Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Just short rain showers here this morning so far.I hope we don't have yet another disapointment and not get any snow!

We had sleet here near Wimborne this morning! then a heavy wintry shower rain/sleet about 30mins ago. Lets hope we get our foot of snow tonight! believe it when i see it though!

Posted

Dogs, is that heavy stuff you've had going to reach us anytime soon do you reckon?

I dont know mate...Honest I was just in AWE of what or the amount of consistent snow that came out of the sky here...The video's were taken Before It got to Siberian standard's..lol

I havent been watching the radar....been to amazing to see the amount of snow here,

I realy dont know whats happening as the internet GOT extremly bad....But getting better now..

good luck..

Snowing here But not as heavy....saying that it looks like its slowly picking up again..

Who gets this heavy snow shower...wont forgett in a hurry..lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Stopped snowing now just as i went to collect my daughter from the closing infant school, must be around 3 inches of snow now with the roads treacherous cars sliding and skidding about even on the flat!

hi guys my very first post on here, we are in the middle of a sleet shower in christchurch now, which has just stopped. Im really looking forward to tonight. if this hits right it could be something that we havent seen in many years. All those on the south coast, dont panic it will happen, it was expected to start this way!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Same here 'Snowman 15' I'll believe it when I see it !

Posted

Hello all

Apologies again, as this will be a very short post - I've just finished work, raced home and now turn around to return to a Bristol hotel to stay along with my colleague Rich Angwin and others, as it's very evident we won't otherwise journey to work tomorrow.

It's clearly not escaped your notice that the NAE prediction is not only coming to fruition but very worringly, is tending to underplay the likely snowfall amounts between now and end of Wednesday. To offer an idea of the sort of figures, the latest NAE offers a spot total for Salisbury of 38cm and we consider this an underestimate, ditto into parts of Hants, Dorset, Berks, Oxon and elsewhere in Wilts (I have no time to post this onto the relevant regional threads).

Our UKMO high resolution modelling consistently upgrades snowfall totals for much of Wilts, Glos, Bristol & environs, and parts of Somerset at around 10 to spot 20cm totals, possibly more.

A wider swathe will have 5-10cm.

For these reasons the MO and PWS elected to issue an Emergency Flash Warning today. These are rare: I believe only two issued in 2009; one for the severe snow of southern London areas, Feb 2009; and the Cumbria rainfall/floods more recently. It is the highest tier of warning.

In a note to BBC presenting and UKMO staff, I paraphrase how the head of the Met Office today urged us to recognise that this is shaping up to be the most severe snowfall event for much of central southern England in the past 30 years. That summarises the MO's words, not mine.

It will be an exceptional event for many, especially those on this thread in Wilts but also severe consequences for many others by later tonight. Do take care, don't go getting stuckk in cars!

Right, off back to Bristol - will try, if possible, to offer any quick updates from work later today.

Ian

Edited by Ian Fergusson

Posted

Its as though someone has burst a thousand pillows above my head ! Enormous snow flakes !

But possibly signifying the back end. Just need the wrap around later !

John in Quedgeley, Gloucester :yahoo:

Posted

Hello all

Apologies again, as this will be a very short post - I've just finished work, raced home and now turn around to return to a Bristol hotel to stay along with my colleague Rich Angwin and others, as it's very evident we won't otherwise journey to work tomorrow.

It's clearly not escaped your notice that the NAE prediction is not only coming to fruition but very worringly, is tending to underplay the likely snowfall amounts between now and end of Wednesday. To offer an idea of the sort of figures, the latest NAE offers a spot total for Salisbury of 38cm and we consider this an underestimate, ditto into parts of Hants, Dorset, Berks, Oxon and elsewhere in Wilts (I have no time to post this onto the relevant regional threads).

Our UKMO high resolution modelling consistently upgrades snowfall totals for much of Wilts, Glos, Bristol & environs, and parts of Somerset at around 10 to spot 20cm totals, possibly more.

For these reasons the MO and PWS elected to issue an Emergency Flash Warning today. These are rare: I believe only two issued in 2009; one for the severe snow of southern London areas, Feb 2009; and the Cumbria rainfall/floods more recently. It is the highest tier of warning.

In a note to BBC presenting and UKMO staff, I paraphrase how the head of the Met Office today urged us to recognise that this is shaping up to be the most severe snowfall event for much of central southern England in the past 30 years. That summarises the MO's words, not mine.

It will be an exceptional event for many, especially those on this thread in Wilts but also severe consequences for many others by later tonight. Do take care, don't go getting stuckk in cars!

Right, off back to Bristol - will try, if possible, to offer any quick updates from work later today.

Ian

Thanks Ian. Brill post, as usual.

Posted

Hello all

Ian

thanks ian :drinks:

Posted

Hello all

Ian

cheers Ian..

many thanks for the update's

Ian I never witnessed such a heavy snowfall in a short time in all my 43 yrs...

There will be many caught out and stuck in parts of the West,

I bet this will be on the news later...

My brother as seen a few cars from Teddington to Bishops Cleave in ditches.

A very nasty fast snowfall I have ever seen in Glos

Edited by dogs32

Posted

thanks Ian nothing here as of yet! few light snow showers

It's been thick and fast in Bradley Stoke - widespread covering already. Got to log off now, heading back to the BBC. Catch you all later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Thanks very much for the updates, Ian! Total respect to you in these fascinating conditions giving very difficult forecasts, all the best. If you have the time, I'd like to ask - what kind of spot totals are we looking at for Gloucestershire?

We have 5cm here already, and I've just been out to survey the roads. None of the local roads have been gritted, and the cars are moving very slowly on the main roads. I've got some pictures which I will upload here in a few minutes to give and idea of the conditions. The snow has eased off now but that heavy area of snow was over us for about 3 hours.

Posted

Thanks Ian, Your post is much appreciated especially at this busy time, I don't know how you do it!!!

It's sounding like I may be close to the main event tonight and it's sounding like a special one :unsure:

Posted

Afternoon All,

just managed to get the car back home! Travelled form Bristol via Tetbury with snow falling all the way, but it was not until I reached Fossebridge that the conditions worsened.

Roads very tricky, heavy snow falling with around 2 ins already settled. Visibility is also a problem.

All this before the main event tonight!!!