Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

anyone else in newcastle just here thunder or am imagining things?

actually think its just a plane LOL

No I heard a muffled rumble of thunder too, 1-3cm has fallen from that shower, it's hard to tell though as there were blizzard conditions and the snow was blowing around a lot.

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Very heavy snow on a NE`ly with visability of about 30 metres here now

Posted

my temp is still showing -0.5oC for those in newcastle with rising temps.

snow pretty much stopped now. added another CM.

EDIT: does it look like the stuff from the north and the stuff to the east are going to meet in the middle to anyone else?

Edited by izi

Posted

my temp is still showing -0.5oC for those in newcastle with rising temps.

snow pretty much stopped now. added another CM.

That shower added 1-3cm here, 1-2cm the best bet though as it has really blown up into drifts so its very hard to measure properly now.

And my temp. is -0.9°C.

Edited by alza

Posted

The roads were a lot worse in Newcastle & Stanley than up in Consett, doesn't seem to been a awful lot come down here.

That can't be very common :drinks:

Posted

Just checked the lamppost and it is snowing lightly, medium sized flakes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yep, just had a blizzard haily type of shower, some snowflakes mixed in but not enough to class it as a snow shower.

Wind has picked up from the sea and this has made the temp rise, i can tell by this because the little bit of snow on the washing pole is melting! And i'm sure when i put my hand in the hail, there was a few drops of rain, only small however but it would be nice if the air did get slightly colder now.

Neil Bradshaw at Marsden right next to the coast is reporting temperatures of 3C at the moment:

http://www.southshields-weather.co.uk/Today%27s_weather.htm

From this, I guess that Pelaw (and for that matter Cleadon) are probably at 2.5C during clear intervals in between showers, which is entirely consistent with the thaw. You need temperatures about 0.5-1.0C lower to be on the safe side- in my experience temps in that range mean showers will often start off quite sleety and only produce accumulations of snow if particularly heavy.

I must admit I did not foresee this marginality near the east coast, but it should not continue through the night, temps do look like reducing from the NE later on.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Temperatures right here on the coast are a dizzy 2.9°C and Dp at +0.8°C but the showers that do hit are falling as snow/graupel and hail. No thaw either. The upper temperature 850hpa are around -8°C so this is helping the precipitation stay as snow. Will be interesting to see where the more organized showers stretching from the lowlands of Scotland out around 100 mile northeast of Aberdeen will be in a few hours time...!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Neil Bradshaw at Marsden right next to the coast is reporting temperatures of 3C at the moment:

http://www.southshie...27s_weather.htm

From this, I guess that Pelaw (and for that matter Cleadon) are probably at 2 to 2.5C during clear intervals in between showers, which is entirely consistent with the thaw. You need temperatures about 0.5-1.0C lower to be on the safe side- in my experience temps in that range mean showers will often start off quite sleety and only produce accumulations of snow if particularly heavy.

Are the temps going to drop?

Posted
Will be interesting to see where the more organized showers stretching from the lowlands of Scotland out around 100 mile northeast of Aberdeen will be in a few hours time...!

my thoughts exactly. could be quite exciting!

suprised at 2.8oC at the coast! temp has risen here also, now -0.3oC.

And yet it's been about freezing or below all day here...cant realy be the altitude as were not THAT high up...must be the best reasoned weather theory I heard last year...I believe it was Paul Tall's theory that and I quote 'it snows in the Dales because the snow knows it's the Dales '...lol

Posted

http://www.southshields-weather.co.uk/Today%27s_weather.htm

From this, I guess that Pelaw (and for that matter Cleadon) are probably at 2.5C during clear intervals in between showers, which is entirely consistent with the thaw. You need temperatures about 0.5-1.0C lower to be on the safe side- in my experience temps in that range mean showers will often start off quite sleety and only produce accumulations of snow if particularly heavy.

I must admit I did not foresee this marginality near the east coast, but it should not continue through the night, temps do look like reducing from the NE later on.

I don't think temps are that high around my location in all honesty, the shower i did had was mostly of hail and putting me hand out only saw a few drops of rain.

No real obvious thaw apart from the slightest of thaw on the washing pole. It does however came at the same time the wind has picked up so the temp has certainly risen but not so much that it is anything to worry about i would of thought.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Can anyone confirm this, i have just had reports of sheet lightning and loud thunder over Washington,

one of my friends just rang to tell me

Posted

well whilst temperatures are up slightly, to as someone mention before 2.8 showers are still falling as snow and no noticeable thaw from anything really, i always use the garden fence as a goo measure of thaw, and there is no drops coming off it, so ground temps must be holding off the 2m temps... big shower on a collision course with whitburn atm :blink: