Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

This thread is unbelievable tonight, all doom and gloom and were on the verge of something special like feb91. Can people please get real and stop reaching for the prozac already. IT HASENT EVEN STARTED YET!!!!!!!!!! wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifbomb.gifbomb.gifbomb.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gif

Are they?cc_confused.gif I'm not...!

No need for so many detonator smilies to be posted yet!laugh.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Oh dear I have already told my Daughters that they will most likely not be at school on Wednesday and told the wife to get the Ski's out of the garage so bring it on. Since a very early age I have always loved to look out of the window and watch the Snow falling and I have seen plenty of it being a Geordie so for my sake (the kids will blame me) PLEASE snow. :)

Posted

Im not sure what to do at the moment. On the one hand im knackered and ready for bed but on the other hand do I stay up for a while and see what happens with those snow showers moving into the Wash?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Are they?cc_confused.gif I'm not...!

No need for so many detonator smilies to be posted yet!laugh.gif

Sorry Tamara

But i just cant believe what some people are posting on here tonight, we're within touching distance of something very special, im not saying everyone should ramp but be more positive. Looking at the models im pretty sure most people will be very happy with what they get from this cold spell. :drinks::)

Posted

I think this has been over ramped for London and South East. Next week too all the same, I expect an anti climax from this!! Met office don't sound that convinced. How many sunny days are we going to get? If only I saw as much sun in summer lol ;-)

It's an event mainly for those further North.

Those who get snowed in last,laugh the longest,or something along those lines :)

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Sorry Tamara

But i just cant believe what some people are posting on here tonight, we're within touching distance of something very special, im not saying everyone should ramp but be more positive. Looking at the models im pretty sure most people will be very happy with what they get from this cold spell. yahoo.gifyahoo.gif

This doesn't include my own pov - but I think that many of these people simply haven't seen a LOT of snow for a long time. Some maybe are too young to have seen or remember Feb 1991 for eg??

In that sense the reaction is understandable. And I speak as one of the renowned optimists of this forum (dubious reputation!)crazy.gifbiggrin.gif

Still clear and frosty here with a bright moon and the parked cars on the road that still have snow on them, having not moved since New Years Eve and been in constant shade are sparkling in the moonlight. Looks beautiful !

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Im not sure what to do at the moment. On the one hand im knackered and ready for bed but on the other hand do I stay up for a while and see what happens with those snow showers moving into the Wash?

Nothing happening here yet and I am a little closer to the wash than you are. Good luck though am sort of hoping that most of the snow will go over us this time so will blow what I see in your direction if you like??

Janet

Posted

I dont think much will come off in the way of snow from the wash showers as the temp in Ramsgate is currently +2.8c and im sure its much the same for most of us along the coast from Essex and Kent ...

The temperature an hour ago rose to a silly +3.9c ... thats what weve been getting during the day recently wallbash.gif

Whats happening with the cold spell ???

Posted

Well im off to get some kip, night everyone. ANOTHER DAY CLOSER TO THE MECCA OF WINTER WEATHER WATCHING :)

Guest FireStorm

Theres a line of sleet I think moving SW through Essex appears to be following the A12 towards London. This should have given Colchester some light snow but IMO it does not look too strong and possibly fading out.

xcweather is showing winds from the west/north west, plus going by the Dutch radar it would appear to be circulating around a low pressure in the north sea, this matches the wind direction on xcweather down eastern England.

I would be under the impression the low is sinking south and heading into the Netherlands which would aid a change in wind direction and dependent on the low's positioning possibly blow the precip further towards the SE on a NE wind.

http://www.buienradar.nl/

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

GFS has been predicting some overnight snow as I think Steve mentioned earlier also. So for the next 6hours things are on track.

Whether we can start picking up a NE feed and how long that continues before it changes to a northerly in our lil corner of the country remains to be seen.

Edited by FireStorm

Posted

I dont think much will come off in the way of snow from the wash showers as the temp in Ramsgate is currently +2.8c and im sure its much the same for most of us along the coast from Essex and Kent ...

The temperature an hour ago rose to a silly +3.9c ... thats what weve been getting during the day recently wallbash.gif

Whats happening with the cold spell ???

Temp never rose above 1C all day here!

Pretty sure these showers will fall as snow as colder temps were behind the trough.

Posted

Theres a line of sleet I think moving SW through Essex appears to be following the A12 towards London. This should have given Colchester some light snow but IMO it does not look too strong and possibly fading out.

xcweather is showing winds from the west/north west, plus going by the Dutch radar it would appear to be circulating around a low pressure in the north sea, this matches the wind direction on xcweather down eastern England.

I would be under the impression the low is sinking south and heading into the Netherlands which would aid a change in wind direction and dependent on the low's positioning possibly blow the precip further towards the SE on a NE wind.

http://www.buienradar.nl/

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

GFS has been predicting some overnight snow as I think Steve mentioned earlier also. So for the next 6hours things are on track.

Whether we can start picking up a NE feed and how long that continues before it changes to a northerly in our lil corner of the country remains to be seen.

Yes, can confirm we did have some light snow, nothing to write home about though. Like you said, it appears to be moving down the A12 direction.

Guest FireStorm

Yes, can confirm we did have some light snow, nothing to write home about though. Like you said, it appears to be moving down the A12 direction.

Glad to read my nowcast ability is still top notch! :)

Posted

Sorry Tamara

But i just cant believe what some people are posting on here tonight, we're within touching distance of something very special, im not saying everyone should ramp but be more positive. Looking at the models im pretty sure most people will be very happy with what they get from this cold spell. :):)

John

There is a really fine balance in these rooms between ramping, defeatism, realism and managing expectations.

Sometimes because of the nature of internet forums, a comment could be attributed to any of the above description depending on the what context it's received in.

Anyway, cold for everyone, snow for nearly everyone (I would imagine)with just how much to be determined. No amount of posting in this forum will affect how much snow is delivered to a particular location, so best just to wait and see and stay as chilled as possible.

Posted

Hi guys! Snow forcast for southeast but not shore where.Just wondering if Kent in the tunbridge wells area will get any decent snowfall if you can reply soon Many thanks tom

Hello mate welcome, In a word yes you will get a good dumping from wednesday onwards

Posted

Thanks for the welcome :) pleased to hear the news but any snow before Wednesday in tunbridge wells.thanks

Hi, a good dumping from Wednesday onwards, a few showers on Monday with longer freqent snow showers on Tuesday is the forecast.

Posted

Thanks for the welcome :) pleased to hear the news but any snow before Wednesday in tunbridge wells.thanks

Maybe a little about dawn i think,if they(showers) make it this far inland :)

Posted

A question for the many knowledgeable technical people here. I hope it isn't in the wrong forum, pls delete if it is

I have observed the temperature increase by about a degree over the last hour and the dew point is down by about 1 and a half degrees. The wind has increased by about 10 mph. I am surprised by the increase in air temp but the decrease in dew point. Could this be due to the upper air temps coming down considerably and the wind effect on the surface temps or am I wrong? Current temp 1.9c, dp -1.3c wind 14 mph approx