Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

That doesn't look like much for the south east , that lot is down on the south coast / central.... FI is anything beyond a day lately , im ignoring all the excitable model watchers giving us doomsday style snow watching

i dont agree with any of the doomsdayers either, but i think that our region will see more snow from that then we will from todays showers, gfs ecm have shown this for last few runs, so dont see it being into FI have a llom at the possible snow depts on thursday

it is more to the central south regions but aslo afects the south east

post-10842-12625150461713_thumb.png

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

And I'm sick and tired of Reading ramp after ramp only for members like yourself having to explain why the charts look different 2 days later!

A lot to learn? At least I have enough knowledge to understand not to ramp up the ECM knowing full well it will backtrack.

The areas mentioned do have warnings your right? But only 40% of the counties mentioned have warnings!

I have my feet firmly on the ground and love model watching as my hobbie but I also like to be very realistic.

I am going to enjoy my week of sun, any surprise snowfall will be a bonus

Well said! , i gave up on people ramping up the weather 2 days ahead... then 3... then 4... then oh look it's next week!. Even steve was bad for this last night and that north easterly end of week looks nothing but a weak blink n you will miss it affair

HEAVY SNOW here !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

to be honest im getting to the stage where i will just be happy with a dusting lol

Posted

And I'm sick and tired of Reading ramp after ramp only for members like yourself having to explain why the charts look different 2 days later!

A lot to learn? At least I have enough knowledge to understand not to ramp up the ECM

You obviously have diffculty in reading some members posts.

Go back to the model discussion thread and you will note after the ECM run all my posts started with "If this run verifies". The clue is in the word if!!

Its idiots like you that put me off from posting on the model discussion thread!

Posted

i advise peeps not to bother with this thread until snow is forecast within 24 hours in your area. that way there will be a lot less sniping. i think this will be a very busy thread this week.

Posted

Well said! , i gave up on people ramping up the weather 2 days ahead... then 3... then 4... then oh look it's next week!. Even steve was bad for this last night and that north easterly end of week looks nothing but a weak blink n you will miss it affair

HEAVY SNOW here !

How ironic.

You were moaning about how dry its looking and now you have heavy snow. When will you learn that surprise snowfall always occurs and can never be predicted more than 48hrs away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

it just seems the further we get into this cold spell the further the snow gets 3 days,4 days next week. i really think south of london could miss out on this so called epic spell. probably completely wrong(hoping) but still got faith lol

Posted

Go back to the model discussion thread and you will note after the ECM run all my posts started with "If this run verifies". The clue is in the word if!!

Its idiots like you that put me off from posting on the model discussion thread!

I was never aiming at you totally and I'm aware you have always posted with caution!

I think Steve M seemed to really ramp it up!

Please do not call me an idiot, no need for that!

You don't see me calling members idiots who posted " day after tomorrow" posts!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Got a few light snow showers drifting across here from N Kent coast on the ENE wind, gone dark to the NE

Posted

Snow heading towards Faversham !

TEITS , considering what was being forecast it's still an overally dry picture... The odd snow shower on a north east wind , isn't much to write home about compared to what was shown

Posted

Agree with that, if you want to discuss the models why cant we discuss them, thats what weather forcasters do! you dont have to listen to what the models are saying as gospel

on the other hand people saying armageddon stuff should be ignored. i come here to discuss models for south east region, not to ramp or be ramped to.

Posted

Agree with that, if you want to discuss the models why cant we discuss them, thats what weather forcasters do! you dont have to listen to what the models are saying as gospel

on the other hand people saying armageddon stuff should be ignored. i come here to discuss models for south east region, not to ramp or be ramped to.

well all eyes on the country file forecast to-night should be worth looking at this week!!!

Posted

I was never aiming at you totally and I'm aware you have always posted with caution!

I think Steve M seemed to really ramp it up!

Please do not call me an idiot, no need for that!

You don't see me calling members idiots who posted " day after tomorrow" posts!

Yes I apologise for that.

At the moment im only really concentrating on Tues. We have a cold front moving S which is likely to bring snow to some regions. However im a little wary of how much snowfall is likely to bring because its always difficult to predict the extend of precip on a front thats moving N to S.

Posted

interesting to note, it's only the 3rd day of January and we already have above average days of snow laying here in this section of Kent! :)

[average is 2 - 2.5, there has been snow on the ground everyday of this month]

Yeh Yeh Rub it in :drinks::angry:

Snowing here still , having trouble to even cause a dusting now

Posted

HEAVY SNOW here !

What 48hrs of convective snow showers is a weak blink and you'll miss it affair! to be honest alot of the regulars are getting a bit sick of the sniping and criticism aimed at them! People seem to read the model discussion and believe want they want to rather than properly read whats being said, as for criticizing Steve M do you realize how much work he puts in to his posts!

He's not paid for it but is simply sharing his passion for the weather especially cold and snow! i mean why should he bother when certain members just aim criticism when they have far less knowledge than him and many of the regulars! If people don't like whats being said they should go off and learn a bit more about the models and make their own minds up about future snow prospects, this post isn't neccesarily aimed at you Neil but certain other posters who quite frankly are seriously getting on my nerves!

Posted

Think it might be time for a few to calm down in this thread, If it all goes Boobs up then lets set up a thread next weekend and have a good old slanging match, until then we cant call what will happen with 5-6 days at least left of this current cold spell.

Paul S

Posted

I'm one of the many lurkers on this site due to not having the skills or knowledge to make forecasts based on the model outputs (not to any decent degree anyway) and I tend to just post when extreme/unusual weather occurs to help others locate what's going on where.

I just wanted to point out to people that its become far too easy over the past few weeks to get complacent over the weather we're experiencing. Many of us in this region have seen snow falling, snow laying and it has been cold. Has it been extreme? Well, if we constantly compare today with 20/30/40 years ago, then no, but if we look at it in terms of recent winters, then yes. How easily we forget just how we'd have given anything to have a period of weather like this in the past few winters. Have we forgotten how often we are usually in an Atlantic driven pattern with mild, wet and windy weather in this period? And How everyone is normally desperately searching for any signs of cold in the charts?

We've been spoilt and it's only just turned January. We get so consumed when in a cold spell to look for the breakdown that we often miss what's going on outside. As I've said, I'm no expert at all but I do know that models chop and change from each run but the most important part is that we are locked into a decent cold spell - whatever develops from that is very much down to nowcasting. Models don't 'take away' snow, if it's going to snow on the 10th January, then it's going to snow on the 10th January and no model can change that. We have to rely on the model output to figure out what 'could' happen and discuss that from there.

I am baffled by people getting upset when the models show a breakdown that is over a week away. I mean, how many times have we have a cold spell that lasts that long? I'm sure it will snow at some point over the next week but no matter what the models say, what the BBC forecasters say, however much the media hype it or whatever colour warnings the MetO update, you can only be 100% confident of it snowing when you look out your window and see it for yourself.

Enjoy this weather because this is unusual and if we get no snow from it, then it doesn't make it any less remarkable. Over the past few years we do seem to be moving back into 'normal' winter conditions, so who knows where this could all eventually lead??

Posted

A lot to learn? At least I have enough knowledge to understand not to ramp up the ECM knowing full well it will backtrack.

The areas mentioned do have warnings your right? But only 40% of the counties mentioned have warnings!

I have my feet firmly on the ground and love model watching as my hobbie but I also like to be very realistic.

I am going to enjoy my week of sun, any surprise snowfall will be a bonus

Expect nothing...nothing at all,and when you have to eat humble pie, it dont half taste good :drinks:

Posted

YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Heaviest snowfall this winter so far , it's really coming down..

Heads up Canterbury :angry::)

At last, neilsouth is positive and happy due to snow :drinks:

Posted

If it all goes Boobs up then lets set up a thread next weekend and have a good old slanging match, .

Paul S

Sounds great. :drinks:

Back to the radar and im keeping my eye on the snow showers moving S. I hope to see at least a flurry today. Can you believe my parents 5 miles W of Peterborough woke up to a dusting this morning. My brother 5 miles E of me also woke up to a dusting and yet I have nothing!

Posted

Yes I apologise for that.

At the moment im only really concentrating on Tues. We have a cold front moving S which is likely to bring snow to some regions. However im a little wary of how much snowfall is likely to bring because its always difficult to predict the extend of precip on a front thats moving N to S.

Me too. Tuesday seems our best day of the week for some snow, as is often the case The ppn dies out by the time if reaches herts.

You should do well though TEITS

I didn't mean to start a huge arguement! Sorry if it came across that way

I think what I'll do is ignore ramps more than anything from 36+ hrs away.

Posted

Tomas (I can't spell his surname) on BBC Weather just now predicting growing snow risk from Tuesday onwards. Now it may be me but recently the BBC didn't seem to want to go more than 24/36 hours ahead. But now talking about snow in E/SE areas esp Friday.

V