Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

It's really not that bad out there. As usual they take the decision early. There is a little bit of lying slush and all the surface frost has been taken out by that. It's actually safer out there today than last night.

Not bad here either, although quite a bit has fallen, some slushy roads

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

It looks very ominous over the irish sea at the moment:

994.jpg

Posted

It's really not that bad out there. As usual they take the decision early. There is a little bit of lying slush and all the surface frost has been taken out by that. It's actually safer out there today than last night.

Are we due any more? I'll be having to take the day off tomorrow to look after the kids too if so!

Posted

A470 update for the likes of andy whos trying to access cams! a470 upper both ways is very slow but moving. snow lying but not too bad. some drivers pulled over to hard shoulder though, guess too worried to drive. schools locally now closing - st michaels, treforest and hawthorn primary. buses from pontypridd town centre - veolia now stopped services - only stagecoach operating one service covering many locations. dynea road, just off cardiff road hawthorn, treacherous, accident on hill, now ambulance skidded into the already done accident.

stopped snowin

Posted

We had rain>sleet>snow then back to rain about an hour ago. Now we got sunshine here in barry lol. Hopefully, get some tonight.

Posted

Why are the traffic webcams not working, typical and absolutely PATHETIC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

I don't hold out much hope for tonight.

I reckon anything East of Bristol will get it. Still a weather warning for Monmouthshire but i think they are just playing safe.

Hope I'm wrong

Posted

Why are the traffic webcams not working, typical and absolutely PATHETIC

its either the fibre connections from traffic wales or worse still the fibre connections from cameras to control centre. fibre can operate at low temps but weather can affect satellite links, which the likes of traffic wales use for their uplinks.

Posted

I don't hold out much hope for tonight.

I reckon anything East of Bristol will get it. Still a weather warning for Monmouthshire but i think they are just playing safe.

Hope I'm wrong

Yea looks like its moving east like some people predicted. Ahh well always Feb :yahoo:

Posted

its either the fibre connections from traffic wales or worse still the fibre connections from cameras to control centre. fibre can operate at low temps but weather can affect satellite links, which the likes of traffic wales use for their uplinks.

But its a webcam, i checked a few webcams in Lapland last night and they were working! And it was -33C

Yea looks like its moving east like some people predicted. Ahh well always Feb :(

How so negative? It's only the 5th of January!

Posted

Lol, Traffic Wales don't use fibre anything, and fibre certainly wouldn't be affected by temperatures being 0c. Their site is just overloaded

Posted

i dont think any of wales will see much in the way of snow tonight, i think it will be bad around oxford and as far west as maybe bristol,been watching a few diff weather sites and all say from newport accross but i also think they being carefull,sounds like oxford area etc could see very large amounts of snow up and above 40cm. my kids just come in and said they sent us home for this? not enough to make a snow ball and that be from whole garden lol,why send them home when there is nothing about? maybe they now sumin lol

Posted

Gutted.

Sorry haven't updated thi smorning!I got stuck in my car!

Back in the warm now, but there is 13cm of lying snow on the grass here... with more snow pushing in over the Preseli hills... very heavy snow earlier this morning across north Pembrokeshire down to Narberth and Whitland.

Posted

Sorry haven't updated thi smorning!I got stuck in my car!

Back in the warm now, but there is 13cm of lying snow on the grass here... with more snow pushing in over the Preseli hills... very heavy snow earlier this morning across north Pembrokeshire down to Narberth and Whitland.

Hi keep us updated on the situation there, looks like another batch of showers is pushing in the next few hours.

Posted

Thank god they got it wrong again. In a way I'm grateful that I live where I do as snow is a very, very rare occurrence. A full downgrade on the situation for South Wales has been issued, so only high lying places will see snow and even then the accumulations will be small - a few inches at most.

Looking poor for the next few days as well. No significant falls to write home about.

That's complete nonsense, Come to Southern Carmarthenshrie we've had 15cm of snow this morning, yes i have elevation but places down on the coast have had a blanket of snow and its currenlty snowing here again.

Posted

Lol, Traffic Wales don't use fibre anything, and fibre certainly wouldn't be affected by temperatures being 0c. Their site is just overloaded

actually just heard from friend of mine who works there its due to being over-loaded, spot on.

Posted

Morning All!

And what a morning it has been- sent home from work due to the snow!

Certainly no despondency in SW Wales. 2-4 inches fresh snow and more on the way. Look at that front in the Irish Sea arching back into W Wales. That is going to pack a punch.

As for tonight- anything can happen. Be prepared for surprises.

Posted

Hi keep us updated on the situation there, looks like another batch of showers is pushing in the next few hours.

Ohh man I didnt know they had downgraded anything thats a real bummer was looking forward to a real winter wonderland later.

I think I just watch the radar and bow out the forums for a bit. Hope it all changes again. Where is jackone when you need him :D

Posted

Thank god they got it wrong again. In a way I'm grateful that I live where I do as snow is a very, very rare occurrence. A full downgrade on the situation for South Wales has been issued, so only high lying places will see snow and even then the accumulations will be small - a few inches at most.

Looking poor for the next few days as well. No significant falls to write home about.

Er... I don't think so!

Posted

Morning All!

Certainly no despondency in SW Wales. 2-4 inches fresh snow and more on the way. Look at that front in the Irish Sea arching back into W Wales. That is going to pack a punch.

It might do, but to me it looks like it's weakening a little.

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

Morning All!

As for tonight- anything can happen. Be prepared for surprises.

I totally agree, that intense band of snow arching around and heading in all our direction looks something to keep an eye on. remember, that the BBC can only forecast what they think is going to happen. I am suggesting this low will be larger than anticipated and much more areas will get a lot more snow from it. I can see 25cm quite widespread. I don't see any downgrade this end. We'll just to keep an eye on the next few hours to see how this pans out. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight..Ill be constantly getting out of bed and having a curtain twitch....annoying though is that they have switched my street lamps off after 130 and i cant see diddly

Cwmbran SE Wales 150m asl West Pontnewydd Upper Cwmbran

Steve