Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion.

Methuselah

Posted

Yeah and im not sure we are gunna get anything from this today now, we don't seem to be doing to well in these last few cold spells, i think there is some sort of anti-snow bubble around bridgend :cold:

Same here, due to the heavy sleet the ground is so water logged couldnt see if it did turn to snow it would stick anyways. I agree Bridgend seems to be in a snowless bubble. Plently of winter left yet so not giving up hope. BBC were right, heavy rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

There isn't any ppn here. No rain, no sleet, no snow.

Do i try to make it to work in Merthyr, A465 Brymawr looks dodgy

Posted

Turned to snow here now and started to settle on cars :rolleyes:

Slowly everything else is turning white now. Only snow in the PPN. Wonder if it will last?

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Hi Guys,

Bargoed snow starting to settle - just came from Blackwood with the missus and the roads are white, snow is thick and conditions quite treacherous! Blackwood are just further east than me and this seems to be making the difference.

JK

Posted

Just a few miles makes all the difference - I'm in work in Pencoed and its pouring with rain. In Brynna just 2 miles up the road (higher alt) its snow (but not sticking) Nuts!

Posted

sleet here

there's a mountain nearby that's about 1500 feet high, and the top 4 or 5 hundred feet is turning white, so i'd say the snow level is around 1000 feet asl at the moment.

Edited by bennytes

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

These are issued when the Met Office has 80% or greater confidence that severe weather is expected in the next few hours.

Local areas affectedWarning typeValid fromValid toWales: Blaenau Gwent Bridgend Caerphilly Carmarthenshire Ceredigion Merthyr Tydfil Monmouthshire Neath Port Talbot Powys Rhondda Cynon Taff Swansea TorfaenHeavy Snow0900 Tue 291800 Tue 29Outbreaks of sleet and snow are expected become heavy at times, particularly over high ground, with accumulations of 5 to 10 cm, and with locally 20 to 30 cm on hills. Strong winds will also cause drifting of the snow.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to Traffic Wales for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 0540 Tue 29 Dec

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Guys in Wales... I would not be expecting too much just yet. All the models are disagreeing with each other on what will happen. A few models are suggesting that anywhere below 300m in Wales will get rain or sleet. So don't think that it is a garaunteed snowfest yet. Tomorrow will be much a case of nowcasting and radar watching to see where the band will end up and how far North the mild air will be. I would say though people in South Wales don't get your hopes up just yet... Because it is very borderline if you are lower than 300m.

I still stand by that...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Trying its best to turn to snow here, raining but sleety and with ice pellets too

Posted

i got to go out delivering now, all over south wales. Ogmore vale, Pont Nedd fechan, Neath, swansea, maesteg, bridgend, pencoed.

lovely. if it does turn nasty, i'll be right in it! :rolleyes:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted

Moderate snow here, settling in a few places but doesn't help that it's being blown about a lot.

Posted

A4061 between Treorchy and Nantymoel in RCT/Bridgend County closed.

the bwlch is closed then?

ok, looks like pont nedd fechan is out! :rolleyes:

Posted

Nothing yet - but Metcheck have finally upgraded to Heavy Snow at 9-12. It's 2ºc but dropping here. Forecast 1ºc all day so fingers crossed...

Posted

Yep, apparently the road is a death trap. Any idea what altitude the road reaches? I seem to have 400m in my head.

yeah, i think it's around that altitude.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Absolutely anything extreme or unusual

Not a drop or a flake of anything here yet, just a gusty East wind and 2.1c, the radar is showing sleet, but we are dry?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well its stopped here and temps back up to 2.6C with a gusty ENE wind, all we had was heavy sleety rain, no snow and i can't see it snowing atall today, i find it strange how the met office have the weather watch/warning for heavy snow here yet in their forecast for the area it just shows rain!! maybe our chances of snow will be better later in the week.