Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

went to bed and it was lighly snowing, woke up and its lighly raining and its deffo warmed up a touch wallbash.gif whats going on?

Same here mate but the dew point has now dropped back below freezing so anyything falls will now be snow,

Posted

looks like shower activity is already starting from the east

1cm fell from the main band here, looks like my prediction may be right after all :D (for newcastle)

Edited by izi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Snowing here drinks.gif

Posted

Had about 0.5cm overnight, hardly worth getting up to look at.

20 days consecutive snow cover now.

Posted

lunch time fun, fingers crossed

looks like the ne flow might make these ones miss us, and there is nothing much in line of sight.

Posted

Looks like few places are in for a right old hammering and we are relying on scattered showers again. Ace.

Like Tucco said, although this spell (certainly for low ground) has been memorable for duration and cold, we have had neither a heavy snowfall event or extreme low temperature.

Posted

Looks like few places are in for a right old hammering and we are relying on scattered showers again. Ace.

Like Tucco said, although this spell (certainly for low ground) has been memorable for duration and cold, we have had neither a heavy snowfall event or extreme low temperature.

i'd agree in newcastle/towns, although 20 miles out of town to the west there is 10 inches of snow. Both my brother and my mum have confirmed living about 5 miles apart. When it was wet and sleety/rain in town, it was snowing out there and has remained a few degrees colder through out so less thaw occoured.

This winter by far has been the best for a long time, but for many places like newcastle we are yet to see a big fall of snow. We have had about 2.5inchs at most i'd say, on two seperate occasions both times a thaw has set in and turned it to ice. Not the most fun of conditions.

I am hopping that the showers organise in to a longer spell of snow for us over the next 36 hours. The potential is there for quite a bit of snow. Here's hoping!

Edited by izi

Posted

I just cannot see us missing some heavy snow showers in the next 48 hours-most places will imo get at least another 4-6", if thats not enough then some of us are getting particular.

Posted

I just cannot see us missing some heavy snow showers in the next 48 hours-most places will imo get at least another 4-6", if thats not enough then some of us are getting particular.

I can't see 4-6", which is 10-15cm, just off showers.

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Isnt it funny how a lot of us up here have had 8-10 inches on the gound since new years day which got no mention on national news or weather.

Now the south is forcast for 3-4 inches and its headline news!

Had a dusting here over night of about and inches and a half. We always seem to get our biggest snow amounts in showers here.

Anyway off onto the massive sledge run now!

On the 10am met radar a hint of the showers intensifying over the north sea heading straight for us!

Edited by tynevalleywinter

Posted

I can't see 4-6", which is 10-15cm, just off showers.

Hi TP.

I wouldn't underestimate the potency of some of these showers later on today, overnight and in to tomorrow.

I think there will be some very deep towering cloud and if one of those sits over you, or two or three link up then you can easily get 4" snow in 1 hour !

It is possible, I guess, that some favoured areas (Consett, Stanley, Tyne Valley etc) could get over a foot of snow before Friday, on top of what they already have!

Could be that many people won't get into work tomorrow, or those on nightshifts tonight won't get home ( put in for overtime heehee).

Enjoy,

Karl

Posted

i'd be estatic with 4-6" of snow from the showers, but I dont see it happening. Again, i'd love to be wrong!

The showers are now in a NE to SE flow, so we need to look out for showers at around a 45 degree angle from the sea.

The heavy showers to our north look pretty intense, but with the NE flow in full swing they are not coming further south towards Newcastle area.

The attached shows the current direction things are moving. It does look like the showers will pick up this afternoon.

post-2491-12626868226625_thumb.png

Posted

You're most probably right but the bit in bold is the fatal flaw

Hi TP.

I wouldn't underestimate the potency of some of these showers later on today, overnight and in to tomorrow.

I think there will be some very deep towering cloud and if one of those sits over you, or two or three link up then you can easily get 4" snow in 1 hour !

"If" normally means "not" in my location.

Posted

You're most probably right but the bit in bold is the fatal flaw

"If" normally means "not" in my location.

I've seen it happen before. Those showers developing to our North and over the sea are moving oh so slowly atm. If as I suspect, they begin generating a bit closer to shore later on ( 6pm onwards) then they could dump large amounts in a short space of time over a few lucky places. Prepare to open the Snowdome !

Karl

Posted

I've seen it happen before. Those showers developing to our North and over the sea are moving oh so slowly atm. If as I suspect, they begin generating a bit closer to shore later on ( 6pm onwards) then they could dump large amounts in a short space of time over a few lucky places. Prepare to open the Snowdome !

Karl

If you compare the two radar grabs, one from 7am and one from 1030am you can see the speed at which showers are increasing. This could organise itself in to some prolonged areas of snow later

EDIT: attached wrong pics! go to bbc radar http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html here to see what i mean

post-2491-12626890834325_thumb.png

post-2491-12626890897825.png

Edited by izi

Posted

nice!

suck in the office inbetween to sets of buildings with only concrete to look at!

Posted

If you compare the two radar grabs, one from 7am and one from 1030am you can see the speed at which showers are increasing. This could organise itself in to some prolonged areas of snow later

post-4252-12626909970725_thumb.png

This is what the above chart is forecasting... :)

Very good for the NE of the NE, not so good for midds ... Tyne and Wear may just get lucky later on, but the main snow risk is for places like boulmer...

SM06

Posted

The Tyne valley at 10 am today looking NW

post-10965-12626913225625_thumb.jpg

Posted

post-4252-12626909970725_thumb.png

This is what the above chart is forecasting... :cc_confused:

Very good for the NE of the NE, not so good for midds ... Tyne and Wear may just get lucky later on, but the main snow risk is for places like boulmer...

SM06

Take it with a huge pinch of salt ( if there's any left lol). We're all going to get it tonight, by 7-oopm Tyne and Wear will be enjoying heavy snow showers !

Posted

Light snow shower passing through Crammy at the moment, north of here there is a big CB just looks like a white wall ill try and get a pic looks awesome!

Posted

Take it with a huge pinch of salt ( if there's any left lol). We're all going to get it tonight, by 7-oopm Tyne and Wear will be enjoying heavy snow showers !

I hope your right SNOW MACKEM, but i wouldnt hold out much hope, whilst yes im expecting more than the GFS is currently showing, i am not expecting 4-6 inches highlight by other members, if we get another inch i think well do well.

What is shearly amazing about this cold snap is the length, not the bitter cold nor the snow depths, it is sheerly the length. I dont think we have got much above 5 degrees now in 3 weeks.

One thing i would have traded this cold snap in for, 3 days of heavy snow in comparison to 8cm's and 3 weeks of it being very cold.

There is plenty of time yet though for me to have to dig my way out my front door, but im running out of time because i need it for monday to get my Further Pure 2 Maths exam called off!

:)

SNOW-MAN2006

Edited by SNOW-MAN2006