Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Met office have issued warnings for heavy snow on tuesday for our region, they never usually do that this far out so must be serious, maybe I'll get some snow after all :whistling:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Met office have issued warnings for heavy snow on tuesday for our region, they never usually do that this far out so must be serious, maybe I'll get some snow after all :)

http://www.metoffice...ings.html?day=5

If this comes off then there will be A LOT of snow. None of this 2-5cm rubbish, not even 2-5 inches, some lucky (or unlucky) places could even reach the magic 1 foot mark.

Posted

If this comes off then there will be A LOT of snow. None of this 2-5cm rubbish, not even 2-5 inches, some lucky (or unlucky) places could even reach the magic 1 foot mark.

if this comes off any snow for coventry? if so wld it be heavy?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Indeed, most likely somewhere in South Wales, Hereford/Worcester, over towards Northamptonshire perhaps. Could still all change. However this sounds like quite a massive event compared to what were used to e.g the 2-5cm junk! :)

Posted

if this comes off any snow for coventry? if so wld it be heavy?

Too early to tell at the moment, but the areas that will probably get the hardest hit are the central and south Midlands, so yes, Coventry could get a pasting.

5 days out though so everything could change.

Indeed, most likely somewhere in South Wales, Hereford/Worcester, over towards Northamptonshire perhaps. Could still all change. However this sounds like quite a massive event compared to what were used to e.g the 2-5cm junk! :)

Or the 2-5cm which turns out to be 0.2cm-0.5cm.....

Posted

Too early to tell at the moment, but the areas that will probably get the hardest hit are the central and south Midlands, so yes, Coventry could get a pasting.

wow hope it comes off all we had in coventry in this cold spell is 1cm of snow!

but heres hoping we do get a pasting!rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Or the 2-5cm which turns out to be 0.2cm-0.5cm.....

Too true or the 2-5cm which turns out to be NOTHING! :)

Posted

I think S.Midlands must be feeling very confident right now based on the output, they should be far enough north to keep the cold air and probably far enough south that even if the front doesn't relaly push in as well as some of the models are expecting they should get something from it.

Typically the models will overdo the northern motion of fronts, however even the first one struggles somewhat the second one that comes in does seem to have quite a bit more forcing in it.

Posted

Any chance of that band over Wales producing some white stuff here tonight? My temps and dew points are heading below freezing, certainly possible!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Any chance of that band over Wales producing some white stuff here tonight? My temps and dew points are heading below freezing, certainly possible!

I wouldn't have thought so. Upper level temps are unfavourable in the midlands. Maybe some freezing rain.

Posted

GFS defanitly got something brewing for next week. I don't buy it yet though, it's T150, still F.I for me.

prectypeuktopo.png

Hopefully. if it happens, we could fill in that nasty green gap on the snowcover maps that has plagued us this cold spell thus far.

I wouldn't have thought so. Upper level temps are unfavourable in the midlands. Maybe some freezing rain.

Last night we had freezing rain and today , when taking the dog a walk over the park, everything was coated in a 1/2" layer of sheet ice, total nightmre to try and walk over.

We could do with some rain, if only to wash that lethal stuff away.

Posted

The GFS 12z is an example of what can happen to our potential snow events. So much agreement and consecutive runs of promise, but it usually goes tits up at some point. Still, let's hope the GFS is suffering from a lack of data. As it stands, rain all the way...

lol you're wrong supercell there was never total agreement of snow for next tuesday, yesterday morning for example GFS 00Z was showing tropical temps for the south midlands.

Anyways its a nowcasting event as it always was going to be, if you are writing off snow 4 to 5 days before the event then you are very foolish indeed, it could turn to snow on wednesday or even tuesday you just never know until the actual event.

Mild spell bah what mild spell, Nice and cold day again with a high of 4C now just 1C, what a letdown of a mild spell, i mean one day with average values tomorrow then dropping off again, winter is over for mild weather fans that is :)

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgiaktgraph?ART=karte&LANG=en&JJ=2009&MM=12&TT=25&TIME=1630&TYP=temperatur&KEY=MID&TIME=1261760818

Posted

lol you're wrong supercell there was never total agreement of snow for next tuesday, yesterday morning for example GFS 00Z was showing tropical temps for the south midlands.

Anyways its a nowcasting event as it always was going to be, if you are writing off snow 4 to 5 days before the event then you are very foolish indeed, it could turn to snow on wednesday or even tuesday you just never know until the actual event.

Mild spell bah what mild spell, Nice and cold day again with a high of 4C now just 1C, what a letdown of a mild spell, i mean one day with average values tomorrow then dropping off again, winter is over for mild weather fans that is biggrin.gif

http://www.weatheron...TIME=1261760818

Fair enough. The 12z reminded me of previous years of seeing promising events fall apart. This unleashed the cynic inside me. There is still much promise on offer for us all.

Posted

oh dear heavy rain forecast for midlands on tuesday on net weather and TWOcc_confused.gif

That's because, for the moment at least, the GFS + UKMO have changed their tune.

Posted

The trend has still been for the LOW to be like what the 06z was showing. I bet its all different by the 18z. Some are getting way too fussed over 1 run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

oh dear heavy rain forecast for midlands on tuesday on net weather and TWOcc_confused.gif

TWO true I say :lol:

We know we never get good snow in the Midlands, forget about next weeks event, that's not gunna happen but it looked nice on the 06z at least.

Posted

TWO true I say :lol:

We know we never get good snow in the Midlands, forget about next weeks event, that's not gunna happen but it looked nice on the 06z at least.

Come on Andy, that's a daft thing to say, it's 4/5 days away!

Posted

This is the Midlands mate, you should know better :lol:

Well the ECM will show that I do know better :D

Posted

TWO true I say laugh.gif

lol that got the luaghter goingblum.gif

Posted

I think some people in this midlands thread need to start calming down. one poor run is not the end of the world.

Lets not forget ,the other week some models was showing a downgrade on this weeks wintry weather, agreed some people in the mids saw no or very little snow, but it was still very cold.

If these models do come true then i will see snowfall I've not seen in over 30 years.

30 +cm (not for all us midlanders, but someone will strike it lucky)is something the youngsters on this board could only have dreamt about.