Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Dan Corbett is bigging up the snow showers on Thursday, looks good as another low pressure moves in during tomorrow night from the East :)

Oops, meant to add this to previous post as I don't like double posting :)

Edited by alza

Posted

Showers seem to really be pepping up out at sea at the moment, snowing here again too. Still quite fine flakes but they are covering the pavements, not enough to really cover the treated roads at the moment though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Dan Corbett is bigging up the snow showers on Thursday, looks good as another low pressure moves in during tomorrow night from the East smile.gif

Oops, meant to add this to previous post as I don't like double posting oops.gif

Wonderful! were getting a dumping at long last! drinks.gif and according to met the outlook is the same during the weekend bloody hell! mellow.gif If i cant get school off this week because of snow ill never get it off lol yahoo.gif

Posted

The showers out to sea keep breaking up and giving me a headache! the big blob we were talking about earlier has, and doesnt look that great any more. Just had a hail shower here.

Edited by izi

Posted

I think after the rollercoaster ride we've seen from previous forecasts, I'm not going to get my hopes up too much for anything last in the week just yet :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've gone back down to Norwich today, so I won't be around in this thread as much. It suffices to say, though, that my forecast of frequent snow showers on the 6th/7th and then drier from the 8th onwards with just occasional flurries, and 10-20cm of snow for most, still stands.

In Norwich there's just an inch of powder snow, so although the main snow potential transfers to East Anglia over the next few days (and indeed into the foreseeable future) we have a lot of catching up to do! I was very lucky with the trains- I made it south through the main area of snow without incident (just a 10 minute delay) but if I'd booked one of the subsequent trains I may well have faced serious disruption.

Posted

The showers out to sea keep breaking up and giving me a headache! the big blob we were talking about earlier has, and doesnt look that great any more. Just had a hail shower here.

I know its really frustrating! They were the biggest snow pellets I've seen in ages! Most of them came down the chimney so you could pick them up inside, and they were at least 2-3cm wide.

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

the 16:30 radar is a joke. All the shower activity has just gone! ah pants.

I've gone back down to Norwich today, so I won't be around in this thread as much. It suffices to say, though, that my forecast of frequent snow showers on the 6th/7th and then drier from the 8th onwards with just occasional flurries, and 10-20cm of snow for most, still stands.

In Norwich there's just an inch of powder snow, so although the main snow potential transfers to East Anglia over the next few days (and indeed into the foreseeable future) we have a lot of catching up to do! I was very lucky with the trains- I made it south through the main area of snow without incident (just a 10 minute delay) but if I'd booked one of the subsequent trains I may well have faced serious disruption.

Hi TWS, glad you made it down south OK, its a shame you won't be around so much as your input was greatly appreciated.

Do you understand why the showers out to sea keep disapering?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't think the circulation is favourable- you have an ENE'ly out at sea which swings around to a straight northerly just inland from the coast and this hinders the inland penetration of showers. Showers should get further inland tonight as the ENE flow becomes more pronounced across the region.

16:30 radar is a glitch- every once in a while this happens, you get a one-off radar update that understates precipitation. It will be back to how it was at 16:25 in the 16:35 update.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

the 16:30 radar is a joke. All the shower activity has just gone! ah pants.

Hi TWS, glad you made it down south OK, its a shame you won't be around so much as your input was greatly appreciated.

Do you understand why the showers out to sea keep disapering?

Somethings up with the radar, just typical!

On the Netweather radar the 16:30 is fine, then after that has gone wrong.

Looks like Stanley has had a pretty big shower over it for a while, in 5 mins time i'll be heading home from Consett to Stanley, I'm expecting it to take longer than the usual 20mins.

EDIT: Radar has corrected itself, 16:45 is ok.

Looks like I'll be drving in snow the whole way home.

Posted

I don't think the circulation is favourable- you have an ENE'ly out at sea which swings around to a straight northerly just inland from the coast and this hinders the inland penetration of showers. Showers should get further inland tonight as the ENE flow becomes more pronounced across the region.

16:30 radar is a glitch- every once in a while this happens, you get a one-off radar update that understates precipitation. It will be back to how it was at 16:25 in the 16:35 update.

ah fair enough.

Speak of the devil, a heavy snow shower has arrived at last! :drinks:

Posted

I think its the new Sunderland based radar thats gone on the blink. Should be back soon.

Mark

Posted

Very heavy bursts of snow now, 2-3cm must've accumulated in the last 15 minutes I'd say, and its even more intense than the 19th December and the flakes are as big as the palms of my hands :drinks:

Edited by alza

Posted

16:45 is updated and finally the MetO has solved the problem.

Posted

Very heavy bursts of snow now, 2-3 must've accumulated in the last 15 minutes I'd say, and its even more intense than the 19th December and the flakes are as big as the palms of my hands :lol:

It must be stopping at Chilli Road then cause there not a jot on Shields road :cold:

Posted

Very heavy bursts of snow now, 2-3 must've accumulated in the last 15 minutes I'd say, and its even more intense than the 19th December and the flakes are as big as the palms of my hands :cold:

I seen that shower that hit you and Izi but it missed me typically.

Oh well, i was kinda hoping for more showers than we had today and the BBC graphics don't look as encouraging for tonight than earlier but we know we should never trust them.

And i'm not even going to talk about Thursday's potential, it might looks good now but it means nothing at this stage.

Posted

I seen that shower that hit you and Izi but it missed me typically.

Oh well, i was kinda hoping for more showers than we had today and the BBC graphics don't look as encouraging for tonight than earlier but we know we should never trust them.

And i'm not even going to talk about Thursday's potential, it might looks good now but it means nothing at this stage.

dont give up hope yet, I was always under the impression the most showers would happen through this evening. Still many out to sea, so keep watching the radar. Must of had about 1cm from the last shower.

Posted

There are breaks in the cloud now so I presume it will be dry for a while now, there is 3cm on the car which was cleared yesterday afternoon, so about 2cm must have fallen from the last shower.

Posted

very fine hail here after the snow shower. It looks like rain its so fine!

Strange shower this one,heavy fine hail at first,now moderate snow.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Temperature has gone up here right on the coast 1.3°C as the surface winds have changed from a nor'westerly to a Nor'easterly, dont think it'll make that much difference to the precipitation type, but is kinda' worrying just the same. Dp's have risen over 0°C to 0.4°C....Sst's certainly having an effect

Posted

Strange shower this one,heavy fine hail at first,now moderate snow.

to be honest, it start as fine hail, turned to snow, then back to fine hail again.

there are some beefy showers out to sea. why o why won't they come and sprinkle 6inches of snow over us?

Posted

A good heavy snow shower here,biggish flakes too

Send it here :yahoo:

Mark