Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted

Can anyone confirm this, i have just had reports of sheet lightning and loud thunder over Washington,

one of my friends just rang to tell me

there have been reports of thunder and someone reported lightning, not sure where.

not sure about washington, but there is thunder and lightning about so it wouldnt suprise me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Can anyone confirm this, i have just had reports of sheet lightning and loud thunder over Washington,

one of my friends just rang to tell me

Had some here in Stanley about 30 mins ago so Washington could well have had some too. Also some around Newcastle have reported hearing thunder.

This was the shower...

post-3392-12627233431652_thumb.jpg

Looking good for later :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

3.1C at Marsden now according to the link I gave earlier. (I've gone back to Norwich now, which is why I no longer have immediate access to Cleadon readings- they get sent to me twice a month- so the nearest indicator is Neil Bradshaw's site, although it is nearer the coast and slightly more urban, so I'd expect it to be reading about 0.5C warmer than Cleadon at the moment).

Pelaw is further inland so perhaps that may be why it hasn't warmed up as much there. I envisage a very sharp drop in temperature at the coast as the next batch of showers comes in, as I'm pretty certain that this excess warmth is being generated by the sea, and usually when a shower gets underway, the absorption of latent heat from the atmosphere temporarily neutralises much of the sea's warming effect on the coast.

Posted

3.1C at Marsden now according to the link I gave earlier. (I've gone back to Norwich now, which is why I no longer have immediate access to Cleadon readings- they get sent to me twice a month- so the nearest indicator is Neil Bradshaw's site, although it is nearer the coast and slightly more urban, so I'd expect it to be reading about 0.5C warmer than Cleadon at the moment).

Pelaw is further inland so perhaps that may be why it hasn't warmed up as much there. I envisage a very sharp drop in temperature at the coast as the next batch of showers comes in, as I'm pretty certain that this excess warmth is being generated by the sea, and usually when a shower gets underway, the absorption of latent heat from the atmosphere temporarily neutralises much of the sea's warming effect on the coast.

are you refering to the showers to the north east of sctoland?

Posted

light to moderate snow in byker no sign of any melting, wind picking up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I was thinking of the batches out in the North Sea- I thought the forward one was likely to catch the South Shields/Sunderland area but it could swing to the south of the area, in which case there's another lot to the north of it heading in behind.

Posted

I was thinking of the batches out in the North Sea- I thought the forward one was likely to catch the South Shields/Sunderland area but it could swing to the south of the area, in which case there's another lot to the north of it heading in behind.

ah ok... this shows the two bands look like they are getting closer to each otheer. do you think they could join in the middle or is that not technically possible?

temp dropped back to -0.7oC here.

Posted

What do you think of the chances for the boro area? I could have sworn looking at the radar that we were in for quite a lot this evening but it seems to be petering out as it makes landfall, I have also heard people talking about tomorrow whereas the meto say showers will be dying out tomorrow, does anyone know whats going on! :wallbash:

What do you think of the chances for the boro area? I could have sworn looking at the radar that we were in for quite a lot this evening but it seems to be petering out as it makes landfall, I have also heard people talking about tomorrow whereas the meto say showers will be dying out tomorrow, does anyone know whats going on! :wallbash:

Posted

ah ok... this shows the two bands look like they are getting closer to each otheer. do you think they could join in the middle or is that not technically possible?

temp dropped back to -0.7oC here.

It's quite possible yes- that's why we hear forecasters say "showers merging to give longer spells of rain/snow" for example. It doesn't look like happening in this particular case though.

What do you think of the chances for the boro area? I could have sworn looking at the radar that we were in for quite a lot this evening but it seems to be petering out as it makes landfall, I have also heard people talking about tomorrow whereas the meto say showers will be dying out tomorrow, does anyone know whats going on! :D

Well, they're wrong on that last count- the showers won't be dying away until late on Thursday. This evening looks less favourable than expected but past midnight we should see more in the way of showers fire in. The main problem is the ENE flow only slowly pushing inland so some inland areas are still under a northerly particularly in the south of the region.

Posted

seriously getting worried now, this thawing is happening fast, dripping galore from the roof top, even the grass is starting to pop through the snow, I dont want any showers at the minute they would surely fall as rain wouldnt they? :D

Posted

Izi, is your thermometer in your fridge?

You always seem to be miles colder than everybody else. This cannot be.

Posted

Had actually had a light snow shower with no signs of hail at all, shame it could not of been heavier snow but never mind.

Apparently the Tyne & Wear Metro are stopping now because of the snowy conditions(bit surprising considering we probably have seen worse conditions than these), not sure how true this is as it was my sister who said this as she got sent home from work for that reason but if it gets worst during the night, then tomorrow morning could be interesting for the wrong reasons. :D

I assume and hope as the isobars head slightly southwards, so will those isobars hence we may get some snow showers during the night. I'm certainly not going to put faith into that one but it would be nice if the showers increase in there frequency.

Posted

Evening all. New to the forum and to Netweather after hearing my brother go on about it for so long. Just had a nightmare of a drive home from work so just sat in front of the laptop watching the results come in :)

Posted

Izi, is your thermometer in your fridge?

You always seem to be miles colder than everybody else. This cannot be.

actually, i am the one whos normally got a higher temp! :drinks: its now reading -1.3oC here in south goosforth. looking out the window it looks frozen still. what is everyone else readin?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

No thaw here at all; I've had over an inch tonight but I haven't been out for a proper measure, just what was near the door. There must be over 20cm on our lawn now with another line of showers which looks likely to hit. Much better than what I expected earlier, with much more to come! :)

Also seen/heard sheet lightening/thunder three times so far. Temp reading -1.

Edited by fozi999

Posted

I'm reading the posts in this thread with interest tonight as there is a slim chance some of the heavy showers you have been getting may make it over the Pennines into my neck of the woods, they seem to be travelling in the right direction, but as ever the Pennines will dictate what actually happens.

Does anyone think parts of Cumbria may catch some of the showers you have been seeing they do look to have been rather potent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Snowing here heavy but only small flakes :) and dave im not thawing at all mate

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Snowing here heavy but only small flakes :whistling: and dave im not thawing at all mate

pleased to hear that snowman1 and cheers for your concern lol

its all going pete tong here, I'm going all tropical all of a sudden lmao

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

actually, i am the one whos normally got a higher temp! :whistling: its now reading -1.3oC here in south goosforth. looking out the window it looks frozen still. what is everyone else readin?

-1.1°C here so that sounds about right :blush: Those showers piling into North Northumberland should affect Tyneside later in the night, you can see the showers developing just to the south of the band now way out in the North Sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Apparently the Tyne & Wear Metro are stopping now because of the snowy conditions(bit surprising considering we probably have seen worse conditions than these), not sure how true this is as it was my sister who said this as she got sent home from work for that reason but if it gets worst during the night, then tomorrow morning could be interesting for the wrong reasons. :blush:

Where did you hear this? No service problems reported on their website. <_<