Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Still got snow lying here from 2 days ago, quite rare for this location. :cold: Looking good on the radar to get some snow today, might be a bit hit and miss exactly where the streamer sets up, some places could get blue skies while others get a few inches?.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Well the only ones ramping it up as usual are the people in the model discussion area , but us locals know whats going on :cold: .

Still keeping an eye on this next snow shower as our dusting has melted very quickly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

It is going to be an agonising day for people in SE Essex today, Maidstone is Directly South of us here and they are already getting the Snow Shower Train. For people wondering why London has been left off the warnings this is why, I would think the showers will hit the North Kent Coast (Sticky Out Bit) and travel WSW Through Medway Towns and die out as they approach North East Surrey etc. So in theory if any of the heavier showers get to say Junction 5/6 of the M25 (Which is 25 miles SW From SE Essex) then they could get more Snow than a place that usually does a lot better in a NE Flow :cold::p

The weather is crazy and unpredictable most of the time!

Paul S

Back in the 80's these type Kent streamers often made it right down to Sussex and even the South Coast, while just a couple of miles away in West Essex and NW Kent there would be just a dusting resulting from PPN in the peak of the showery activity. I would go for a drive just a few miles to my East and find lots of heavy snow then as I came back up the A2 it would just get lighter and lighter and then nothing! :p

Edited by snowray

Posted

yes EA - not the home counties

So my statement is true for my area - sun all week apart from Tuesday

I doubt very much I'll be getting a shovel at the ready like experience members were posting on Friday night do you?

I have to agree with you mate, our chances aren't good unless a Thames streamer sets up at some point or that channel low midweek comes a bit further north.

If we do get a bit of snow however it'll hang around for ages because of how cold it is, it's just not the same being cold but no lying snow.

We had some good snow a couple of weeks ago though :cold:

Posted

Still got snow lying here from 2 days ago, quite rare for this location. :cold: Looking good on the radar to get some snow today, might be a bit hit and miss exactly where the streamer sets up, some places could get blue skies while others get a few inches?.

Unless the Steering winds change throughout today not a lot will change with the distibution of the Showers. North of the Estuary the winds are NE & NNE and to the South of the Estuary the winds are Easterly or East North Easterly, so it is pretty obvious that the showers are getting pushed NE/SW In the Estuary Offshore and then being steered ENE - WSW South of the Estuary.

This will ALWAYS Favour places South of the Thames in this Set-Up.

I am hoping for a change of direction from the steering flow today :p

This is exactly what happened on the 1st/2nd February last year with the winds starting in this direction and then veering East North East. The rest was History as they say but it does not look like that will happen today.

Paul S

Posted

It is going to be an agonising day for people in SE Essex today, Maidstone is Directly South of us here and they are already getting the Snow Shower Train. For people wondering why London has been left off the warnings this is why, I would think the showers will hit the North Kent Coast (Sticky Out Bit) and travel WSW Through Medway Towns and die out as they approach North East Surrey etc. So in theory if any of the heavier showers get to say Junction 5/6 of the M25 (Which is 25 miles SW From SE Essex) then they could get more Snow than a place that usually does a lot better in a NE Flow :wacko: :whistling:

The weather is crazy and unpredictable most of the time!

Paul S

Hi Paul, yes this is frustrating for us. Maybe the wind will swing in our favour soon, or there maybe some showers forming further north in the n.sea. Straw clutching at its best!

Posted

Well the only ones ramping it up as usual are the people in the model discussion area , but us locals know whats going on :whistling: .

Still keeping an eye on this next snow shower as our dusting has melted very quickly

I'm focussing more on the MetO warnings and this local site now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Huge anvils developing over Eastern Kent. Wish they would move inland more

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

It looks to me atm that the showers are being steered across North Kent, but there are signs that the streamer is edging a little further south as well from off the dutch coast so it could well be that snow showers start to cross more southern parts of the county with time *she adds optimistically*biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

If the meto are not posting warnings for snow in your area for this week it meens very little, accurate snow forecasting from an e'ly can only

be done at about 24 hours max. If you got snow from the pre xmas e'ly or last jan you will prob do well again. If you live on the eastern side

of britain you should see some snow but you wont get 4 days notice with snow from the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Huge anvils developing over Eastern Kent atm. Not enough East in the flow to bring inland unfortunately

Posted

yes EA - not the home counties

So my statement is true for my area - sun all week apart from Tuesday

I doubt very much I'll be getting a shovel at the ready like experience members were posting on Friday night do you?

Im getting sick and tired of your posts now complaining against those who commented on the ECM run.

Is it our fault the ECM has backed away from the very snowy E,ly? Is it our fault you chose to believe that run? If you actually read the posts you will see that members were rightfully commenting on what the ECM run would produce. There is a difference between commenting on a run and suggesting it will actually happen!!

Im afraid you have alot to learn about reading the models. I see you chose to leave out my comments which I have been saying all week about the uncertainity with regards to the strength and the exact flow.

Besides this the Met O have put out warnings for the areas that we commented on!!

Posted

:wacko: :help::whistling:

futeer.jpg

Posted

Hi blackie, so frustrating huh! Maybe the wind will turn a little bit more to the ene off shore and blow the shower train the whole 2 or 3 miles our way!

Yes LS, very frustrating! And as Paul S says, it will be agonising today watching that train of showers skirt past us. However, if you check out the wind forecasts on xcweather.com, you will see that the winds turn much more easterly and even a touch south easterly along the Thames Estuary later this evening. If the snow showers are still going then, that could give us a better chance. Just as long as it doesn't snow too much to stop me getting to Brentwood for an important meeting tomorrow afternoon...

Neil - very impressive for a Digital Rebel, obviously bought in the US. Not tried HDR myself, although I like the look of the images. Bit of a traditionalist myself. I posted a thread in the weather photography section last night you might be interested in. (Sorry for straying off topic, Paul)

Posted

Cant belive no1 is mentionng the Latest Gfs models they are great for our region especially for those on the south coast. as i was saing yesterday from tuesday evening rght the way to thursday the south east could see alot of snow.

this is not into FI this is 48-72 hours away have a look at the charts. i know GFS is not the best model for ppcn but its not bad,

people cant look at these and say its going be a dry week? what basis do you have?

post-10842-12625145385613_thumb.png

post-10842-12625145469013_thumb.png

post-10842-12625145558513_thumb.png

post-10842-12625145616313_thumb.png

post-10842-12625145669113_thumb.png

post-10842-12625145721913_thumb.png

Posted

I am hoping for a change of direction from the steering flow today :whistling:

This is exactly what happened on the 1st/2nd February last year with the winds starting in this direction and then veering East North East. The rest was History as they say but it does not look like that will happen today.

Paul S

Paul - as per my post just now, check out the projected wind direction for later today on xcweather (sorry, it is .co.uk and not .com as I said before). Maybe a chance for us after all? They are pretty accurate with their projections usually.

Posted

Cant belive no1 is mentionng the Latest Gfs models they are great for our region especially for those on the south coast. as i was saing yesterday from tuesday evening rght the way to thursday the south east could see alot of snow.

That doesn't look like much for the south east , that lot is down on the south coast / central.... FI is anything beyond a day lately , im ignoring all the excitable model watchers giving us doomsday style snow watching

Posted

YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Heaviest snowfall this winter so far , it's really coming down..

Heads up Canterbury :whistling: :wacko:

Posted

Manston is ......1.8c ,and not that far from the sea..thats 3.0c difference?surely cant be right can it?

sorry TN9 I did not reply earlier , I thought the readings a little strange myself but my outside thermometer agreed with another poster from thanet two days ago, anyway the reading is now showing 2.6c and very small flakes of snow appearing

Many thanks

Posted

Im getting sick and tired of your posts now complaining against those who commented on the ECM run.

Is it our fault the ECM has backed away from the very snowy E,ly? Is it our fault you chose to believe that run? If you actually read the posts you will see that members were rightfully commenting on what the ECM run would produce. There is a difference between commenting on a run and suggesting it will actually happen!!

Im afraid you have alot to learn about reading the models. I see you chose to leave out my comments which I have been saying all week about the uncertainity with regards to the strength and the exact flow.

Besides this the Met O have put out warnings for the areas that we commented on!!

And I'm sick and tired of Reading ramp after ramp only for members like yourself having to explain why the charts look different 2 days later!

A lot to learn? At least I have enough knowledge to understand not to ramp up the ECM knowing full well it will backtrack.

The areas mentioned do have warnings your right? But only 40% of the counties mentioned have warnings!

I have my feet firmly on the ground and love model watching as my hobbie but I also like to be very realistic.

I am going to enjoy my week of sun, any surprise snowfall will be a bonus

Posted

I thinkyou will be eating a nice piece of humble pie by this time next week. Be patient my friend good things will happen from this cold spell. :whistling:

I don't think I will, been told that once already and all I can say is I wish I saw sunshine like this in summer!