Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted

To be fair to those in the South this does look an interesting event. Up to 40cm is very impressive.

The NE of England holds two winter records for the longest period of time below freezing in a inhabited area in Feb 1986 at Widdbank Fell.

Deepest lying snow in a inabited location 211cm March 1947 Forest in Teesdale.

Mark

my gran talks of the 1947 snow storm. It produced so much snow that the drifts were litterally 10 metres high, and some higher. Roads were completly cut off. Roads had to be dug out before being able to be passed by tractors, neber mind cars. she has photos of it somewhere, i should scan them in for all to enjoy.

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Theres a picture in the hexham courant window of a double decker driving along the tyne valley with snow up to the top of it from the 1960 sometime. That would be fun!

The 14.30 radar shows a bit in the north sea developing into 16-32mms and its heading straight for us. Lets hope it intensifyes!

Had an inch in just 10 minutes here!

Edited by tynevalleywinter

Posted

Theres a picture in the hexham courant window of a double decker driving along the tyne valley with snow up to the top of it from the 1960 sometime. That would be fun!

The 14.30 radar shows a bit in the north sea developing into 16-32mms and its heading straight for us. Lets hope it intensifyes!

Had an inch in just 10 minutes here!

so you have seen snow then, i thought they would travel in further than 10 miles!

Posted

so you have seen snow then, i thought they would travel in further than 10 miles!

You never know with snow but still in the middle of one big blizzard here

Posted

Question for the experts.

Why is it, that judging by the charts, forecasts and radar, these showers are coming in from the East, when, looking outside, all the cloud is definitely rattling in from the West ??

Is there something developing here?

Thanks in advance,

Karl

Posted

You never know with snow but still in the middle of one big blizzard here

lucky bugger! Had a miserable 10 min shower earlier and nothing else. Looking at the radar looks like you have the shower now which has intensified over you- Typically being pathetic over Newcastle and being great somewhere further down the road!

Latest radar looking like that bit out to sea is getting bigger!

Edited by izi

Posted

Looking at the radar, the showerd are definitely beefing up off the coast and heading straight towards Necastle, could be some very heavy stuff there, due to hit at approx 4pm.

As I suggested earlier, they are also increasing in size !

Karl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Frequent light snow flurries this afternoon, with a nice heavy one at 13:30. Looking at the radar I think a spell of heavy snow, like we experienced on New Years day, should hit in an hour or so from the North Sea. It's southern extent looks to be somewhere between Durham and Newcastle, with the Northern edge around Morpeth. That is just a rough guess as it is developing rapidly. Another intense area of snow looks to be arriving further south just a little bit later.

Edited by alza

Posted

Question for the experts.

Why is it, that judging by the charts, forecasts and radar, these showers are coming in from the East, when, looking outside, all the cloud is definitely rattling in from the West ??

Is there something developing here?

Thanks in advance,

Karl

No answer to that unless it is some micro thing,the wind here is definately NE and has picked up in the last hour during which we had quire a heavy prolonged snow shower.

Posted

Looking at the radar, the showerd are definitely beefing up off the coast and heading straight towards Necastle, could be some very heavy stuff there, due to hit at approx 4pm.

As I suggested earlier, they are also increasing in size !

Karl

Who ever gets this blob is a lucky so and so :(

The red means 30 mm an hour, which equates to 30CM/hour fall, so even if it fell for 30 mins you would still get 15CMs!

post-2491-12627049374652_thumb.png

Edited by izi

Posted

No answer to that unless it is some micro thing,the wind here is definately NE and has picked up in the last hour during which we had quire a heavy prolonged snow shower.

Thanks Rollo, just looked outside again and there now appears to be no Westerly element to cloud movement, wierd.

Looking good for the next few hours, doubtful I'll make work in South Shields tomorrow morning !

Karl

Posted

Who ever gets this blob is a lucky so and so :lol:

The red means 30 mm an hour, which equates to 30CM/hour fall, so even if it fell for 30 mins you would still get 15CMs!

To me it looks like that larger, albeit less intense area of snow just to the NE of the blob you highlighted is heading for Newcastle. It still looks quite intense though, looks similar in size to those areas of snow we saw on New Year's morning, but more intense :lol:

On second thoughts, that very intense blob looks to be rotating around the l.p. a bit so it could end up anywhere atm.

Edited by alza

Posted

Lol, checked outside again and there is very definitely a layer of low-level cloud zipping through quickly from the WEST !!, underneath the main NE flow.

Posted

To me it looks like that larger, albeit less intense area of snow just to the NE of the blob you highlighted is heading for Newcastle. It still looks quite intense though, looks similar in size to those areas of snow we saw on New Year's morning, but more intense :D

On second thoughts, that very intense blob looks to be rotating around the l.p. a bit so it could end up anywhere atm.

yeah it will probs miss newcastle and dump it in kent lol :D:D

Lol, checked outside again and there is very definitely a layer of low-level cloud zipping through quickly from the WEST !!, underneath the main NE flow.

i remember seeing a chart with a small low over us not so long ago which could explain this. Anyone else care to offer and explaination?

Posted

Moderate powder snow now with large flakes starting to mix in, and its gone incredibly dark all of a sudden.

All large, dry flakes now and its accumulating.

Edited by alza

Posted

Another light flurry in Darlington at the moment. Saw a heavy shower up at Teesside park around 12:45 but that's about it really so far.

Posted

This area of snow which is starting to make its presence felt looks like its going to last at least a couple of hours with an intensity of 8-16cm per hour, and locally 16-32cm per hour. I used Meto Invent radar to work this out though, and I don't know how accurate it is. 10cm could easily fall this evening though without even bothering to use the radar properly.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Wonderful today quite long nice heavy snow showers and now another one has arrived :drunk: must be plenty of depth now some of my teachers got sent home early because of it please let it be no school tomoz!

Posted

snow started in newcastle, then stopped in 10 mins again... it will probably reform behind us in to a lengthy period of snow for someone!

radar still shows that larger clump out to sea.

if you 'play' the radar on metoffice website fortoday its been a weird old day. the main band stalled over leeds, then fizzled out alot - where is the 30cm for the southern country to come from? The showers which have been coming in of the north sea seem to be scared of land and disintegrate quickly.

Tonight is looking interesting!

Edited by izi

Posted

Snowing hard again after a brief rest, could this be the main course?

Wonderful today quite long nice heavy snow showers and now another one has arrived :drinks: must be plenty of depth now some of my teachers got sent home early because of it please let it be no school tomoz!

My school nearly shut early today as the heating has been playing up, all the teachers had been told to remind everyone to check the school website tomorrow to see whether it is still open so the school must be quite worried.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Snowing hard again after a brief rest, could this be the main course?

My school nearly shut early today as the heating has been playing up, all the teachers had been told to remind everyone to check the school website tomorrow to see whether it is still open so the school must be quite worried.

The heaters in my school wernt working but they put on the back up ones but they didnt tell us anything which i found odd because you would think sending teachers home early would suggest no school tommorrow? what you think off the chances? also how much more snow tonight and tommorrow and rest of week? drunk.gifyahoo.gif

Is it just me or cant yu zoom in on raintodays radar?

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Looks like they've disabled zoom, probably to save on server load. They'll no doubt be getting absolutely hammered with traffic at the moment!

Stopped again here for the time being. These little flurries are really frustrating as they don't add much to the snow already on the ground :(.

Posted

The heaters in my school wernt working but they put on the back up ones but they didnt tell us anything which i found odd because you would think sending teachers home early would suggest no school tommorrow? what you think off the chances? also how much more snow tonight and tommorrow and rest of week? drunk.gifyahoo.gif

Is it just me or cant yu zoom in on raintodays radar?

I really couldn't give you the chances of your school being closed, depends how much snow it takes for that to happen. My school hardly ever closes but since the heating went off twice there must be a chance. Unless the snow is very deep its unlikely to close because of snow alone, even if 30cm falls in Newcastle most people would be able to find ways of getting in. And I think tonight and tomorrow could be very snowy locally, but not everywhere, rather like New Years Day but I'm not suggesting the same areas will be affected. Towards the end of the week it looks like becoming drier, so I would make the most of the snow now in case milder weather finally breaks through during next week.