and the 'Heisenberg Uncertainy' principle...namely, somewhere, either here, or in a parallel universe, the midlands gets 4ft of the white stuff on wednesday night! :p ...I'll fetch me coat!

Posted

lol Pat, and all that dusting was from the 'midlands snow debate thread' nuclear fallout!....lol

lol...what made me laugh last week was the Met had warning's in many places.

The Glos Midland's northwards was the least Warnned spot throughout...

I think and hope this is the time for us in the West and the Midland's to be envy of all other countie's this comming week..

for snow Armagadeon

roll-on global cooling

:drinks:

Posted

How much are we potentially in for?

2ft?....gimme an 'R'...gimme a 'A'...gimme a 'M'...gimme a 'P'...and what have you got???....GFS 18z, North & East of Shrewsbury & Telford!...lol......

seriously, there is potential for a lot of snow, but on the 18z GFS run, uppers are very, very marginal...I honestly believe it's more a case of radar watching and lamp-post watching on the day.... wed-friday...2 inches of rain or a dumping of snow?...take your pick :drinks:

Posted

2ft?....gimme an 'R'...gimme a 'A'...gimme a 'M'...gimme a 'P'...and what have you got???....GFS 18z, North & East of Shrewsbury & Telford!...lol......

seriously, there is potential for a lot of snow, but on the 18z GFS run, uppers are very, very marginal...I honestly believe it's more a case of radar watching and lamp-post watching on the day.... wed-friday...2 inches of rain or a dumping of snow?...take your pick :drinks:

It could be a case of Cannock getting rain and higher ground around Stafford getting snow, it will be such a fine north-south divide. Altitude will once again be a huge factor.

Posted

It could be a case of Cannock getting rain and higher ground around Stafford getting snow, it will be such a fine north-south divide. Altitude will once again be a huge factor.

You'd be in good shape in Norton Canes Nick!..you've got advantage in elevation...marks in Wildwood & I'm 20 metres lower in Penkridge...If I report sleet tuesday night, then you're in for a snowfest! :drinks:

Posted

You'd be in good shape in Norton Canes Nick!..you've got advantage in elevation...marks in Wildwood & I'm 20 metres lower in Penkridge...If I report sleet tuesday night, then you're in for a snowfest! :lol:

The top of my road is 150m :drinks:

I am also quite lucky to be surrounded by areas that are 200m+, literally a 1 min drive away. With just 5 mins away from the highest point in Cannock Chase.

But in these situations every metre counts. You never know, the top of your house could be the snowline 8)

Posted

Oh dear- total rain fest for the Midlands on the 18z. I do think some have been over ramping this event so perhaps a reality check was overdue.

Now let's hope for a better latter half of the run. :drinks:

The snowline does eventually drop. But by the time that happens the heaviest precip is over towards the eastern half of the Midlands:

http://209.197.11.116/c9s4a5k3/cds/gfsimages/gfs.20091226/18/120/ukprec.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=0f36092b440084014450845195958f0e44508486&dopsig=4d5850ba9dd99414df4bde29ade7c85e

Posted

Oh dear- total rain fest for the Midlands on the 18z. I do think some have been over ramping this event so perhaps a reality check was overdue.

Now let's hope for a better latter half of the run. :mellow:

I beg to differ :) ...are you referring to GFS??....One of the milder runs....-2 to -6 uppers, sleet/snow on predicted precip?....some elevation?... 1-2 cm on last wedenesday, and gfs (live) NW radar was showing rainfall!

You're right, it may be a cold rain, but call it a hunch or intuition, (and I dont like the cold) I think its snow, but, if incorrect, I'll hold my hand up :)

Posted

I beg to differ :mellow: ...are you referring to GFS??....One of the milder runs....-2 to -6 uppers, sleet/snow on predicted precip?....some elevation?... 1-2 cm on last wedenesday, and gfs (live) NW radar was showing rainfall!

You're right, it may be a cold rain, but call it a hunch or intuition, (and I dont like the cold) I think its snow, but, if incorrect, I'll hold my hand up :)

There's not even much precip around for your location compared to the 12z, certainly nothing approaching the 18 inches you spoke of. But at least until Wednesday; wrong side of marginal. Thursday onwards conditions look more conducive for snow but the main precip is elsewhere.

Definitely a downgrade in my opinion. But interesting to read your views. :)

Posted

There's not even much precip around for your location compared to the 12z, certainly nothing approaching the 18 inches you spoke of. But at least until Wednesday; wrong side of marginal. Thursday onwards conditions look more conducive for snow but the main precip is elsewhere.

Definitely a downgrade in my opinion. But interesting to read your views. :mellow:

and our posts in themselves show how fickle the predicted weather is :)

Its absolutley fascinating watching the models, the ebbs & flows, from runs to runs........snow? sleet? rain?...how the track of an area of slightly lower atmospheric pressure can make such a huge difference in local weather! :)

Posted

Well from a very selfish point of view, i need rain on Wednesday as that is the day i'm driving back from Lowestoft in Suffolk. My heart still wants snow though!

From Thursday onwards anything could happen. I'm going to take it one event at a time. We haven't done as well as others for snow in the cold spell we've had so far. I think things are looking promising, maybe not for a big snow event next week but for something interesting further down the line.

Lets talk again on Wednesday evening and see where we are at!