Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

So have the BBC, Met or anyone else actually named any places that might get snow tonight? Ive seen various charts and stuff but no forecasts for anywhere specific that show snow.

No, but From 3:00 am seems the BBC have this above us.

Click on the map at the bottom of the page from the link.

http://news.bbc.co.u...st/345?area=NN2

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted

No, but From 3:00 am seems the BBC have this above us.

Click on the map at the bottom of the page from the link.

http://news.bbc.co.u...st/345?area=NN2

Ta very much, if I scroll around on that map it seems I am about 2 miles too far west to get this 3am fun, which leaves me with questions about where the precipitation is coming from, whether my location will be too warm, etc. I will probably get up in the middle of the night to review the situation.

Posted

Snow or rain band, whatever it turns out to be later is just starting to take shape now. Heres hoping for something decent for a change, a white xmas would make up for no snow on the ground since this cold spell started.

Posted

PS. Any tips for where I can look if I want to geek out by seeing old charts of snow events I have lodged in my memory from the 1990-1996 period? For a starter, the December 1990 (I think) event that left me snowed in in Nuneaton with a battery radio for company. Doesnt even have to be charts, can just be anectodes or descriptions of the event and what weather setup caused it.

Have a lookski here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

18Z looks crappy for next week, dry for north midlands, low has tracked south, snow for south, but FI still, cold seems to move in earlier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

18Z looks crappy for next week, dry for north midlands, low has tracked south, snow for south, but FI still, cold seems to move in earlier

Much of the Midlands would still get snow if anything probably all would nearly. Theres plenty of time for change yet! Patience!

Posted

precip band that might give snow tonight is interesting to watch on nw radar, just appears out of nowhere, getting bigger and more intense every 5 minutes atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

precip band that might give snow tonight is interesting to watch on nw radar, just appears out of nowhere, getting bigger and more intense every 5 minutes atm.

Wel i can only watch updates evey half hour as i havent got extra , but i can see the developments , could be interesting for central an eastern mids tonight , the ones that are only picked up hours b4 an event are oftern the best ! Just need them to turn to snow cause didnt you get some rain from it ???????

Posted

i had rain at 7pm, hopefully as it intensifys later it will be slightly colder, which might make a difference.

Posted

Which band are you looking at?

the one over the mids now or the one coming up from the SE.

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted

the 1 over the mids now, look at www.raintoday.co.uk if you dont have netweathers radar. every 5mins its looking better. We just need it to be snow not rain.

Posted

the 1 over the mids now, look at www.raintoday.co.uk if you dont have netweathers radar. every 5mins its looking better. We just need it to be snow not rain.

that will be well gone by 3am.

it's this one that could gives us some sleety snow.

the precip band coming up from the SE.

post-9498-12616943254313_thumb.png

Posted

www.wetterzentrale.de then click on kartenarchiv ab 1948

Ta very much, interesting stuff. Ive been trying to track down a lot of snow we had when I was in my teenage years that caused lengthy power cuts and seemed to last a while, I thought it was the December 1990 event but now Im not so sure, as Ive just remembered that the Dec 1990 event was one snow event I hated because I was supposed to be going to a computer show in London and I couldnt go because the trains were cancelled. I thought the event where I was without power for days was a separate incident, but I suppose it could have been the same one, anybody recall any other midlands snow candidates in the 1986-1990 timeframe which featured lengthy power cuts in some areas?

Back to the present I am about to look at the radar, although I probably shouldnt be spending this evening being a snow hoper, might watch that grumpy tv program to get me ready for the inevitable disappointment.

Posted

that will be well gone by 3am.

it's this one that could gives us some sleety snow.

the precip band coming up from the SE.

dont think it is personally we will see though. The band in the south east wont come anywhere near us, moving away south east if anything.

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Drizzling ever so slightly here at the moment.

Posted

dont think it is personally we will see though. The band in the south east wont come anywhere near us, moving away south east if anything.

No your right the band in the SE won't come anywhere near us.

Interesting looking at that band intensify on the 22.30 radar. I may hang around for a little while!

Posted

Drizzling ever so slightly here at the moment.

Cold rain/drizzle in SE Leicestershire. Does seem to be getting colder so may just meet the shock BBC forecast. If that comes off we'll have hand it to the Beeb for their White Christmas ramping earlier!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

This ppn developing . . . Am i right in saying that this could be clast as a streamer the way its coming from the north sea and continues in the same area ?? I just need it to track/grow 20 miles to its west , living in warickshire i am in the forecast area so im hopefull .

Posted

Sorry, i do apologise.

Seems the xmas eve wee drink is affecting my judgment.

Posted

Much of the Midlands would still get snow if anything probably all would nearly. Theres plenty of time for change yet! Patience!

True. That low would yield a large dumping for some in the south, but might well yield a few inches in this region too. Too early anyway to prog the exact location of the snowfest.

Fairly surreal here... It's raining moderately and we are in fairly thick fog. Like being up a mountain. 0.7C

Good post. Forgot to mention that it is very foggy here too in the cold rain. very little snow melt again on the remaining lying gear. could it do the business?

Posted

True. That low would yield a large dumping for some in the south, but might well yield a few inches in this region too. Too early anyway to prog the exact location of the snowfest.

Yep we need a few more days for the track to ne decided yet though i think overall Midlands/Wales could get it pretty bad and maybe some parts of the South later. :lol:

I shall see what it looks like by Sunday.

Merry Christmas all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

That band in the South East will miss by about 150 miles lol. It's the precip over the Midlands now which is developing out of nowhere which is going to be the interesting one. I didn't think we had any chance of snow tonight but my mum told me that on BBC weather it said snow for Leicestershire around midnight and I was like huh??? Came online and checked the radar and temperatures and can see why, it's very borderline at the moment, 1.5c here with a dew of -1c but all thats falling is light rain and it's misty outside. I'd be surprised if this turned to snow, it doesen't feel cold enough.