Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion.

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Still looking good for Mid Wales and parts of SE Wales. Really the further inland you go the chances of some good snowfall increase.

Going to keep an eye on things to see whether its worth taking a trip up the hills tomorrow 250m+ of course if the low comes to far North then even higher locations in the South will be ruled out.

Posted

Thats quiet a racist comment?

certainly is! i totally agree, english just getting jealous now! LOL

Are sheep actually a race? :cold:

obviously english intelligence, dont even know what a sheep is!!! LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Now you listen here :cold: I have family who live in the land of silly road signs a.k.a Aberdare. I go there a few times a year and I may actually be moving there full time in a few months so you guys will have to put up with another Englishman in your land of silly road signs :p

Posted

now now fellas, let's not let this thread descend into namecalling, eh?

Posted

Expect more especially from midlands northwards,Exciting night ahead waiting for heavier stuff around dawn good luck all.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Temperture and dew droping here now back down to 0.5c from 0.9c in the last 10minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Are sheep actually a race? :unsure:

course they are, they're Eweropean :clap: :lol:

woody

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Hmmm why aren't these temps dropping here? grrrr, still 3.2c, not happy about that, cause it means it wont snow with those temps normally. With these temps staying around this im not sure we will actually get any snow here, atleast not tonight or in the morning.

Posted

Hmmm why aren't these temps dropping here? grrrr, still 3.2c, not happy about that, cause it means it wont snow with those temps normally. With these temps staying around this im not sure we will actually get any snow here, atleast not tonight or in the morning.

They are. St Athan is trending nicely down now. Accu show me as 2 degrees. What I can say is in the last hour it has felt NOTICEABLY chillier.

Posted

another update from Ian Fergusson on the South West thread..

Evening guys and gals.

My (much learned and wholly inimitable) colleague Rob McElwee, who acted as our Duty Forecaster for much of today, would be correct to think I'm utterly bonkers still pondering weather issues at nearly 2000hrs when I should be shortly into bed, but my briefing conversation with him earlier this afternoon effectively told a similar story to my earlier notes: i.e., anticipate a largely (if not exclusively) rain event later tonight and tomorrow across the westcountry, with the key exception of..... yes, you've guessed it..... upland Gloucestershire.

So, the essence of tomorrow remains largely the same: possibly disruptive snowfall developing for the Cotswolds and Forest of Dean; perhaps to lower levels too, but for a 'best estimate' I've appended the sooper-dooper expert thoughts of our UKMO Chief Forecaster, who - having assimilated all the available data and not least the very consistent MOGREPS output (which served us so well in Feb 2009, especially) - has done a fab job in delineating the likely snow risk in the chart here. Note, crucially, this is not merely for Tuesday!! Wednesday too. The emphasis into parts of Wales and adjoining English environs remains very evident; ditto the risk for Glos.... at least the higher areas, with WBFL's typically 250-450m.

Moving away from the snow hyperventilation expressed elsewhere on this wider forum (not this thread especially!), it's noticeable how the risk of heavy rain - and perhaps localised flooding - receives scant attention versus the prospects of 'white stuff'. In my view, this skews the likely outcome for much of southern England in the next 24hrs and I re-stress, the rainfall totals alone are more than worthy of note, let alone the snowfall into a rather focused area. But then I await to be proven wrong..... such is the nature of my job!

Oh - PS - also, don't dismiss the the ice risk from rain later tonight / tomorrow falling onto sub-zero surfaces. I just strolled through Bradley Stoke, S. Glos, and noticed some worrying signs this could become reality at points in the next 24hrs and especially further north.

Best

Ian

Very interesting chart from Ian, so a chance of snow for nearly all of Wales,

0-5 cm around the coast.

5-10cm above the M4 and away from the South West quarter of Wales

10-15cm over the Northern Valleys and over much of Mid Wales, 25cm locally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Drizzle pushing into SW England

Posted

Very interesting chart from Ian, so a chance of snow for nearly all of Wales,

0-5 cm around the coast.

and if this low does what lows in this situation NORMALLY do and pull slightly further south than anticipated, it could be even BETTER, or worse, depending on your point of view?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Absolutely anything extreme or unusual

Having risen a little earlier, the temperature is falling once again, down to 0.4c, but the pressure is pretty steady, anyone further SW experiencing falls in pressure yet?

Edited by casparjack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

They are. St Athan is trending nicely down now. Accu show me as 2 degrees. What I can say is in the last hour it has felt NOTICEABLY chillier.

Its not here, my weather station is still saying it 3.2C here, it keeps changing between 3C to 3.3C, really do hope it starts to drop soon but will all this cloud cover i dont think it will, so im losing hope for when it starts here.

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted

Just watched the BBC forecast Rob M mentioned snow for Wales however not everywhere he said- i got the impression he was seeing this as mostly higher ground event saying 5-10cm for the Brecon Beacons.

You can see the front on the radar, its coming closer to the time- something to keep in mind.

Posted

Temperture and dew droping here now back down to 0.5c from 0.9c in the last 10minutes.

There's some passing patchy cloud clearing at the moment which is why temps are falling away again. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Having risen a little earlier, the temperature is falling once again, down to 0.4c, but the pressure is pretty steady, anyone further SW experiencing falls in pressure yet?

dropping very slowly here 997.7 but still 3 degrees

woody

Just watched the BBC forecast Rob M mentioned snow for Wales however not everywhere he said- i got the impression he was seeing this as mostly higher ground event saying 5-10cm for the Brecon Beacons.

You can see the front on the radar, its coming closer to the time- something to keep in mind.

Looked to me, snow at times right down to the coast.

Remember these were the thoughts of the BBC earlier.

0-5 cm around the coast.

From Ian Fergusson's post in the SW thread.

Posted

Looked to me, snow at times right down to the coast.

Remember these were the thoughts of the BBC earlier.

0-5 cm around the coast.

From Ian Fergusson's post in the SW thread.

Yup that was a great post made by Ian on the SW thread.

Still got the GFS 18Z and the NAE run to go, it would be more promising if that low was shifted southwards again.