Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

bbc weather ramping now for all our region (every one) lets all be patient. very new to all this but always been interested in weather especially cold. i for one think we should not snipe at more skilled members who are trying to make out what all the models are showing. presenters on bbc weather can't imo. so thanks to all as the charts to me may as well be in latin lol

Posted

What 48hrs of convective snow showers is a weak blink and you'll miss it affair! to be honest alot of the regulars are getting a bit sick of the sniping and criticism aimed at them! People seem to read the model discussion and believe want they want to rather than properly read whats being said, as for criticizing Steve M do you realize how much work he puts in to his posts!

He's not paid for it but is simply sharing his passion for the weather especially cold and snow! i mean why should he bother when certain members just aim criticism when they have far less knowledge than him and many of the regulars! If people don't like whats being said they should go off and learn a bit more about the models and make their own minds up about future snow prospects, this post isn't neccesarily aimed at you Neil but certain other posters who quite frankly are seriously getting on my nerves!

+1

If it wasn't for all the hard work that goes into the Outlook threads, and the snippets given here - we would all be watching the BBC who are not going any further than Tuesday at the moment.

Edited to note Paul S comments and the 11am BBC forecast

Edited by Paul Ashford-Kent

Posted

Sounds great. :drinks:

Back to the radar and im keeping my eye on the snow showers moving S. I hope to see at least a flurry today. Can you believe my parents 5 miles W of Peterborough woke up to a dusting this morning. My brother 5 miles E of me also woke up to a dusting and yet I have nothing!

Blimey,thats a first :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

BBC 11am WEATHER

Wed to Fri significant snow in the East and South East.

Jan

yep saw that looking good now heres hoping

Posted

I have model watched for 15 years. I am by no means skilled. What I have learned is that precipitation showed on models is at best a guesstimate. This week, we have a cyclonic pattern which brings instability which brings snow. It is too early to say where the snow will definately be, apart from general risk areas. I feel it will come down to a nowcast for a lot of regions

Jan

Posted

What 48hrs of convective snow showers is a weak blink and you'll miss it affair! to be honest alot of the regulars are getting a bit sick of the sniping and criticism aimed at them! People seem to read the model discussion and believe want they want to rather than properly read whats being said, as for criticizing Steve M do you realize how much work he puts in to his posts!

He's not paid for it but is simply sharing his passion for the weather especially cold and snow! i mean why should he bother when certain members just aim criticism when they have far less knowledge than him and many of the regulars! If people don't like whats being said they should go off and learn a bit more about the models and make their own minds up about future snow prospects, this post isn't neccesarily aimed at you Neil but certain other posters who quite frankly are seriously getting on my nerves!

Excellent post Nick and its worth saying that the vast majority of lurkers / part-timers etc really value the posts from yourself and Steve etc. I know I do and I appreciate a lot of effort goes into them. Keep them coming please.

Edited by Vesuvius

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

At last, neilsouth is positive and happy due to snow :)

Which lasted all of 20mins or so , since then it's just been flurries... I think the radar is a little off , it's not as intense as it's led to believe :drinks:

Posted

Me too. Tuesday seems our best day of the week for some snow, as is often the case The ppn dies out by the time if reaches herts.

You should do well though TEITS

I didn't mean to start a huge arguement! Sorry if it came across that way

I think what I'll do is ignore ramps more than anything from 36+ hrs away.

We all know how you feel to be honest. It does get frustrating when the models gear us up for good snowfall only to be downgraded. It's just mother nature telling us that things can change in an instant.

At the moment, we are looking at a very good and probable synoptic cold/very cold and at times snowy period this coming week. The models are showing what mother nature is throwing at them, and the law of averages would suggest that we have a great percentage of January delivery snow this week.

I am expecting the MetO to upgrade their warnings to the whole of the SE later today into tomorrow for the snowy period this coming week.

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Excellent post Nick and its worth saying that the vast majority of lurkers / part-timers etc really value the posts from yourself and Steve etc. I know I do and I appreciate a lot of effort goes into them. Keep them coming please.

David

I second that

Jan

Posted

I visit these forums because I enjoy the 'speculation'.

The same way I like to read football transfer speculation in the papers, even though we know much of it is usually rubbish.

Torres to Man City? No way! A memorable week of extreme winter weather in the S.E?? Ermm.. Naahhh

Posted

BBC 11am WEATHER

Wed to Fri significant snow in the East and South East.

Jan

Did this include east kent?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

I have model watched for 15 years. I am by no means skilled. What I have learned is that precipitation showed on models is at best a guesstimate. This week, we have a cyclonic pattern which brings instability which brings snow. It is too early to say where the snow will definately be, apart from general risk areas. I feel it will come down to a nowcast for a lot of regions

Jan

Best post across all forums by a country mile. This post should be pinned at the start of each new page on each cold spell discussion.

Posted

I visit these forums because I enjoy the 'speculation'.

The same way I like to read football transfer speculation in the papers, even though we know much of it is usually rubbish.

Torres to Man City? No way! A memorable week of extreme winter weather in the S.E?? Ermm.. Naahhh

:drinks: The weather equivalent to some of the football rumours would be blizzards in July. Sunstantial accumulations likely. Drifting.

Posted

Yes hun, all of us

Jan

Thankyou Jan

Posted

Nothing of note here in the Halling (Cuxton/Snodland) area. We caught the edge of the shower that went over Maidstone (sheltered here by Bluebell Hill), just a few grains on the roof, but Larkfield got a dusting.

Look at "willitraintoday" there is something developing just off to the East of Clacton, looking at the track, it seems to have the Medway area's name on it.....(perhaps....lol)

Posted

Getting very dark here! 2.9C

Edit: small flakes falling

Slight covering from the showers this morning: maybe half a centimetre. Looking at the radar, there's some nice big blobs in from the north sea, but they are very slow moving. Might be a long wait until the next shower, but once you get one it should last a while.

Mark - west of Maidstone, Kent

Posted

We all know how you feel to be honest. It does get frustrating when the models gear us up for good snowfall only to be downgraded. It's just mother nature telling us that things can change in an instant.

At the moment, we are looking at a very good and probable synoptic cold/very cold and at times snowy period this coming week. The models are showing what mother nature is throwing at them, and the law of averages would suggest that we have a great percentage of January delivery snow this week.

I am expecting the MetO to upgrade their warnings to the whole of the SE later today into tomorrow for the snowy period this coming week.

The voice of reason Yamkin! Your posts always bring me a glimmer of hope. Here in SW London area we have not had any snow that has settled really. I too am going to take it by the ''radar'' as even the local metO forecast for my area was showing snow showers for yesterday and today and we have had nothing. I must admit I prefer the lovely crisp cold air with bright sunshine to the dreaded dross from the Atlantic anyday. I'm very jealous of you guys in Kent :lol: enjoy guys and spare a thought for us in the snow starved areas.

Posted

Look at "willitraintoday" there is something developing just off to the East of Clacton, looking at the track, it seems to have the Medway area's name on it.....(perhaps....lol)

I've been following that band, its got Maidstone written all over it :lol: