Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

In my boredom tonight, I have just thought of something... Why is a rain and snow mix called sleet? Why didn't they just call it snain? :D

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

I am currently in the middle of the heaviest ppn, which is falling as quite heavy rain unfortunately and I am hoping that it doesnt melt the snow that has been lying for days now. It would be nice to have snow lying on xmas day, even better if this rain turned to snow tonight.

Ive been keeping an eye on the radar for a while, and there's some heavy PPN about 15 miles to my east.I'd rather it stay there, as i want the snow thats currently lying to stay there for as long as possible :D

Posted

Looks like that heavy ppn is going to head SE over the wash.

Missing peterborough whistling.gif

Hope it does and leaves my snow cover alone. :D

Looking at the radar and I bet at midnight this will expand even further.

Posted

LOL Like that one Andy, for the 3 day forecast i try and do for my site - I might just include that in the near future!

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

In my boredom tonight, I have just thought of something... Why is a rain and snow mix called sleet? Why didn't they just call it snain? laugh.gif

No idea, but sleet over in the US is different to the sleet we see here !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

In my boredom tonight, I have just thought of something... Why is a rain and snow mix called sleet? Why didn't they just call it snain? :D

its easy mate...last night was a perfect example...in leicester, snow & rain mix is called 'rain'...everywhere else, its called 'we got snow and you didnt'.....lol

Posted

Hope it does and leaves my snow cover alone. :lol:

Looking at the radar and I bet at midnight this will expand even further.

Last nights sleet did for a lot of our snow. So I don't care now... bloody awful trying to walk into town today. Very surprised I didn't go on my backside. At best about 1-2 inches left and not exclusively either. Exposed all the entombed dog poo I need to clean up, a bit like finding the mummified remains of arctic explorers.

Posted

The dewpoint has now fallen from -0C to -1C, hopefully this could have an effect soon.

Do we think this could be on?

Posted

Looks very interesting for the 29-30th in the Midlands, much depends on exactly where the LP tracks but odds are the Midlands is in the main threat zone for now. Anywhere on the northern edge of the first front looks likely to get some decent snowfall. My punt would be the South-West Midlands could be in the bullseye....but things could well adjust in a big way yet...

Posted

Derbyshire and Notts Border here, No Snow yet but radar shows sleet, snow and rain in my area

Chris

Anybody from Nottingham online?

looks like they have had 8-4 mm of precip over there heads for what seems like hours laugh.gif

Edited by chrisb1357

Posted

Looks very interesting for the 29-30th in the Midlands, much depends on exactly where the LP tracks but odds are the Midlands is in the main threat zone for now. Anywhere on the northern edge of the first front looks likely to get some decent snowfall. My punt would be the South-West Midlands could be in the bullseye....but things could well adjust in a big way yet...

And it pivots around Leicester and moves away without dropping a flake... Haha just kidding :lol:

Merry Christmassss everyooooooneeeeeeeee

Posted

Anybody from Nottingham online?

looks like they have had 8-4 mm of precip over there heads for what seems like hours laugh.gif

Don't make me feel any worse for missing out on the snow I could have had up at uni in Nottingham than I already do... nonono.gif

Posted

Well just looked out and few flakes of snow are stating to fall here on the edge. NW Radar shows pink ove rmy location

Chris

Posted

Hmmmm things may get interesting here soon, PPN around, temp 0.6c dew point -1.8c but nothing doing? Grrrr

I'm in mansfield notts and we have has moderate snow now for 30mins, sticking everywhere.

Posted

I'm in mansfield notts and we have has moderate snow now for 30mins, sticking everywhere.

Seriously??? Flippin eck, radar suggests you could see that for about 30-60 minutes or more, you could get very lucky with that.

Posted

yep, can't believe it, it's topping up the snow that was left from earlier, roads are turning white right now. An official white christmas here!!!!

Any coming our way Andy? Looks to be pivoting from the looks of my cheap radar app. Should fall as snow without too much problem now it's much colder outside than earlier