Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

no kidding ....just did a quick calculation, based on pure snowfall (no rain) using 12z GFS local 16 day snow risk forecast, and...it would add up to an 18 inch accumulation over a 48 hour period..Quite astonishing...subject to potential change of course (just to temper this obscenley outrageous RRRAAAAMMMMP.... :lol: )

:lol:

Thats not much at all... :good:

LOL. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

no kidding ....just did a quick calculation, based on pure snowfall (no rain) using 12z GFS local 16 day snow risk forecast, and...it would add up to an 18 inch accumulation over a 48 hour period..Quite astonishing...subject to potential change of course (just to temper this obscenley outrageous RRRAAAAMMMMP.... :p )

Can we bank the 12z please :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

12Z things look better, our meto warning still there, I still have a bit of slush and ice, quite slippy out there, been sunny, (wanted it sunny today as too mild for snow), tomorrow I feel rain much of the day but roll on monday, need clear skies to cool things down ready for tuesday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Merry Christmas all....sorry I'm late saying it, to tired to come on yesterday after all that cooking and eating and hic! Hope santa brought you all you asked for.

It was great to see your posts with the hope of snow on the way, as you know we didn't get any snow that stuck here in hinckley. Do you really think it going to come off and not be a wash out?

Edited by chapmanraven

Posted

12Z things look better, our meto warning still there, I still have a bit of slush and ice, quite slippy out there, been sunny, (wanted it sunny today as too mild for snow), tomorrow I feel rain much of the day but roll on monday, need clear skies to cool things down ready for tuesday

Reckon this could be the big event we have been waiting for Mark?

Posted

Reckon this could be the big event we have been waiting for Mark?

hopefully, the charts seem to have a Feb 7-10 2007 look developing, which would be fantastic, but still FI so lets hope the cold remains longer than Feb 07, we had 2 channel lows on 8th-9th, then the Atlantic rolled in on the 10th

Posted

So? If we want it to happen it's not going to make ANY difference to what happens. I don't see why you have such a problem with it, I have a right to an opinion don't I? The laws of physics don't take opinions into account.

If the prolonged cold spell happens I won't be disappointed, but it doesn't guarantee a big snowfall for me, my location isn't exactly the best in the world for snow as we saw last week. People who live near me also share the same view.

And the point about having one big snow event with the rest mild for every winter in the past 18 years, I disagree. The only winter I can remember like that was 2006/07, and I missed half of the Feb one anyway. The winters I remember had moderate falls (an inch or 2 at best) surrounded by mild.

As Northants_Snow has said last week all you did was whinge and moan about how your area missed out on the snow.(sorry but it happens)

Now, you want to trade in 1 heavy snowfall day (not yet guaranteed) for a 2 or 3 week bitter winter weather??

Sorry to sound dis-respectful, but i've been through 2-3 weeks of bitter winter weather, and i dont think you could cope with it.

As you clearly say ..the winters you remember had 2-3 inches of snow.. try having 2-3 feet of snow and -15 to-20 nights with day temps -3 -5

not for 1 day but 21 days.

You get sick of it.

Posted

As Northants_Snow has said last week all you did was whinge and moan about how your area missed out on the snow.(sorry but it happens)

Now, you want to trade in 1 heavy snowfall day (not yet guaranteed) for a 2 or 3 week bitter winter weather??

Sorry to sound dis-respectful, but i've been through 2-3 weeks of bitter winter weather, and i dont think you could cope with it.

As you clearly say ..the winters you remember had 2-3 inches of snow.. try having 2-3 feet of snow and -15 to-20 nights with day temps -3 -5

You get sick of it.

You have got the wrong person. I am the one who prefers the big snow event to the 2-3 week bitter spell.

Anyway, I'm not going to bother with this anymore because I find it pathetic and childish that I should have to justify my weather preferences, and the attitude of "if it isn't to everyone's liking it's not acceptable" rubbish.

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

You get sick of it.

From a purely selfish point of view, I'd gladly trade 2-3 weeks of cold, icy weather for one snowfest, simply because my business depends on decent weather....ice on the ground and snow for a sustained spell would put me out of business!

as for the rest of your post, Nick will fight his own battles, but I kinda agree with him, our little segment of the midlands relies on battleground situations for snow, showery easterly regimes simply dont cut the mustard I'm afraid :lol:

Posted

I am the one who prefers the big snow event to the 2-3 week bitter sp

Why though?

It will be washed away within 24 hours?

Like i said Nick, i'm not being dis-respectful to you, just i'm confused why you'd want 1 heavy 6+ inches rather than 2-3 week of bitter cold weather with more snowfall in them 2-3 weeks.

Posted

as for the rest of your post, Nick will fight his own battles, but I kinda agree with him, our little segment of the midlands relies on battleground situations for snow, showery easterly regimes simply dont cut the mustard I'm afraid ;)

This is my whole point AJ, the West/Central Midlands very rarely do well from "showery" set ups. We have to rely on the riskier battleground situations. But when it goes right the risk is well worth it as it can provide more snow than any bunch of showers/troughs ever could. Tues/Wed/Thurs for example could be one of those.

Met Office have warnings out for both Tues and Wed, saying it will die out gradually during Wednesday, so it is still looking good. The Countryfile forecast tomorrow will be very interesting (how many times have we said that the past few weeks :lol: )

Posted

It would still be possible though to have lots of snow, then stay cold for 2 weeks, thats what Im hoping for, snow from tues-wed low, then remaining cold with the chance of more frontal snow

showery setups do deliver but we need the wind perfect, either straight E or NNW, any other direction useless, especially Arctic westerlies

Posted

Why though?

It will be washed away within 24 hours?

Like i said Nick, i'm not being dis-respectful to you, just i'm confused why you'd want 1 heavy 6+ inches rather than 2-3 week of bitter cold weather with more snowfall in them 2-3 weeks.

Because the prolonged 2-3 week cold spells typically don't favour my area, and we seem to have to wait for absolutely ages for anything half decent. I love cold, but if I had the oppurtunity for one big snowfall in a few days time, or a prolonged COLD (not necessarily snowy) spell, the big snow event would win hands down everytime.

Mark's post above sums it up. In an ideal world I would have both. But if I had to choose it would be the Tues/Wed/Thurs event.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

From a purely selfish point of view, I'd gladly trade 2-3 weeks of cold, icy weather for one snowfest, simply because my business depends on decent weather....ice on the ground and snow for a sustained spell would put me out of business!

as for the rest of your post, Nick will fight his own battles, but I kinda agree with him, our little segment of the midlands relies on battleground situations for snow, showery easterly regimes simply dont cut the mustard I'm afraid smile.gif

I drive for a living.

from Northampton to all over the UK. so winter is my enemy but i get on with it.

Agreed your part of the Mids is not best situated from a Easterly, but things can change it's not impossible for your region to get heavy snow from the East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I drive for a living.

from Northampton to all over the UK. so winter is my enemy but i get on with it.

Agreed your part of the Mids is not best situated from a Easterly, but things can change it's not impossible for your region to get heavy snow from the East.

hmm...hope you're not implying that I dont? :whistling: .....anyhoos, the major problem that the Stafford/Cannock area have from easterlies lies simply in the geography...The Peak District zap the strength of northerly/NE'ly air flows, and the higher ground to the east of Brum/Coventry knocks the stuffing out of straight easterlies (driving for a living, you'll know that from J3 to J1 M6, theres a gradual but long climb)

Posted

hmm...hope you're not implying that I dont? :whistling: .....anyhoos, the major problem that the Stafford/Cannock area have from easterlies lies simply in the geography...The Peak District zap the strength of northerly/NE'ly air flows, and the higher ground to the east of Brum/Coventry knocks the stuffing out of straight easterlies (driving for a living, you'll know that from J3 to J1 M6, theres a gradual but long climb)

well ive had lots of snow off convective easterlies most of the time they occur, but NNW is probably our best direction, but no good if E or NNW just topples

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted

well ive had lots of snow off convective easterlies most of the time they occur, but NNW is probably our best direction, but no good if E or NNW just topples

well, you've done well Mark.....Admittedly I've only lived in Penkridge for 3 years, but in those 3 years, its been pants for easterlies....mind you, for me, snow is a serious luxury...I spent my 1st 18 years in Torbay, Devon...Snow there is like 'rocking horse sh**'...lol

Posted

hmm...hope you're not implying that I dont? wink.gif .....anyhoos, the major problem that the Stafford/Cannock area have from easterlies lies simply in the geography...The Peak District zap the strength of northerly/NE'ly air flows, and the higher ground to the east of Brum/Coventry knocks the stuffing out of straight easterlies (driving for a living, you'll know that from J3 to J1 M6, theres a gradual but long climb)

And from J15 of the M1 to junction 18 M61 Bolton is even a bigger climb, but northants has smashed my old town in feb and this December cold spell.

so anything is possiblebiggrin.gif

Posted

well, you've done well Mark.....Admittedly I've only lived in Penkridge for 3 years, but in those 3 years, its been pants for easterlies....mind you, for me, snow is a serious luxury...I spent my 1st 18 years in Torbay, Devon...Snow there is like 'rocking horse sh**'...lol

Feb 2005 the last time, frequent snow showers 21-23rd, but due to time of year, high sun/warmth etc was thawing inbetween showers

Posted

Roads were CHAOS this morning.

Was in the car with the family and everything was fine at home other than a few patches of Ice then in Ironbridge the car suddenly out of nowhere skidded majorly and the roads were so icy it was impossible to drive or walk in, the temperature in the valleys of Ironbridge struggled to around 3-4c today which is strange considering 150 meters higher at home its been 6.2c.

Posted

Oh dear, shall we re-name this thread the 'lets gang up on Nick' thread :lol:

Nope, now you're back, its the official 'Andy gets no-snow thread'...you know it makes sense! :rofl: :lol:

Posted

Oh dear, shall we re-name this thread the 'lets gang up on Nick' thread :lol:

They beat me with sticks...:rofl:

I think AJ's suggestion is better :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Lmao :D Yep I think we should change it to... 'Andy gets less snow than everyone else' thread :p (i'm kidding, just incase anyone wants to have a pop lol)

Feel sorry for poor Nick, I mean I like Northants but I also like Cannock, but which one is better? THERES ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT....